The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Masterizing Mods
Old 18th March 2021
Gear Head

Masterizing Mods

I love my Portico 5033, but it's got a terrible interface for mastering, which got me thinking, how do-able would a mod be to add a front panel with stereo controls, nice chunky stepped pots, you could leave the original there to and use the original pots as offsets, if you wanted to do some M/S or something.

Something like this...

You could do it for 500 modules using something like the DIYRE 2 slot chasis, then you can use whatever modules you want to, and not be tied to manufacturers releasing mastering versions.
Old 31st March 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Man, if this could be done! Can’t believe they discontinued the 5033. If someone could make them stepped, they’d be used for so many stereo situations and master Buss is one.
Old 31st March 2021
Gear Head

Yeah, my idea may be a bit too grandiose, just a stepped pot replacement would be great. ATM I do use them as stereo but always M/S
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddd_r ➡️
Yeah, my idea may be a bit too grandiose, just a stepped pot replacement would be great. ATM I do use them as stereo but always M/S
Mind if I message you about that?
Old 1st April 2021
Gear Head

Yeah, no problem
Old 1st April 2021
Asian made stepped carbon pots are made at 20% tolerance, 10% on special order (rarely done). Even if you use those there is no guaranty they will match up at any setting. Best case is to take a batch of them and try to match some up or use stepped switches with precision resistors.
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
Asian made stepped carbon pots are made at 20% tolerance, 10% on special order (rarely done). Even if you use those there is no guaranty they will match up at any setting. Best case is to take a batch of them and try to match some up or use stepped switches with precision resistors.
Many moons ago I bought all the components necessary to DIY two Neve 1081s. Elma rotary dual concentric stepped switches, inductors, etc. That build, however, is never gonna happen. Maybe those Elmas could be used for what you’re describing?
Old 3rd April 2021
Good luck fitting those is a small 1/2 rack box. Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations".
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…