Quantcast
I tried to clean my keys and I've ruined black ones .. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I tried to clean my keys and I've ruined black ones ..
Old 9th January 2019
I tried to clean my keys and I've ruined black ones ..

... as per title.
Hi,
I think this will be my first post on this forum.
I have Korg Krome that I'm planning to put up for sale end in order for it I wanted to give it a proper clean.
I tried to remove some little white paint dots of black keys, but didn't managed to do this with isopropyl alcohol ... or maybe wasn't patient enough and I grabbed my wife's nail polish. Works well ... but also made my keys mat. They are not 'shiny' and glossy anymore.
I know - I screwed up well - i should try it first on corner of one of the keys, but now is to late.
If you'd wanted to restore 'shineness' of black keys what would you do ?
Repaint it with black gloss paint ? I know it may be silly question, but I need to ask - maybe someone has similar experience.
Cheers - Matt.
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Maniac

My experience with ruining the surface of plastic keys is that they will need to be replaced. Painting the damaged keys will only gum them up and make them unpleasant to the touch. I've even seen attempts at restoration with paint on the keys that came off on the player's fingers.

K26W Keys - Syntaur
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I would try using some Brasso metal polish on them.
It's designed to polish metal, but works well on plastic too.
I've used it in the past to remove light scratches from synth keys.
You may have to disassemble the keybed though, so that you can hold each key in your hand.
This makes it easier to polish them, rinse them, etc.
Old 10th January 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny T ➡️
I would try using some Brasso metal polish on them.
It's designed to polish metal, but works well on plastic too.
I've used it in the past to remove light scratches from synth keys.
You may have to disassemble the keybed though, so that you can hold each key in your hand.
This makes it easier to polish them, rinse them, etc.
Thanks,
I tried with T-Cut and actually it does the trick, however it looks like I'll have take this apart and do it properly. Also - good occasion to whiten other keys as they got bit yellow.
Cheers
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nail polish remover typically contains the strong solvent Acetone. Acetone dissolves many kinds of plastic.
It is always recommended to test any chemical on a small, inconspicuous area to see how it reacts.

There are several good videos on YouTube about reversing the yellowing or oxidizing in old plastic parts.
Old 14th January 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley ➡️
Nail polish remover typically contains the strong solvent Acetone. Acetone dissolves many kinds of plastic.
It is always recommended to test any chemical on a small, inconspicuous area to see how it reacts.

There are several good videos on YouTube about reversing the yellowing or oxidizing in old plastic parts.
Hi Richard,
I've learned about this hard way.
I had to dissembled whole keyboard to have proper access to black keys and trick with t-cut does the job, but also having all white keys separated I'll be able to white them up - just received 12% peroxide and waiting for UV bulb as sun light here in England is as rare as Korg updates to Krome system :-)
Cheers
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…