Quantcast
Reverb sound test: Relab LX480, EA R2, NI RC48, VVV - Trumpet in a hall - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb sound test: Relab LX480, EA R2, NI RC48, VVV - Trumpet in a hall
Old 25th January 2013
Reverb sound test: Relab LX480, EA R2, NI RC48, VVV - Trumpet in a hall

Ok, I prepared some simple comparison of new reverb plugins.

It's a trumpet (SampleModeling The Trumpet) in a hall. This trumpet was recorded in anechoic chamber so it's nice for comparing space effects. And competitors are:

- Relab LX 480
- Exponential Audio R2
- Valhalla Vintage Verb
- Native Instruments RC 48

Here are the links, enjoy and choose Your best. you can also download dry sample.

Lossless (WAV 24b) files:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71637038/REV...VERBS_TEST.zip

Reverbs settings:

size: 38m
time: 2,1s
xover: 480Hz
HiCut: 3300-3600 Hz
mix: 40%

THE RESULTS, THE RESULTS!

First: I want to thank You very much for your participation. I have learnt a lot from this thread

I'm especially glad to read posts of plugin developers here! It's great to see that You actually participate in community and provide a lot of knowledge for Your potential customers. Thank You!

OK, let's go to business.

Number #1 - new kid on the block, but a strong one

I love this reverb so much, it's my personal best and my future buy for sure. It's grainy but smooth, it blends with any source without problems, it sounds great in the mix. I recommend to everyone to grab a demo and play with it.

The level of control is incredible - a lot of parameters to play with but all they are clearly explained in the manual so it's not like running in the dark. It's a pity my trial will expire in a few days, but I think we will meet again Mr. Exponential Audio R2.

A word of explanation though. A lot of you picked it as the best. Some others noticed that it has modulation that can be misleading when it comes to just comparison. Have We all been fooled by "chorus effect"? Judge for Yourself. Below is a sample of R2 with the same settings without a chorus.

Well, chorused or not, I think that Michael Carnes did a really good job with this one

Number 2 - the legend strikes back

Is this reverb popular? Well, it's enough to look on "New Products" section and see how long is the thread about Relab LX480. It was a long wait since Lite version appeared but it was totally worth it. This plugin looks sexy, sounds great and had got a lot of attention lately. I really enjoy working with it and I think that I am not alone.

In this comparison it maybe seems a little "boring", as Warp69 noticed. But he added also:

"#2 and #3 both keep the original frequencies unaltered. Far more realistic reverberation and they would not have any problems with the piano test."

I encourage everyone to make this test, I certainly will (but will not start another thread about it, promise!). What I noticed that increasing size / time in LX480 smoothes the reverb - it becomes less and less grainy. Which IMO makes it more subtle than R2. At first I thought that this lack of grain is better when it comes to percussive, short samples, but I am not as convinced now. It's still great plugin for me and in many cases the results are just incredible! I would change one thing - the price... (snif).

Warp69 suggested that I could use the Hall from LX480 with chorus for better comparison. So I set the Chorus type to 7 and Rate and Depth to 40. TFT (Time) is set to 12dB.

Number 3 - nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

...and I guess that not many expected that NI will release this beauty!
This reverb sounds surprisingly good. Made by softube for Native Instruments. I like the look of GUI, but I would like to have more controls. I also find it counterintuitive to hide time of reverb under "MID" fader. It is still the best reverb from NI and it sounds great in many situations. I especially like it with electric piano.

In my test I used Random Hall algorithm.

Number #4! Would You bet 50$ on this black horse?

Valhalla Vintage Verb! (APPLAUSE). With it's cinematic tail and big sound. Truly, at the beginning I wasn't convinced to VVV but after I made those examples I found that I like the sound of it very much and it can easily compete with more expensive reverbs!

Nice work, Sean! As in the case of R2 - it's tail was chorused so I provide a sample of non-chorused version of the same reverb settings

"It's a chorus vs. no chorus test!"

