The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The GUTZ
Old 8th June 2020 | Show parent
I replaced the broken folded-line spring-reverb tank inside this ~50 year old Roland PA120 Mixer. Took some pics of it's gutz while in there.
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-pa120.jpg   The GUTZ-pa1202.jpg   The GUTZ-pa1200.jpg   The GUTZ-pa1204.jpg   The GUTZ-pa1203.jpg  

Old 16th June 2020
Gear Head

Well done FertDerBand!
Old 28th August 2020 | Show parent
rez
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hello!

Here is the inside view of my little GSSL bus compressor project with some modifications.

peace, rez

Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-top_view.jpg  
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Nice! I see two super sidechains, and maybe some extra power conditioning?

Have you seen Expat Audio's mods?

https://expataudio.myshopify.com/collections/all

Always been curious on the Cavendish mod... Not that every unit needs to sound like an API, but it might be an interesting change of tone. Haven't built an SSL clone myself yet, altough we have one in the studio.
I do however have a ready built Pico Stereo compressor from way back, that just miss a case to live in... looking forward to hearing it.
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
rez
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hello!

Yes, there are two of the supersidechain boards in there and a permanently active turbo board.
This build is based on rev. 12 boards for the gssl which have an improved power supply section with an additional cr filter stage already, but i decided to change it a little more.
At the input you can see a filter for emi right before the toroid transformer.
Normally this small board on the right is the crc filter board which was invented to better filter the power for the older rev gssl boards.
So i decided to just use that crc board with three caps in parallel to form one big first resevoir cap after the rectifier and replaced the resistors on that board with bridges.
On the main gssl board i used the place for the rectifier and put in resistors so i now have two cr stages before the linear regulators.
Admittedly i slightly oversized the power supply and some of the cabling but that should not be a bad thing, is it?
Unfortunately my order for the that 2181 vca got postponed until november so i could only test the units (yes i built two of them) with cheap replacement vca from coolaudio which are not working that good because of some changes in resistor values to fit the originally planned that 2181 vca.
My implementation of the supersidechain boards uses every sc filter frequency option including the TL and TM modes and an external key input (no need for sending the sc out of the units in my usage scenarios) and so i used a 12 pole 2 deck grayhill rotary switch to enable all eight positions.
As i wanted to build something that resembles the original ssl bus compressor with just some sc filter options i intentionally did not include more mods like relay controlled true bypass (i just used the relay bypass option on the supersidechain board) or transformer coupled in- and outputs.
So now i have to wait until that postponed that 2181 vca arrive to fully test these units unfortunately.

peace, rez

Last edited by rez; 1st October 2020 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: typo
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Very nice! Looks sturdy built.

Where do you get your grayhills from? I know AML has some, but I'm looking for a bunch of 12 pos 2pole shorting rotary, hopefully with 6mm diameter shaft, that I can't see listed on their site. I know CAPI had some, but they use imperial dimensions on the shaft diameter and I have some particular knobs I'd like to use. Also it's pretty expensive getting stuff from the states these days, with the high Dollar and lousy norwegian Krone, not to speak of the shipping costs.
rez
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hello!

That grayhill 12pos/2pole Switch also has a 1/4inch shaft, because grayhill does that particular switch only with 4mm shaft if you need metric size.
I just ordered some extra of that Elma knobs with 1/4inch for that rotary switches. All the other knobs are 6mm shafts.
At the moment I am not sure where I ordered these switches but it was not from aml.
Maybe from some place in Germany, but I have to check. There were simply too much different vendors from where I had to order all the things for these builds.

Peace, rez
rez
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hello!

Just found where i ordered that grayhill rotary switches - they were from digikey.de, Part.No. GH7103-ND, for 18,85 Euro plus tax, no shipping costs at all for an order of just around 65,- Euro alltogether.

Maybe check if they ship to Norway for free also.

Peace, rez
Old 25th October 2020
Gear Addict

Here’s a shot of the excellent TK BC1mk2 which I had open to put into unbalanced mode operation.
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-4678ee11-a1fb-4a94-bb14-a3d267bef832.jpg  
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
rez
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Nice one!

In an SOS article about this device i read that the mkII version has upgraded vca emulation circuits.

Do you know anything about the changes there opposing to the mkI version?
What vca ic are installed in your unit?

It looks as if the pcb also has the footprint and connectors for the old dbx modules in place - are there any modded units around that use dbx 202 or alike?

Can you show a closeup of the pcb or better of the vca sections?

peace, rez
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

The VCAs are THAT2181B

Here’s a pic, not the best alas.
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-00b8afd1-7dc1-4030-b2c0-f65576359810.jpg  
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-20200317_194343.jpg  
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is this a fader or eq? Have a PF7/8 and W86a, but never seen any like this - any chance you have pinout wiring? thanks!
Old 8th December 2020
Old 6th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Opened my DBX 166XL to see what is inside and why do it get so hot as it is a closed casing and it show inconsistency with holding the value , could be temperature related .

