The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker
Old 29th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest ➡️
Your quote from my previous post is a reply, ...
where it seems that you are stating that there would be side-effects at 10 Hz that are dominating the results, which is untrue.
So to break it down for the rest of us..
Where do the good measurements then come from? A unit which measured -53.9 dBFS (L), -55.2 dBFS (R) before, now is at -72.3376 dBFS (L), -71.1208 dBFS (R). It must be either the DC coupling, the switched off DC filter, or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR ➡️
I hope this helps to illustrate why low frequency phase compensation should have been applied before subtraction to avoid the results being dominated by side-effects that are definitely completely inaudible
@ KSTR
Could you maybe provide a loopback file with DC filter on? So we could see how big the contribution of the DC coupling is?
By subtracting the "DC Filter on"- from the "DC Filter off"-file it should be clear if the side effects are really inaudible.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ99 ➡️
@ KSTR
Could you maybe provide a loopback file with DC filter on? So we could see how big the contribution of the DC coupling is?
By subtracting the "DC Filter on"- from the "DC Filter off"-file it should be clear if the side effects are really inaudible.
I'm not @ KSTR , but I did post the loopback with the software DC filter turned off in ADI2pro. The result was around -64dB RMS null, or a 10dB improvement over previous results with the same unit.

With the DC filter turned on, the result is exactly in-line with others previously posted, at -54dB, I can post that later. I don't have the hardware DC filter bypass, like @ KSTR , but apparently that improves the null by another 7dB based on what Klaus posted.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkane ➡️
I'm not @ KSTR , but I did post the loopback with the software DC filter turned off in ADI2pro. The result was around -64dB RMS null, or a 10dB improvement over previous results with the same unit.

With the DC filter turned on, the result is exactly in-line with others previously posted, at -54dB, I can post that later. I don't have the hardware DC filter bypass, like @ KSTR , but apparently that improves the null by another 7dB based on what Klaus posted.
Here's RME ADI-2 Pro FS loopback recording with software DC filter set to 'Auto' (DA/AD filter set to SHARP):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pztob...SHARP.wav/file

Comparing this with DC Filter set to NONE recording I posted earlier, here's the difference, computed in DeltaWave, right channel used for comparison (NOTE: this is the difference between two loopbacks, one with software DC filter, the other without):

First is the average spectrum for the whole file
Second is the difference in spectra between the two files
Third is the difference in spectra zoomed in around DC
Fourth is the spectrogram showing difference in spectra over time
Fifth is the spectrum of the null/difference file.
Attached Thumbnails
Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-att1.jpg   Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-att2.jpg   Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-att3.jpg   Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-att4.jpg   Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-att5.jpg  

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here's RME ADI-2 Pro FS loopback recording with software DC filter set to 'Auto' (DA/AD filter set to SHARP)
-536.917845 ms, 0.0845 dB (L), 0.0845 dB (R), -53.6517 dBFS (L), -54.8094 dBFS (R)

To be added to the next issue of the
Loopback tests requested by forum members: Eventide H9000R (for confirming the one at the top of the list of the results), Pacific Microsonics Model One and Model Two, Slate Digital VRS-8, SSL 2+, RME M-32 AD Pro --> M-32 DA Pro, RME M-1610 Pro, Audient iD14 MKII, Prism Dream DA-2 --> AD-2, BlackLion Audio Revolution 2×2, RME MADIface Pro, RME Fireface UCX II, Metric Halo mkIV, SSL BiG SiX, Prism Sound Dream ADA-128, anything from Qes Lab, JCF, Burl and Linn. Of course any other one welcome!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Here's RME ADI-2 Pro FS loopback recording with software DC filter set to 'Auto' (DA/AD filter set to SHARP):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pztob...SHARP.wav/file

Comparing this with DC Filter set to NONE recording I posted earlier, here's the difference, computed in DeltaWave, right channel used for comparison (NOTE: this is the difference between two loopbacks, one with software DC filter, the other without):

First is the average spectrum for the whole file
Second is the difference in spectra between the two files
Third is the difference in spectra zoomed in around DC
Fourth is the spectrogram showing difference in spectra over time
Fifth is the spectrum of the null/difference file.
Thank you!
So I loaded all 3 delta/difference files (RME with DC filter, RME without DC filter, DC coupled RME without DC filter) in my DAW and just listened to them. Despite of the relatively big volume differences, they all sound completely different, so the DC filter and DC coupling does not just affect low frequencies, but the entire spectrum. The fully DC coupled w/o DC filter clearly sounds the most phasey and "small" out of the three, which is a good sign.

