The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Leslie 122A has hum fields
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Leslie 122A has hum fields

I bought a Hammond C3 organ with a very new Leslie 122A. When stereo mixing the cabinet the right side mic always exhibits hum...which never appeared on the older Leslie 122. The only difference I see is they no longer have 4 motors (hi & low speed for top rotors and hi & low speed for bottom rotor. They now use a solid state PCB which feeds variable pulse width square wave AC to the top & bottom motors. My workaround was to remove that top & bottom back panels and mic it from the rear, but we get engineers in here that want to put mics on the sides. I can't be the only one experiencing this. Any suggestions for mods or shielding (mu metal?). Thanks in advance!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrasound ➡️
I bought a Hammond C3 organ with a very new Leslie 122A. When stereo mixing the cabinet the right side mic always exhibits hum...which never appeared on the older Leslie 122. The only difference I see is they no longer have 4 motors (hi & low speed for top rotors and hi & low speed for bottom rotor. They now use a solid state PCB which feeds variable pulse width square wave AC to the top & bottom motors. My workaround was to remove that top & bottom back panels and mic it from the rear, but we get engineers in here that want to put mics on the sides. I can't be the only one experiencing this. Any suggestions for mods or shielding (mu metal?). Thanks in advance!
Are you using a dynamic mic? They are quite susceptible to hum fields. A condenser might help.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie ➡️
Are you using a dynamic mic? They are quite susceptible to hum fields. A condenser might help.
I'll try a pair of SDC transformer less mic.s
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…