Quantcast
Reverb sound test: Relab LX480, EA R2, NI RC48, VVV - Trumpet in a hall - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb sound test: Relab LX480, EA R2, NI RC48, VVV - Trumpet in a hall
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut ➑️
I do think that the LX480 and NI verbs got the short end of the stick in this particular "test". I'm not familiar with the NI verbs, but the LX480, having the exact reverb times being "inaccurate" (or extremely accurate to the original... depending on how you look at it), also requires, in general, more volume or reverb compared to the source, to subjectively "match" it to the R2 and VVV, as it's tone is very warm, with mid and low mid overtones, causing the perception of less effect to the original sound. It requires subjectively "more volume" and length to "hear" the same amoung of reverb effect. This resulted in it sounding as if the "test" sample had way less reverb effect to it, thus subjectively not adding as much "mojo" to the source as the others, when that's not necessarily the case at all. I perceived #3 as having a similar problem when I listened to them, and suspected one of the two was the LX480 because of it. Crank up the smooth sounding 'verb on the LX480, to subjectively match #1 and #4, and I dare say you would have much different results. Which leads me to...
Totally agree with that, that is why you can't based your purchase on these test, unless you are comparing the exact same thing eg a 1073 with a perfect clone and even then YMMV.....

What is great is we have demos to compare all these and try them on our songs. I personally love Relab and the NI are pretty great also, they really have a sweet beautiful sound. I'd love to just get them all . i remember buying my PCM 91 for quite a chunck of change, now i'm having a hard time to justify buying all these and all together still doesn't come to half the price I had paid for the real hardware, how times have changed !!!
Thank You very much for kind comments I'm glad that You like my writing. In fact I am a journalist, but in other branch right now (computer graphics). I also spent years writing for a local newspaper in my city. So maybe I don't suck in writing after all. I certainly made a lot of mistakes since english is not my native language as they say - there is always a room for improvement. It's also true when it comes to producing music :D

And I am doing it right now. Enjoying those great reverbs. And I think that there was never a better time for a person who mixes ITB. Cheers!
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
To Tim: I didn't have time yet to demo AE reverbs but now I will!

As about comparison M7 to other reverbs as far as "feel" goes. In hardware just TC6000, IMHO.

Software - nothing really. But I had wow moments with upcoming Nebula M7 emulation.
I use and love all Sean's stuff and I love LX480 which I think is an exceptional work.
I have all UAD reverbs, PCM bundle, several Nebula emulations, CRS, Altiverb, etc..

Now, will try NI and AE...
Lives for gear

Well I got 1 right!!! LOL
Best times for itb reverb.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for putting the time in to do this - it was a lot of fun listening to the clips and is showed just how good ITB reverbs are now.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This was a fun test. Sorry if I came across a bit harsh in my initial assessment of how it was conducted.

It was actually pretty cool how we as a community were able to figure out what was what. Strike another victory for the hivemind. And I think we learned a bit about the reverbs in question, and proper reverb usage in general. It was the conversation that the test struck up that was the most informative, I think.

The test (and subsequent discussion) illustrated a few key points that I try to make myself from time to time - different reverbs sound better for different purposes. All 4 of the reverbs in the test are competent reverbs capable of sounding very good -- and also different. A different source file and/or different settings would have yielded completely different reactions. So the lesson here is actually that you can never have too many reverbs. One that you dismiss out of hand after a quick test may end up being the perfect reverb for some other source material. Which brings me to the shameless CSR Reverb plug (now in 64-bits!) heh

Try it on snare, guitar, backing vox. Even if you've tried it before...
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
lol Brian ! 7

Yep the test was great , and one thing for sure , price is nothing but a number ....not a label of exclusive quality ....

All great reverbs , just pick one you like guyz and have fun !!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After all this, still loving the Rverb!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting test and also that so many prefer R2 and Valhalla VintageVerb.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Amazing thread!! Thanks for all who took part in it! I think we all learned something from it!

Thanks for putting up the uncompressed files as well ! :D

Have a great week !
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Chime in my two cents (albeit after the fact!!).

All verbs sounded good, including the 2CAudio ones added afterwards. I preferred #1 (which was the R2) with close second #2 (which was LX480). Liked #4 also but thought the setting were not as closely matched for this reverb level wise which kind of put it all by itself.

Was not listening for artifacts, just simply closed my eyes and tried to picture the room!

Of course, at this point and after literally hundreds of "shoot-outs," it should be common knowledge that what we are comparing here is these few particular audio files and NOT the reverb plugins themselves.

To the OP thanks for doing the shoot-out. Would be interesting to add more reverbs.
Old 17th March 2013
Deleted User
One more to add

Thank you for this shootout.
I just wanted to add Aether example with the same settings, and preset for Aether.

Edit:
Also B2 with used preset.
Attached Files

Aether.mp3 (1.75 MB, 2334 views)

File Type: zip B2 Large Hall.2ca.zip (1.1 KB, 48 views)

B2.mp3 (1.72 MB, 2239 views)

File Type: zip Large Hall TEST 2.1.2ca.zip (1.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 24th May 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Audio Files Gone ?

Why have the audio files in the first post of this thread disappeared and are replaced with a message saying they're temporarily unavailable? Are they permanently unavailable? If so, can they be uploaded again?

Thanks
Old 9th September 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
This is a superb test indeed, thank you so much OP!

Technically, the number 1 sounds very good and deep and the most expensive it also blended with the instrument, the 2nd one was very interesting as it pushed the sound forward and sounds expensive(I bet it would be superb on a vocal to push it forward). Number 3 was boring but you never know how it can sound in the context of a mix. Number 4 technically has a less dense sound, it has a big sound, and it has a sense of drama to it, some sort of carnavalesque energy and it blended with the instrument.

Emotion wise, number 1 was technically superb but didn't give any emotion, dead. Number 2 had a melancholic emotion. Number 3 had less of emotion than number 2 but still. Number 4 has more positive emotions, energy and a sense of drama, when compared to the others.
Old 9th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian @ IK ➑️
This was a fun test. Sorry if I came across a bit harsh in my initial assessment of how it was conducted.

It was actually pretty cool how we as a community were able to figure out what was what. Strike another victory for the hivemind. And I think we learned a bit about the reverbs in question, and proper reverb usage in general. It was the conversation that the test struck up that was the most informative, I think.

The test (and subsequent discussion) illustrated a few key points that I try to make myself from time to time - different reverbs sound better for different purposes. All 4 of the reverbs in the test are competent reverbs capable of sounding very good -- and also different. A different source file and/or different settings would have yielded completely different reactions. So the lesson here is actually that you can never have too many reverbs. One that you dismiss out of hand after a quick test may end up being the perfect reverb for some other source material. Which brings me to the shameless CSR Reverb plug (now in 64-bits!) heh

Try it on snare, guitar, backing vox. Even if you've tried it before...
I have been playing with the CSR and it's very good in its own way and it has its own sound and set of character. Thank you for pointing me towards these plugins.

And I agree CSR should have been in this test.
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like B2 the best followed by R2. No surprises there.
πŸ“ Reply