So I wouldn't say, that it is inaudible and only affects the low frequencies but the entire spectrum. So Didiers method and the results are not "being dominated by side-effects that are definitely completely inaudible" as KSTR said. Or did I misinterpret here something?
Gear Head

Quote:
Thank you!
So I loaded all 3 delta/difference files (RME with DC filter, RME without DC filter, DC coupled RME without DC filter) in my DAW and just listened to them. Despite of the relatively big volume differences, they all sound completely different, so the DC filter and DC coupling does not just affect low frequencies, but the entire spectrum. The fully DC coupled w/o DC filter clearly sounds the most phasey and "small" out of the three, which is a good sign.

So I wouldn't say, that it is inaudible and only affects the low frequencies but the entire spectrum. So Didiers method and the results are not "being dominated by side-effects that are definitely completely inaudible" as KSTR said. Or did I misinterpret here something?
At least the two files I uploaded match up to the Original2.wav to better than 0.1dB, so there shouldn't be volume differences. The file that KSTR uploaded seems to also match to within 0.5dB, so again, not a huge difference, and that's over the entire frequency spectrum and the whole file.

As the plots I posted show, there is a difference between the two files at low frequencies. It is entirely due to the software DC filter, since that's the only thing I changed. And, as I believe KSTR was pointing out, the DC filter makes a measurable difference above DC, as well.

As far as this being audible due to these frequency differences, that's highly unlikely. The differences are small and human hearing isn't very sensitive at lower frequencies, especially below 20Hz.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you!

Something goes seriously wrong on your side, you can't hear <4Hz. Even more so, you monitors probably drop of at <40Hz or so with 12dB or more steepness
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As the plots I posted show, there is a difference between the two files at low frequencies.
Indeed there is, but instead of Delta of Spectra, Spectrum of Delta, the spectrum of the difference between your files RME-ADI2pro-FS-DC_AUTO-filter_SHARP.wav and RME-ADI2pro-FS-DC_NONE-filter_SHARP.wav after gain lag and time shift having been compensated for like in any loopback test in the list of the results, may be more informative (here attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-psd.jpg  

Last edited by didier.brest; 26th January 2022 at 07:25 AM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering ➡️
Something goes seriously wrong on your side, you can't hear <4Hz. Even more so, you monitors probably drop of at <40Hz or so with 12dB or more steepness
Nope, I compared the delta/difference files of each 3 (not the loopback files) and they sound clearly completely different in the entire range, not only volume-wise. Look at the delta plot posted by Didier above and then do the same for the other 2 delta files.
Old 5th January 2022
Lives for gear
Request for the Presonus Quantum 2626 results.
Old 14th January 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here are some loopbacks i did with my setup

Metric Halo LIO-8 3D mkIV loopback
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4cklk..._mkIV.wav/file

Metric Halo LIO-8 3D loopback
https://www.mediafire.com/file/hmos8...8_mk3.wav/file

Just for fun LIO-8 3D mkIV DA to Akai S3200XL Sampler AD and AES out from Akai to LIO-8 3D mkIV
https://www.mediafire.com/file/w9o9p...0XLAD.wav/file

Further loopbacks for fun, LIO-8 3D mkIV loopback with Akai AES clock master
https://www.mediafire.com/file/nfopq...aster.wav/file

LIO-8 3D loopback with Akai AES clock master
https://www.mediafire.com/file/m0xhl...aster.wav/file
Old 14th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn ➡️
Here are some loopbacks i did with my setup

Metric Halo LIO-8 3D mkIV loopback
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4cklk..._mkIV.wav/file

Metric Halo LIO-8 3D loopback
https://www.mediafire.com/file/hmos8...8_mk3.wav/file
Just loaded these up in DeltaWave vs the original, a few differences I see in the following results: mkIV file seems to extend the higher air frequencies retained just a bit and also shows frequency phase differences.
Attached Thumbnails
Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-mk3phase.jpg   Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-mk3spec.jpg   Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-mk4phase.jpg   Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-mk4spec.jpg  

Last edited by indrasnet; 14th January 2022 at 05:14 PM..
Old 14th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
1.705923 ms, 3.5316 dB (L), 3.5636 dB (R), -56.7534 dBFS (L), -58.1073 dBFS (R)

Quote:
2.089393 ms, 0.1792 dB (L), 0.1524 dB (R), -42.7112 dBFS (L), -43.9931 dBFS (R)

