Quantcast
Reverb sound test: Relab LX480, EA R2, NI RC48, VVV - Trumpet in a hall - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb sound test: Relab LX480, EA R2, NI RC48, VVV - Trumpet in a hall
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I thought 4 sounded best.
I am guessing maybe its the Relab
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Which is f...... Which ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
resultZ. please!

i need to see if i'm eating ramen noodles for the next two weeks, again.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalcide ➑️
resultZ. please!
Yeah, let's hear it!
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Which one is the Logic Platinum reverb? All?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalcide ➑️
resultZ. please!

i need to see if i'm eating ramen noodles for the next two weeks, again.
Haha yes, same here! :-)
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hopefully, 1 and 4 are RC 48 and V3..that would be the best for my poor wallet!
TADAAAM!
The results are in post #1. Thank You for joining this thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_After ➑️
TADAAAM!
Thanks again !
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thank you so much for doing this shootout. Blind tests are always the most revealing. Many people often mention Valhalla verbs in "sound great, ESPECIALLY for the money" context, which isn't fair since they sound as good as other, pricier plugins. If they were $500, most people would praise them as they are praising LX480 and PCM.

That said, all of these reverbs sounds great and there isn't big difference in terms of quality. It's great to be able to choose from so much quality options nowadays.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Interesting, so the R2 was my favourite and my least favourite sounding was the LX480. Though I felt my second favourite the VintageVerb was not that far off the R2 though!. Hmmm, do I really need another Valhalla reverb after already owning Room, looks like I'm gonna demo it after all, damn you GAS!! :D
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
EPIC !!!
Old 27th January 2013
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Wow, this is surprising to me. I tried earlier offerings by Valhalla, but did not like them that much. I will definitely check out ValhallaVintageVerb.

I seem to like the "down-sampled 10 kHz bandwidth". Now there's a novel concept: Digital warmth!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
TADAAAM!
Thanks man. Kind of as I expected.....

I appreciate the shootout. Good job, and good writing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
R2 was easy to spot, demoded in like 15 /20 minutes though.. but first sample sounded close to phoenix caractere, 4 in the end i was also pretty sure it would be VVV cause to me it lack some depth., everyhting is kinda in front but not much behind if it make any sense.. didn t like 2 and 3 much..
for me 1 was clear winner here, but it s much more how it s tweaked than anyhting to do with the quality or these reverbs for me , in my own testing i have come to different conclusion , Ea verbs ended right on the top with the lx480
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks

Thanks to all for taking the time to listen and compare all of these 'verbs. I'd just like to say that I feel honored to be in the same group as these other fine developers.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➑️
R2 was easy to spot, demoded in like 15 /20 minutes though.. but first sample sounded close to phoenix caractere, 4 in the end i was also pretty sure it would be VVV cause to me it lack some depth., everyhting is kinda in front but not much behind if it make any sense.. didn t like 2 and 3 much..
for me 1 was clear winner here, but it s much more how it s tweaked than anyhting to do with the quality or these reverbs for me , in my own testing i have come to different conclusion , Ea verbs ended right on the top with the lx480
Yeah, plus the source sound in question plays a big part. Had it been a drum sample the results might have been completely the opposite. Judging purely on the merit of the files presented and nothing else, 1 was the clear winner for me, then 4, then 3 and then 2 last.

It's funny cause listening to the R2 drum samples on the official website they just dont do it for me at all, but the way the R2 sounds on that trumpet, for those settings in that recording, its gorgeous.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
time for R2 demo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun ➑️
Yeah, plus the source sound in question plays a big part. Had it been a drum sample the results might have been completely the opposite. Judging purely on the merit of the files presented and nothing else, 1 was the clear winner for me, then 4, then 3 and then 2 last.

It's funny cause listening to the R2 drum samples on the official website they just dont do it for me at all, but the way the R2 sounds on that trumpet, for those settings in that recording, its gorgeous.
yeah i m about to make a reverb purshase but i m totally lost now , i had time to test the verbs only on synths...i wish i could compare R2 and lx 480 once again , Ea demos period are really too short .
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Arksun right:( I didn't like AE reverb samples on the web-site much. Now after this test I should check R2 demo. It was great on #1.

I love my M7 but so glad we have so many great reverb plugins out. Thanks to all developers for sharing their opinions in very civilized way!
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
On the off chance that this would be lost on anyone, Exponential Audio's Phoenix can be gotten for $100 less than the R2, or bundled with it for $50 off for a total of $450 for both. I demoed both together and plan on purchasing both. The R2 is purposefully an evolution of the classic Lex sound and the Phoenix is a much more natural verb that blends effortlessly.

