Quantcast
WOW! Awesome mic shootout video comparing 12 popular vocal mics - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WOW! Awesome mic shootout video comparing 12 popular vocal mics
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
WOW! Awesome mic shootout video comparing 12 popular vocal mics

Check out a new microphone shootout video from the Blue Room Music Studio in Washington D.C.

12 mic's were compared with the same male vocalist. Mic's include:

Rode K2
Rode NTK
Manley Reference Cardioid
Audio Technica 4033
Audio Technica 4050
Shure SM57
Shure Beta 58
Shure SM7B
Blue Bluebird
Neumann TLM 102
AKG C414 XLS
OktavaMod MJE K47H

All mic's were recorded at 96khz, 24bit using a Lipinski L-409 preamp.

Enjoy!

Microphone Shootout in the Blue Room Music Studio! - YouTube

Conrad Osipowicz
Engineer
Blue Room Music Studio
Blue Room Productions - a music recording, mixing, and mastering studio serving Washington D.C., Maryland and Virginia
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Nicely done, thanks for posting the link to the video.

Seeing and hearing this many different mic's on the same performer really drove home one important thing, the mic does not "make" the artist. Although I'm not a fan of the demo singers vocal style he sounded like himself on all the microphones, one or another may have been more flattering if listened to closely in a controlled situation but his style came through well with all of the mics.

Thanks again and good music to all.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
and it never hurts to remember this:
3D Audio's 3D Mic CD
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yes, although his vocal style is not my taste, he is a good singer and he does sound good in most of those takes.

I did have a preference for the Manley, which sounded more open and natural, with the Rode K2 being my second choice, but I would have taken many of those takes and been happy.

Great stuff and thanks for the video
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I agree with you… The Manley has a ton of brightness and top-end shimmer… Sounds like a steep shelf around 10 or 12 K. The road NTK I preferred over the K2, but the Neumann still takes the bait for me.

Conrad
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think any of the mics hit the mark. I actually think the blue bluebird was the best in tone to matching his voice/style but something just sounded broken/phasey with it. I bet one of blue's higher end mics or a brauner would have taken the cake. I wanted to like manley but it sounded a little too flacid.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Why is this is high end forum ? sorry but Rode Mics are not high end they suck!
they are the Behringer of Mics!
the only mic on that list I would even close high end is the ref C.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel ➡️
...something just sounded broken/phasey with it.
Could it be what looks like to be the reflective surface all the mics are pointing at?

Sent from my LG-VS700
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore ➡️
I thought Behringer mics were the Behringer of mics?!?
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I've done my own shootout with 4 of those mics - 58, SM7, TLM and K2. I find it interesting that in my tests, the 58 and SM7 sound similar on my voice, but in this, the SM7 sounds TERRIBLE, but I don't think the 58/57 actually sounds too bad! The SM7 has it's characteristic strong punchy mids, but just blegh on him and his style. The TLM and K2 sounded like I expected. The tube sound in the K2 is so distinctive.

Singing technique and consistency was a little so so, but you get the general character of the mic coming through still.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The SM7 is definitely the worst mic on this singer in the shootout. It's that weird 1.2-2K bump that makes that mic work on guitar cabs/bass cabs/percussion.... I know a lot of people like it for heavy vocals, but I prefer other mics even for that....But on this type of vocal it clearly ****s the bed.

A lot of those mics worked great on his voice (great singer). Surprised to hear the Rode NTK sound that good.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLyonsMusic ➡️
I've done my own shootout with 4 of those mics - 58, SM7, TLM and K2. I find it interesting that in my tests, the 58 and SM7 sound similar on my voice, but in this, the SM7 sounds TERRIBLE, but I don't think the 58/57 actually sounds too bad! The SM7 has it's characteristic strong punchy mids, but just blegh on him and his style. The TLM and K2 sounded like I expected. The tube sound in the K2 is so distinctive.

Singing technique and consistency was a little so so, but you get the general character of the mic coming through still.
+1

Especially re the 57/58. Lol, thought it was just me....
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➡️
I thought Behringer mics were the Behringer of mics?!?
lol!!!! Hahahaha
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore ➡️
People who can't make a Rode K2 work in a session SUCK!!!!!!!!
They are the Behringer of engineers!!!
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory ➡️
The SM7 is definitely the worst mic on this singer in the shootout. It's that weird 1.2-2K bump that makes that mic work on guitar cabs/bass cabs/percussion.... I know a lot of people like it for heavy vocals, but I prefer other mics even for that....But on this type of vocal it clearly ****s the bed.

A lot of those mics worked great on his voice (great singer). Surprised to hear the Rode NTK sound that good.
That's just not the way you use a SM7. The SM7 has a super small sweet spot. You have to put your lips right on it, and sing directly into it. This guy was farther away and the mic was pointing to his nose. The foam is also a no no with this mic.
Old 30th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
that Manley mic is pretty great
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I didn't enjoy the test as a reference for popular music, the singer was too loud and too far away in a very reverberant space (plus the plexiglass was facing the mic?!) 2-6 inches in an absorbent space pls.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Agree. The dude is like 2 feet from the SM7b with the foam on. Not fair at all. You don't sing into this mic like a condenser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradahman ➡️
That's just not the way you use a SM7. The SM7 has a super small sweet spot. You have to put your lips right on it, and sing directly into it. This guy was farther away and the mic was pointing to his nose. The foam is also a no no with this mic.
📝 Reply