Quantcast
Mic Comparison & Demo - RODE NT1-A vs. AKG C214 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic Comparison & Demo - RODE NT1-A vs. AKG C214
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Mic Comparison & Demo - RODE NT1-A vs. AKG C214

Hi fellow gearsluts, nice to know you! (1st post)

As someone who operates a modest home studio on a budget, I very much appreciate microphone demo videos and use them often to help with my purchases. So.. here's my 1st attempt at making one - hope it helps future seekers. Would love to hear your opinions & answer any questions should they arise.

Enjoy!

Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Nice singing! Love the way the Hebrew sounds, too. These were two separate performances, which makes doing an accurate direct microphone comparison a bit more difficult since it introduces unknown variables.

Which one did you prefer? Also, just curious, what type of reverb are you using?

Keep it up,
Goobs
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thanks! it's an old 19th century chant, thought it would be cool

I used Waves' excellent Rverb, it's a long-time fav. of mine.

I recorded it separately so that I could maintain the same positioning & distances. I thought that having her sing it simultaneously into 2 mics wouldn't present the way it sounds when aiming for the diaphragm.

I'm still not sure which one I prefer.. the C214 tends to work better for me when it comes to recording female vocals, but I think getting the best match for the singer's voice could turn that around. Surprisingly, the NT1-A costs a little over half the price of the C214, so that might be an important consideration.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
The C214 sounds a little bit fuller (aka creamier, with a bit more 'glassiness') in the upper midrange upon a second listening. That said, this gets masked fairly well when mixed in with the backing track. Now I'm not sure if this is a result of the microphone itself, or that the C214 has a more obvious proximity effect. Are the two microphones on exactly the same axis?
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Pretty much the same axis, as much as the human eye can tell
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Nice singing.

The AKG 214 has some nasty sounding thing going on in the highs.
So here I like the Nt1a better - but usually I don't like Rรถde at all.
The AKG 414 (xls and XL II) sound completely different to the 214
and I recommend them instead.

Best of luck.
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
I have a 214, from experience I know the highs can get a bit strange at times but it does have some great low end body/natural-ness to it... "especially" great for a female artist

Sent from my LG-C729
Old 22nd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBA โžก๏ธ
Nice singing.

The AKG 214 has some nasty sounding thing going on in the highs.
So here I like the Nt1a better - but usually I don't like Rรถde at all.
The AKG 414 (xls and XL II) sound completely different to the 214
and I recommend them instead.

Best of luck.
I agree. The upper highs on the AKG 214 have a nasty piercing sound. I much prefer the Rode NT1-A in this case. Nice recording. Makes me want to go and watch Lord of the Rings again. LOL
Old 22nd February 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yeah, I've been leaning towards the NT1-A since this test, especially due to those nasty upper-highs on the C214.
On a similar note, I've been trying some off-axis recording with those two lately, and I'm very pleased with the results. Seems to be capturing more "tamable" highs, especially if you plan on using heavy compression later in the mix.
Old 10th March 2017
Here for the gear

How did you get such a clean raw sound with no eq, comp, outboard preamp, and just an m-audio interface? I have the akg c214 as well and my vocals sound completely overtaken by low midrange and bass.you must be recording in a large room
Old 12th March 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Hi Laurent, thanks! Glad you liked it. I think it has mostly to do with proper mic placement and gain staging in your DAW. No special gear used here..
๐Ÿ“ Reply