BTW, I'd be curious, temnov, if you do demo the R2 and Phoenix, what you think of them compared to the M7...
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes ➑️
Thanks to all for taking the time to listen and compare all of these 'verbs. I'd just like to say that I feel honored to be in the same group as these other fine developers.
What Michael said! heh I also really like the way the thread starter tied everything together in the 1st post summary.

Thermos talked about Michael and me, but it is worth mentioning a few of the other developers involved in this thread:
  • Warp69 is Martin Lind, who developed the LX480. Martin also developed the CSR reverb for IK Multimedia and the X-Verb for SSL.
  • Andrew Souter is the co-developer of the 2CAudio reverbs (Aether, Breeze, B2).
  • Casey is Casey Dowdell, co-developer of the Bricasti M7.

I'm not sure who the Softube guys are that worked on the RC48 and RC24. Anyone have any information on the individual developers?
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➑️
Wow, this is surprising to me. I tried earlier offerings by Valhalla, but did not like them that much. I will definitely check out ValhallaVintageVerb.

same here,Now there are many options Valhala is a no brainer for $50. I think we are in a great time for reverb. Gonna check R2 also. My guesses were totally wrong, althought i hadn't tried 2 of them Just goes to show, you must try them all by yourself and tweak them to your taste.

i been mixing songs with relab and Ni and i really enjoy the results i'm getting with those. can't afford to get all 3 though
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
TADAAAM!
Thanks dr after for this nice test. Very surprising results, now I MUST DEMO the Valhalla and Exponential! :-)
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➑️
What Michael said! heh I also really like the way the thread starter tied everything together in the 1st post summary.

Thermos talked about Michael and me, but it is worth mentioning a few of the other developers involved in this thread:
  • Warp69 is Martin Lind, who developed the LX480. Martin also developed the CSR reverb for IK Multimedia and the X-Verb for SSL.
  • Andrew Souter is the co-developer of the 2CAudio reverbs (Aether, Breeze, B2).
  • Casey is Casey Dowdell, co-developer of the Bricasti M7.

I'm not sure who the Softube guys are that worked on the RC48 and RC24. Anyone have any information on the individual developers?
The one that had the most my attention is a certain Sean ..... do you know him well ?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
TADAAAM!
Thanks for taking the time.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I do think that the LX480 and NI verbs got the short end of the stick in this particular "test". I'm not familiar with the NI verbs, but the LX480, having the exact reverb times being "inaccurate" (or extremely accurate to the original... depending on how you look at it), also requires, in general, more volume or reverb compared to the source, to subjectively "match" it to the R2 and VVV, as it's tone is very warm, with mid and low mid overtones, causing the perception of less effect to the original sound. It requires subjectively "more volume" and length to "hear" the same amoung of reverb effect. This resulted in it sounding as if the "test" sample had way less reverb effect to it, thus subjectively not adding as much "mojo" to the source as the others, when that's not necessarily the case at all. I perceived #3 as having a similar problem when I listened to them, and suspected one of the two was the LX480 because of it. Crank up the smooth sounding 'verb on the LX480, to subjectively match #1 and #4, and I dare say you would have much different results. Which leads me to...

I really thought #1 and #4 sounded similar... in that they both had a midrange, upper mid, high end "ring" to 'em... almost metallic sounding, which I did not care for. But it did tend to make the reverb "effect" more pronounced.

So I would have to agree... this was just a maybe "fun" excercise... (possibly in futility), but did not really reveal many "truths" about the actual reverbs being "tested". They were each basically turned on and set to the "same numbers" visually.

Now... take a particular sound, and try to make each sound as subjectively "good" as you can make it for a particular situation using each reverb... solo or not (anything else or not)... and you might have a much clearer picture of what you want out of a particular reverb.

Better yet... try that for yourself, and you'll end up with a reverb that tweaks all the right buttons for your particular need.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks 4 taking the time Dr.!

Enjoyed it immensely!

Excellent writing!!!
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for taking the time to do this-Sean should be thanking you as we'll-to my ears at least. I thought #4 had the most musical approach and 'framing'. I use that term as V3 seems to have a distinct depth compared to any other software verbs I own (and there are a few). They all have their place, of course. Its just a sound that is pleasing and inspiring to me. Interestingly enough, Sean also picked his own verb out of the lineup. Dark Horse, indeed
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan ➑️
I like #1 the best and am guessing that it's the R2.
I was only auditioning on cheap iPod earphones so do I get a special GS Golden Ears badge or something now? :
πŸ“ Reply