Brian from IK Multimedia said that:

"It appears to me that most people are responding to programming instead of the actual qualities of the reverbs. 1 and 4 have more chorusing, so they sound "more expensive" than the others in many people's minds. #4 is significantly louder and longer than the others, which again are more psychoacoustic cues that translate to "better" to the listener. It looks like people are falling for well documented placebos"

I admit, - it was not proper lab test. But it was still fun and it wasn't my intention to make any reverb sound better or worse. I just wanted to hear the trumpet in a nice hall, that's all. And - yes, I could be more careful with settings. Well, guess I have learnt a thing or two this weekend Even more than two..

What I have learned from this thread (quotes that made me think)

1. Chorusing in reverb sounds "more expensive" in many people's minds
2. Although chorused reverbs would fail the piano test - they are far from realistic
3. RC48 doesn't chorus at all. It uses the "random" modulation of the 480L, which doesn't produce the chorusing effect that can be heard with delay interpolation
4. The random modulation sounds a lot different than delay modulation
5. Chorus effect on Relab LX480 can be achieved in HALL mode, it's not available in Random Hall mode.
6. In VVV only in the 1970s and 1980s modes linear interpolation is used in the "appropriate" places to get the desired lowpass filtering. In the NOW mode, the interpolation is much brighter, so no lowpass filtering is obtained.

To the End...

And to end this already too long post, two quotes:

Beatworld:

"All 4 do the job of providing impressive reverb when compared to the dry version. We are spoilt."

GMR:

" try it at home for yourself and tweak each reverb the way you want to see if it feels good in your mix or the way you want it to sound".

THE END
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No, you are the first one Casey.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like 1 and 4 equally. Thanks Doc.

-Casey

Last edited by Casey; 25th January 2013 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Such courtesy!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't like brand guessing in that case but I like 1 & 4 too
Thanks for the little test

Last edited by TobyToby; 26th January 2013 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: I wasn't very polite, I mean I was but not to the OP haha
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby ➑️
No, you are the first one Casey.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
2 and 3 are in a different (lower) league, definitely. The dry signal doesn't "blend", it's really just a tail pasted on the original sound. It doesn't create the effect of a trumpet well positioned in a hall (which is greatly needed when using Samplemodeling products as the OP mentions).

1 & 4 both create a sense of space illusion and good blending. I tend to like 1 more because it's less "chorusy" than 4, more transparent and therefore gives more the impression of a real recording space, whereas 4, though sounding extremely well, sounds more artificial because of the heavy random chorus.

No guesses, as I've only one of the plugins used.

But my clear favorite (for this particular use of creating a sense of real space for a trumpet sampled in anechoic chamber) is 1, by a long shot.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
2- Relab LX 480
3- Exponential Audio R2
4- Valhalla Vintage Verb
1- Native Instruments RC 48
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 r2
2 vee3
3 Rc 48
4 LX480

Btw I've never heard the RC48 so I guess my answer's are suspect!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
edit after re listening :

to me 1 is the most suited and i would say it's R2

agree with the settings to be too different but thanks for the test !
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
#1 is my favourite.

I'd say that 1st one is RC 48 and the second one is VeeThree. Haven't tried LX480 or R2.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Judging only by the reviews on GS:
1 LX 480
2 RC 48
3 VVV
4 EA R2

4 is my favourite with a close 1 as a second.
Old 26th January 2013
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
4 sounds "expensive".
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_After ➑️

It's a trumpet (SampleModeling The Trumpet) in a hall. This trumpet was recorded in anechoic chamber so it's nice for comparing space effects. And competitors are:

- Relab LX 480
- Exponential Audio R2
- Valhalla Vintage Verb

Here are the links, enjoy and choose Your best. you can also download dry sample.

Reverbs settings:

EDIT: I will post the results on Sunday evening
Thank you for taking the time to do this comparison, it's really appreciated !