These 2 iron things where getting to hot to touch

Putting a fan on top sucking the heat out make it very cool , and value seem to be holding better.
Old 6th January 2021
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
@ soundebler

Those big metal things are probably heat sinks, probably attached to a couple of voltage regulators to provide an exact DC voltage or two.
Old 8th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx;152****3
@ soundebler

Those big metal things are probably heat sinks, probably attached to a couple of voltage regulators to provide an exact DC voltage or two.
Do not have much electronic knowledge

It look like heat sink and act like heat sink , but it seem to me that it can not cool enough inside closed casing . Probably operating within the specs so it would be no issue . But cooling it down without getting hot and other components also not getting hot this way could have a good effect on overall performance .But you hear things like gear that need to warm up first , so it could be more complicate as this .
Old 8th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundebler ➑️
Do not have much electronic knowledge

It look like heat sink and act like heat sink , but it seem to me that it can not cool enough inside closed casing . Probably operating within the specs so it would be no issue . But cooling it down without getting hot and other components also not getting hot this way could have a good effect on overall performance .But you hear things like gear that need to warm up first , so it could be more complicate as this .
I'm still learning too, it's a process, but it's kind of fun.

The main problem with heat there, I believe, would be the life of the components. If things get too hot, they can die prematurely, or even suddenly, if it's a lot of heat.

If it's not burning your hand to the touch it's probably fine. Some gear can get quite warm.
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➑️
I'm still learning too, it's a process, but it's kind of fun.

The main problem with heat there, I believe, would be the life of the components. If things get too hot, they can die prematurely, or even suddenly, if it's a lot of heat.

If it's not burning your hand to the touch it's probably fine. Some gear can get quite warm.
Thx , its cool now
Old 24th January 2021
Here for the gear
Neumann N80 B 48v Phantom Power Supply for FET 80 Series Microphones

Hi there,

Thought I'd add these tiny little gutz [got lots more gutz to show later!] as after looking around there was nothing online at all about these little units and no schematics etc, some mention in price lists from 1980 ish

I like the simple little bits of kit when made well, it had the tiny 'kinder egg' sized instructions inside as well, I'm scanning it in to make a proper TIFF file to get online, but for now some close pics of the schematic

It also has another set of posts and resistor spaces to hook up another channel too, must be the same as the double versions PCB
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-neumann-48v-box.jpg   The GUTZ-neumann-n80b-gutzzz.jpg   The GUTZ-neumann-n80-b-48v-psu-manual-2.jpg   The GUTZ-neumann-n80-b-48v-psu-manual-3.jpg   The GUTZ-neumann-n80-b-48v-psu-manual-1.jpg  

Old 12th February 2021
Gainlab Audio

Hi guys, here are some pictures of our Dictator var-u.
Old 24th February 2021
DGL
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Behringer VC340.
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-wp_20210224_15_15_11_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210224_15_15_42_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210224_15_24_28_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210224_15_24_37_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210224_15_24_45_pro.jpg  

Old 27th February 2021
DGL
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Another one, the GEM/Generalmusic S2. Took it apart to do some cleaning so thought I'd take some photos.
Image 1 is the main PCB, image 2 is the PSU.
Images 3-5 show the keybed without the polyphonic aftertouch, the top of the polyphonic aftertouch board and with the polyphonic aftertouch board fitted.
Image 6 is the I/O board, 7 shows the back of the FDD and wheels, 8 is the rear of the display, 9 is the display controller/interface? and 10 is the front of the display (made by Epson).
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-wp_20210227_17_45_39_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210227_17_45_46_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210227_17_46_18_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210227_17_46_39_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210227_17_47_25_pro.jpg  

The GUTZ-wp_20210227_17_58_29_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210227_17_58_33_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210227_17_58_38_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210227_17_58_45_pro.jpg   The GUTZ-wp_20210227_17_59_42_pro.jpg  

Last edited by DGL; 27th February 2021 at 10:54 PM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundebler ➑️
Opened my DBX 166XL to see what is inside and why do it get so hot as it is a closed casing and it show inconsistency with holding the value , could be temperature related .

These 2 iron things where getting to hot to touch.

Putting a fan on top sucking the heat out make it very cool , and value seem to be holding better.
Good to see a Linear PSU in this.

Check:

1. The Regulator Set resistors for the Regulators (whether they are blackened, their coating has burnt off). If so, replace with same value but higher Wattage.

2. The associated Regulators. You may need to change those. They do get warm or hot in normal operation, that's inherent to their way of working.

3. Flaky potentiometers may need cleaning

4. [EDIT:] I forgot: you may need to check the bridge rectifier as well as the main filter caps right after them too. If the gear is old, it's a good thing to replace those Electrolytics, same or higher value, same or higher V rating too.

Last edited by YashN; 1 week ago at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Added caps
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…