The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
optical microphone cables
Old 24th March 2021
Here for the gear

optical microphone cables

Forgive my mistake,

Do you know more about fiber optic cables in microphones? Is the construction of such a cable the same as with other fiber optic cables, What is its construction, what are the known types and manufacturers?
Old 24th March 2021
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I have never heard of optical microphone cables, so thats probably why you are not getting any search results.
Old 24th March 2021
Here for the gear

optical microphones and their cables

Do you know anything about optical microphones and their cables? Unfortunately, I didn't find much information from Google and I need it for a written work. What are the most famous types, their construction, the most famous manufacturers, etc.

Thanks in advance
Old 25th March 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Here is all you want to know about "optical microphones" https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BoJ61dShx4_jlo

I had never heard of them but an interesting approach...

FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
There's a Japanese company that makes or made optical microphones. Used by Japanese broadcast and by industry in places where conventional microphones can't be used. I just can't remember the name of the company. And, no, it's not Kenwood, even if they held one of the many patents. The Kenwood patent seems to have ended up with an Israeli defense company that's only interested in cyber defense these days.

There's also Optoacoustics:

https://www.optoacoustics.com/indust...ic-microphones

And even Sennheiser has one these days:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._2000_Set.html

The cables used are diverse, as some optical microphones use a LED as light source, while others use a laser diode. There's very little info about the membrane and some even claim not to have a membrane. Of course, there's even a MEMS variant, but again, I forgot who makes it.

The microphones are very expensive but very promising. Cables can be kilometers long without any interference. Frequency range extends into the ultrasonic easily. They are also insensitive to heat, water, chemicals, radiation...
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…