One thing I would like to ask is if it is possible to also post the comparison files in an uncompressed format as soundcloud does compress things down to mp3 128kbps ("Sometimes our transcoding system can create audio artifacts, as we transcode all tracks to 128 kbps mp3 for streaming playback.") which is not an ideal bitrate/format for audio comparison specially when it comes to comparing ambience/reverb. Just my opinion and experience.

By the way from what I've heard I also seem to lean toward 1 and 4 being the more musical and that immerses the instrument better in the space, where as 2-3 seem to be almost separate from the instrument and seem to perhaps have a longer pre-delay.

Cheers !
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like #1 the best. Gives me the most natural sounding impression of a sound in a space.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
1 3 4 2
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
4 seems louder making it hard to judge when comparing to others
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the feeling that the settings are not really the same but anyway, thanks for the game.

I would say :

reverb1 : NI
reverb2 : R2
reverb3 : LX480
reverb4 : VVV

In this case, I prefer the 2nd.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I reckon sample 4 is the Relab LX 480.

I don't own any of these reverbs.

What I want to hear is the Relab LX 480 against the UAD Lexicon 224
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks. One was great. Can't wait for the results.
4 was a little too dramatic like a movie soundtrack
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus ➑️
I tend to like 1 more because it's less "chorusy" than 4, more transparent and therefore gives more the impression of a real recording space, whereas 4, though sounding extremely well, sounds more artificial because of the heavy random chorus.
Agreed. Might sound nice on an AG? But way too much here.

-Casey
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead ➑️
What I want to hear is the Relab LX 480 against the UAD Lexicon 224
Would not the NI24 be a better candidate vs the UAD?

-Casey
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
R2
rc48
lx480
vvv
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge ➑️
1 r2
2 vee3
3 Rc 48
4 LX480

Btw I've never heard the RC48 so I guess my answer's are suspect!
This is my current entry as well.
I've never heard RC48 or R2 so my answers are MORE suspect
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_After ➑️

- Relab LX 480
- Exponential Audio R2
- Valhalla Vintage Verb

Reverbs settings:

EDIT: I will post the results on Sunday evening
Would you tell us which configuration you're using in LX480 please ?

Edit: I'm wondering if you've used Stereo Split ?
if so, it would/may account for level of 4 being a little louder, assuming 4 is LX480
If not........
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
i like 1 & 4, wiith 1 edging out just a TAD. #3 won't play back now though, so I can't speculate on it,.......
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting thread.

Subscribed.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On this particular sound, I love #1, then 4, 3 next, 2 last. Though, levels and wet/dry seem different between them, so it's not easy.

My guess: 1 = R2, 2 = LX480, 3 = RC48, 4 = VeeThree

Great sound for the test, btw. A slightly unfair test, of course, as emulations of a vintage reverb should really be compared against the hardware it's emulating, but still a very interesting comparision.

I'll be very sad if the 80's reverbs indeed turn out to be my least favorite pairing with the 80's trumpet -- how tragic it'd be. I'd have to console with some Zantigos, Bartles & Jaymes and a Herb Alpert CD.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I liked 1 the best by a long shot, followed by 4, 3 and then 2 in last place.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like #1 the best and am guessing that it's the R2.
I've been trying to decide which one to get and not being able to demo them all side by side with the same source material has made it difficult to choose so thanks for this shootout.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What I found when testing V3 and LX480 myself was, that you CAN'T just copy the settings - ESPECIALLY the Dry/Wet. The level of the reverb tail is significally different. So you will get one sound with the reverb tail being much louder and the other with the tail more in the background and the source sounding up front. It's not at all easy to compare those two at least. Now we got four of them here in this test...

LX480 has been modeled according to an original unit and warp has pointed out, that the reverb time parameter of the original unit is not quite right, but differs from the numbers in the display - and the LX480 does the same. One more difference probably.

So yeah - it's a good idea to do some test files - but I'm rather sceptical if it will tell us which ones are better than the others.
πŸ“ Reply