Quantcast
Studio One monitor shootout in L.A. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio One monitor shootout in L.A.
Old 26th January 2013
Studio One monitor shootout in L.A.

Los Angeles, The Village, Tuesday Feb 5th, 7-10pm

Drinks ... dancing girls ... hookah ... oh wait, not the last two.

Come hear this amazing little mix tool, Studio One by Spiral Groove vs. the in house monitors (ProAc, Genelec 1031, NS10) or bring your own
Old 1st February 2013
bump

This coming Tuesday ...
Old 5th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Is RSVP needed?
Old 6th February 2013
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well......?
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Comments from neutral parties would be greatly appreciated!
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceroo ➑️
Comments from neutral parties would be greatly appreciated!
Bump
Old 13th February 2013
Sold the LA pair to mixer Andrew Wuepper. He was thrilled to say the least. He was using the new PMCs twotwo somethings, NS10s and Auratones in a smaller room.
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Was I wrong in expecting a more detailed description of the shootout?
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To put it in perspective...I just sold my MM27's because of the Spiral Grooves. These speakers are insane.
Old 15th February 2013 | Show parent
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc ➑️
To put it in perspective...I just sold my MM27's because of the Spiral Grooves. These speakers are insane.
That is interesting.
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'd still like to hear the details of the shootout - what other speakers were represented, peoples individual opinions on differences, maybe some clips, etc. It's easy to say "I sold a pair", but that won't make me open my wallet quite yet.
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
So...did anyone film? Or do a refference of any sort? What were the findings of this shoot out?

This is the second time I've seen a thread about the studio ones on here and I live 10 minutes from where they make them in Berkeley. I even contacted them to see if I could come in and refference before making a purchase. Haven't heard back. I'm starting to feel sketpical why they never have open media reviews vs other speakers and why they wouldn't want to show the product before purchase.

If these are the best mixing monitors known to man and they are at such a budget price of 3 grand for the pair and amp, why not show them destroying other speakers in that range and allow people to refference before buying?

I recognize its another small Berkeley based audio company. Go East Bay boutique shops, we make the best gear, but......... If it isn't a hype scheme, show it off!!!

Sent from my EVO
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I believe the price is $3250 for the speakers, and $600 more for the cheaper amp.
Old 24th February 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Was I wrong in expecting a more detailed description of the shootout?
Details: The Boulder amp on hand was broken. They were 45 minutes late in getting things going with a Macintosh tube amp. The room was very small and weird. It became a social event. Even though I was disappointed people in the room could hear the dif between ProAc and Genelec and the Studio One.

I should have brought my own amp. For $200/hr what did I expect, more than interns and broken gear in one of the smallest rooms in the building called "Studio A"? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsan415 ➑️
So...did anyone film? Or do a refference of any sort? What were the findings of this shoot out?

This is the second time I've seen a thread about the studio ones on here and I live 10 minutes from where they make them in Berkeley. I even contacted them to see if I could come in and refference before making a purchase. Haven't heard back. I'm starting to feel sketpical why they never have open media reviews vs other speakers and why they wouldn't want to show the product before purchase.

If these are the best mixing monitors known to man and they are at such a budget price of 3 grand for the pair and amp, why not show them destroying other speakers in that range and allow people to refference before buying?

I recognize its another small Berkeley based audio company. Go East Bay boutique shops, we make the best gear, but......... If it isn't a hype scheme, show it off!!!

Sent from my EVO
"Did anyone film the shootout?" Are you kidding?

"Wouldn't want to show the product'? You mean a $10,000 booth at AES? No money for that. Just showed the product in a few studios in LA, and Tricky (Rhianna, Katy Perry, etc) mixer Andrew Wuepper just added them to his arsenal.

Can you please define "hype"? Because a company with 3 employees who does no advertising and has one global helper (me) who is too busy making records to pimp these online is not what I would call "hype". Maybe I'm missing something?

Oh, you mean the people who love the speakers and are telling others? That excitement is called "feedback", hype is what's all over the web where clueless people just bought the new toy pushed by name brands and ad dollars and in some cases sock puppets pimping online.

And dude, there is a 30 day return policy, so you can try them for yourself in your space ... try using the website before bitching about how things are run

Spiral Groove Studio One
Quote:
I'd still like to hear the details of the shootout - what other speakers were represented, peoples individual opinions on differences, maybe some clips, etc. It's easy to say "I sold a pair", but that won't make me open my wallet quite yet.
"Clips"? Seriously? For a listening party???

The other speakers were listed already. Please read the thread.

Hopefully it's clear, and I mean no disrespect ... I'm not here to convince you to buy. You will open your wallet and try them at your place, or not.

Most people on this forum spend way too much time talking and not enough time buying and trying and LISTENING and WORKING and testing the results. Not to say this is you, but that is what I expect anyone to do.

Do the work for yourself ... listening and A/B in your space is the #1 tool of ear training which leads to success ... web forums are a place to start the process of the sometimes tedious and hopefully always satisfying work you need to do on your own.

Back to work ... Counting Crows live CD on a deadline ... didn't get that job by talking on a web forum.
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Guys...

I'm all for reading on Internet forms to try and ballpark what some gear sounds like compared to other gear, but there comes a point when you can't explain how great something is until you just hear it for yourself in your space directly A/Bing it to other gear that you're familiar with.

These speakers are that piece of gear for me. I know the Barefoot MM27's really well in my room, and didn't think I needed another set
of monitors but I figured I'd give these speakers a shot as I respect and trust Brian's ears and they seemed like a cool start up company. Plus I had read someone else sold their MM27's after hearing these and I knew I had to check them out cause I *love* the Barefoots and thought it wasn't possible that a monitor as cheap as these could out shine the MM27's.

Best decision I ever made demoing them. Instantly it was like a blanket had been lifted off my monitoring chain and the depth and detail/3D imagery just made my jaw drop. It honestly made the MM27's sound bloated, boomy, veiled and flat/2D. Not exaggerating...

The dynamics/tone of these speakers is just insane. Judging compression/reverb/delay/EQ is so so obvious. And they translate like a dream.

Seriously just get them and you can thank me later. Just be prepared to never send them back because you won't.

PS-
The only catch is you still need a monitor that can playback loud and ballsy for tracking/clients. These can go loud...but not like the MM27's could. They also get a little too edgy and peircing when they're cranked cause they are just so detailed/revealing and dynamic. But since having got these, I had to sell the MM27's as everytime I switched back to them I was always disappointed. I'm going to VKLA next month to audition a bunch of "main" style monitors for this purpose, but make no mistake...these Spiral Groove monitors will never leave my studio and I will be spending 90% of my time on them. They're just incredible.
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Brian, don't get your panties in an uproar. We thought more people would show up with more speakers to evaluate, not just the ones listed. I guess we expected too much. I was also under the impression (from what I read) that this was a shootout, not a listening party. Most of the shootouts around here seem to have detailed results. That's what most of us were expecting. We probably wouldn't be here today arguing about it if we knew sooner about the issues.
Old 1st March 2013
I don't wear panties ... but my teeth like them

Seriously... I get it ... shootot/listening party was interchanged. But still ... video? Clips ?

Speaker sales on the web often are all about "new" and buzz. These are a timeless tool. No backing. No ads. No name brand. Timeless musicality is my thing, longshot or not.

Please let us know via the website if we can help you improve your game.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm ordering a set and would be happy to participate in a listening session.

I'm in Vegas at the moment but could time a trip to LA.
Back in NYC in april and could do the same.

Anyone down for organizing just PM me.
πŸ“ Reply