The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does anyone actually LIKE prototyping with turret board?
Old 25th February 2021
Here for the gear

Does anyone actually LIKE prototyping with turret board?

I've done my previous designs straight to PCB, but decided that I wanted to try prototyping on turret board this round. Before, I'd only repaired turret board construction or built the occasional, simple kit... never designed from scratch.

Does anyone actually like using it for prototyping? My design's fairly complex (2 channels, tube-driven reverb, some bells and whistles, 10 pots, 4 switches, two indicator lights, etc.), and I'm finding just designing the layout and installing all the turrets a major pain, not to mention the aggravation I'm expecting when I start populating it and debugging the design.

I'd thought TB would give me easier access for debugging, but... I dunno. Am I missing a key insight?

Old 25th February 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Well, for prototyping, I wouldn't be doing a lay-out.

I'd simply: Put a bunch of turrets in rows. Bus a few of them for grounds, power rails, and such. And, then, solder the components I needed into place.

Obviously the pots and switches will need a solid mount and some turrets nearby....

Tag boards might be easier for this kind of work.

-tINY

📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…