The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Smart Plugs and interference
Old 9th April 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Smart Plugs and interference

Hi gearspace

Soo, i'm opening up this thread again in the GeekZone.

I'm thinking of buying a couple of smart plugs to power up my studio in sequence.

Now the question: Does a smart plug bring any interference to monitors or audio interface? I do mixing & mastering and can't have any intererence.

The smart plug I'd like to buy ( https://mystrom.ch/wifi-switch-ch/ ) has a built-in wattage meter/counter and I learned from physics class that you can't measure anything without changing it. Question is: How is it changed and does it interfere with my audio equipment?

Any thoughts/experience about/with this?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 10th April 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimnebluna ➡️
Hi gearspace

Soo, i'm opening up this thread again in the GeekZone.

I'm thinking of buying a couple of smart plugs to power up my studio in sequence.

Now the question: Does a smart plug bring any interference to monitors or audio interface? I do mixing & mastering and can't have any intererence.

The smart plug I'd like to buy ( https://mystrom.ch/wifi-switch-ch/ ) has a built-in wattage meter/counter and I learned from physics class that you can't measure anything without changing it. Question is: How is it changed and does it interfere with my audio equipment?

Any thoughts/experience about/with this?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Why do you want to use a device with a few dozen ( or few hundred if it is network capable ) semiconductors with all the opportunities for failure to replace a couple of on/off switches on AC strips?
Old 11th April 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
OK. fair question if you put it like this.

Answer: Probably a combination of lazyness and enthusiasm for new technologies.
Old 11th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well that's a good reason if spending time troubleshooting and playing with your recording equipment is your goal. If instead you're trying to use the recording gear to accomplish finished audio projects then keeping things simple is often the best course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimnebluna ➡️
OK.... enthusiasm for new technologies.
Old 12th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are two general types of smart plugs, the dimmer kind and the switch only kind. Within that, some of the high-power appliance switches use a mechanical relay as the switching element, which is a physical switch. They are the kind that induce no noise into the system. The others may also be fairly clean, or not, and there's no good way to predict, just try one and measure the resulting noise.

A physics professor might tell you you can 't measure anything without changing it, but an engineering professor would say for all practical purposes, yes you can. I'm more of the latter, I measure things all the time without changing them.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…