Soundcraft Series 600 White noise - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcraft Series 600 White noise
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Soundcraft Series 600 White noise

Hello,

Just got a Soundcraft 600. The line inputs have a pretty loud white noise on them (TV static vibes, not an unpleasant noise, just too loud to be acceptable). The caps all look fine but are 20 years old. the IC's are the original TL072. The power supply caps look good, but also 20 years old. The loom looks fine, but heard/read it can be the cause. I can hear the white noise in the headphone jack or the direct out of the channel. so do I

1. Recap the input module? (just the Electrolytic caps? or film and those 1J100 style ones as well?
2. Recap the master module?
3. Change the IC to the same thing just new?
4. Change IC to something different (direct swap?)
5. Change loom?
6. Recap power supply?
7. What am I not considering? (ie, am I missing something?)

Thank you all in advance.

Viceroy

Last edited by Viceroy is a cat; 3 days ago at 05:47 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru
Caps will not affect the hiss nor will the power supply. IC's cannot be swapped without circuit changes.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
Caps will not affect the hiss nor will the power supply. IC's cannot be swapped without circuit changes.
So are you saying it's the IC's? if so... well. that sucks. even replacing "like with like" IC's? I assume they did not originally sell this desk with this level of noise? perhaps they did. Do aged IC's degrade audio quality? I don't know.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As usual with this type of post, no actual measurements are given. Now Soundcraft did make some dodgy mixers, but the line inputs were generally acceptably quiet. So you need to give us some measurements of signal to noise. If the noise is -70 or -80 dB,then it is probably as it was when built. So if thats not good enough for you, sell it and buy a flasher unit.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru
I have a 600 in the shop now. It requires a lot of design and part changes. However, it is pretty close to silent now, no hiss with line at +20 db, no hiss with hi EQ full up. Run it unity gain with a high level DAC input and noise is not an issue. The stereo sum is re-set to unity gain as well, master faders are set full up at +10 db for unity gain, like SSL. That takes an extra 10 db of noise gain off the mix outputs.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
I have a 600 in the shop now. It requires a lot of design and part changes. However, it is pretty close to silent now, no hiss with line at +20 db, no hiss with hi EQ full up. Run it unity gain with a high level DAC input and noise is not an issue. The stereo sum is re-set to unity gain as well, master faders are set full up at +10 db for unity gain, like SSL. That takes an extra 10 db of noise gain off the mix outputs.
oh... I see... I didn't get what was happening before. apologies.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…