The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can someone please help me identify a replacement for these faders?
Old 30th March 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Can someone please help me identify a replacement for these faders?

Hi,

I'm trying to fix an old genlock (not quite music gear, but audio/visual for sure) and the faders are broken. They look low quality and quite particular and I've had no luck finding anything that look like them or seem to fit the PCB.

The fader/slider housing is 69-70mm long, the metal slider itself (within the disassembled fader) is 50mm long. There are three pins beneath the slider that make soldered contact with the PCB. The distance from the top pins to the bottom pin is 52mm. The distance between the two top pins is 8mm. The writing on underneath the slider reads, from left to right:

A, 035, 10k, Preh, E, S

A, E and S are for the three pins.

I've uploaded pictures to an imgur gallary. I hope that is a good way to share pictures, and I really hope someone is able to help in some way. I'm at my wits end.
Old 30th March 2021
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I replaced some like this on a tapco. Not exactly the same but pita all the same. I ended up ordering a bunch that might fit snd then using some wire to make it work. Good luck.
Old 30th March 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Someone gave me a mother board from an old audio console. There were lots of these pots on the board but it was taking up space and I finally tossed it. This was about a year ago...The person who gave it to me wanted me to "un-solder" all the components for "spares" for his other boards and I told him no way but he never picked up the board. I don't remember the make or model number. Sorry!
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
That's a shame. I'm sure these are out there, but man, I've not seen anything exactly like these.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think I've seen these before.

IIRC, they're from a Chinese company called "Alpha", although yours are marked "Preh". If they're Alpha, look for a B503, or B501. You'll typically find them in cheap DJ mixers, graphic EQs and stuff like that.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano ➑️
I think I've seen these before.

IIRC, they're from a Chinese company called "Alpha", although yours are marked "Preh". If they're Alpha, look for a B503, or B501. You'll typically find them in cheap DJ mixers, graphic EQs and stuff like that.
Thank you. That's interesting. When searching "alpha B503" og "B501" i just get regular potentiometers. I'll keep looking.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
"Preh" was/is? a german potentiometer manufacturer. 10k means 10kOhm, if there is no "+" (or "-") for logarithmic then it means that it is a linear potentiometer.

A stands for "Anfang" (german for "beginning"), "E" stands for "Ende" (german for "end") and "S" stands for "Schleifer" (german for "slider").

Unfortunately I am unable to view the picture(s), therefore I can't say much about which type you have/need. Basically they made faders with metal housing and cheaper ones with plastic housing.

Similar faders were made from an other german company with the name "Ruwido". "Radiohm" and "Egen" had also similar types in their product range.

Normally the faders were classified by the movement distance, most common had 59mm movement distance but there were shorter ones like 45mm too.

Since the company was german, ebay.de will be the hottest place to go and search items like "Preh", "Ruwido", "Schieberegler", "Schiebepotentiometer" and "Flachbahnregler", could lead you to success:

https://www.ebay.de/sch/185142/i.htm...=R40&_nkw=Preh

Last edited by analogguru; 2 weeks ago at 10:46 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Preh was a Swiss company that made pots for Soundcraft, AMEK, Trident and others. They are quality carbon pots with a long lifespan. They went out of business back in 1992. Spares are rare.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
Preh was a Swiss company that made pots for Soundcraft, AMEK, Trident and others. They are quality carbon pots with a long lifespan. They went out of business back in 1992. Spares are rare.
The "wisdom" of the self-proclaimed expert "Jim Williams" is - like nearly always - a little bit different from the reality:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preh

Translation:
"The Preh GmbH is a worldwide active company-group with their central in Bad Neustadt an der Saale in Bavaria......since March 11, 1919...."

And Bavaria is a part of GERMANY and NOT of switzerland - as I wrote.....

And they didn't make pots specially for Soundcraft, AMEK, Trident and others. They made standard pots and SOLD them to everyone who wanted to buy them. The biggest buyers where customers from the AV-industry like Philips and others.... and I am not aware in which Soundcraft, AMEK, Trident product Preh-potentiometers should be found - normally there are british Radiohm and Omeg potentiometers inside.... only the vintage TAC 12-4 had 66mm FADERS inside (beside Radiohm/Omeg pots), probably made in Austria by Ruwido.

Last edited by analogguru; 2 weeks ago at 10:49 PM..
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogguru ➑️
The "wisdom" of the self-proclaimed expert "Jim Williams" is - like nearly always - a little bit different from the reality:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preh

Translation:
"The Preh GmbH is a worldwide active company-group with their central in Bad Neustadt an der Saale in Bavaria......since March 11, 1919...."

And Bavaria is a part of GERMANY and NOT of switzerland - as I wrote.....

And they didn't make pots specially for Soundcraft, AMEK, Trident and others. They made standard pots and SOLD them to everyone who wanted to buy them. The biggest buyers where customers from the AV-industry like Philips and others.... and I am not aware in which Soundcraft, AMEK, Trident product Preh-potentiometers should be found - normally there are british Radiohm and Omeg potentiometers inside....
Thanks for the info on the German terminology, very helpful especially now I'm repairing some sixties German gear. What I don't find helpful is your accusative stance towards Jim here. People make mistakes and there are nicer ways of letting them know than throwing about German-only wiki pages and tantrums on a public forum. Are you aware you come off as an absolute f*cking c*nt?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Did you know that the well known real audio expert Jim Williams already died on June 12, 2011 ?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Wi...og_designer%29

So please forgive me, when I have a problem when somebody is using this name and jumps in contributing nothing essential except spreading nonsense - and this is not the first time.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Did you know that the well known real audio expert Jim Williams already died on June 12, 2011 ?:

So please forgive me, when I have a problem when somebody is using this name and jumps in contributing nothing essential except spreading nonsense - and this is not the first time.
You dumb f*ck, there are more people with the name Jim Williams. This is a different Jim Williams, not the one from Linear Tech, but the one from Audio Upgrades. Someone that has been contributing to many forums for many years and has worked for Frank Zappa, Stevie Wonder and many others. Don't let the access to google fool you in to thinking you know everything.You seem very knowledgeable, yet your attitude is very toxic and has no place here. Shape up or get the f*ck out.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:

I apologize for being given this name when I was born, I was still unable to contribute to an alternate name selection at that time, as I first needed to learn to speak.

Yes, it's bad enough to have stolen another guy's name on my birth certificate but the real bugger is I look like his twin brother. Maybe I should legally change my name and get a face transplant as well?

As to Preh, yes they did make potentiometers for Soundcraft TS-24's, 8000's AMEKs, and others. The name is easily seen on those parts. Yes, they were custom ordered with specific tapers, sections and shafts. Most all pots are made that way.

Sorry I'm also not an expert on EU geopolitical boundries, but those have also been adjusted after we saved you in WW2. Sorry we couldn't get you East Germany too.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…