Quote:
LIO-8 3D mkIV loopback with Akai AES clock master
https://www.mediafire.com/file/nfopq...aster.wav/file
2.087633 ms, 0.1786 dB (L), 0.1519 dB (R), -42.7093 dBFS (L), -43.9913 dBFS (R)

Quote:
LIO-8 3D loopback with Akai AES clock master
https://www.mediafire.com/file/m0xhl...aster.wav/file
1.709113 ms, 3.5324 dB (L), 3.5648 dB (R), -56.7535FS dB (L), -58.1074 dBFS (R)

Quote:
LIO-8 3D mkIV DA to Akai S3200XL Sampler AD and AES out from Akai to LIO-8 3D mkIVhttps://www.mediafire.com/file/w9o9p...0XLAD.wav/file
Inverted polarity.
1.071805 ms, 0.2440 dB (L), 0.2041 dB (R), -44.9974 dBFS (L), -45.9370 dBFS (R)

Loopback tests requested by forum members: Eventide H9000R (for confirming the one at the top of the list of the results), Pacific Microsonics Model One and Model Two, Slate Digital VRS-8, SSL 2+, RME M-32 AD Pro --> M-32 DA Pro, RME M-1610 Pro, Audient iD14 MKII, Prism Dream DA-2 --> AD-2, BlackLion Audio Revolution 2×2, RME MADIface Pro, RME Fireface UCX II, SSL BiG SiX, Prism Sound Dream ADA-128, anything from Qes Lab, JCF, Burl and Linn, PreSonus Quantum 2626. Of course any other one welcome!
Old 15th January 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Would a patchbay do come into play on these results? I'm using mosses & mitchell patchbay and I used DA to AD connection via patchbay because breaking down my setup is too hassle.
Old 15th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Would a patchbay do come into play on these results?
Very unlikely. Your LIO-8 3D test are in line with the LIO-8 tests already in the

Last edited by didier.brest; 15th March 2022 at 10:12 PM..
Old 19th January 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hi

This is my loopback test for the RME Audio HDSPe AIO Pro (the new one, I think not in the list yet).
The test was made using the optional balanced XLR breakout cable going from Analog 1/2 Out to Analog 1/2 In and both output and input level set to + 19 dBu.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3tly7..._19dB.wav/file

First time I tried this, let me know if anything is wrong with the file.

thx!
Old 19th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDanger ➡️
This is my loopback test for the RME Audio HDSPe AIO Pro (...) let me know if anything is wrong with the file.
It is OK.
-1.000034122 s, 0.2231 dB (L), 0.3070 dB (R), -42.9480 dBFS (L), -44.0783 dBFS (R)

Last edited by didier.brest; 19th January 2022 at 09:56 PM..
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Motu 828 mk2, internal clock, (... using short cheap unbalanced cables, record and playback using Logic Pro)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/si1dy...8_mk2.wav/file

... more converters to come, first want to check that my methodology is about right.

If I was to use your methodology and settings in diffmaker to messure and evaluate, is there a description for how to do that? I tried to use audio diffmaker myself but ended up with totaly different numbers

---------------
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedude ➡️
Motu 828 mk2, internal clock, (...) I tried to use audio diffmaker myself but ended up with totally different numbers
-1.069047 ms, 5.9662 dB (L), 5.9797 dB (R), -56.7054 dBFS (L), -58.0362 dBFS (R)

I do not use Audio Diffmaker any longer since May 2020.

Last edited by didier.brest; 20th January 2022 at 09:43 PM..
Old 20th January 2022
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
ULN8 MKIV.

https://bit.ly/3tLaGYH
Old 20th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio ➡️
ULN8 MKIV.
2.495821 ms, 0.2185 dB (L), 0.3421 dB (R), -42.9755 dBFS (L), -44.2469 dBFS (R)

Last edited by didier.brest; 25th January 2022 at 01:56 PM..
Old 21st January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedude ➡️
Motu 828 mk2, internal clock, (... using short cheap unbalanced cables, record and playback using Logic Pro)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/si1dy...8_mk2.wav/file

... more converters to come, first want to check that my methodology is about right.

If I was to use your methodology and settings in diffmaker to messure and evaluate, is there a description for how to do that? I tried to use audio diffmaker myself but ended up with totaly different numbers

---------------
To get a good sense of what Didier's Matlab script will compute try DeltaWave.

For example, for the MOTU 828 mk2 file, DeltaWave reported:

-56.7dBFS (L), -58dBFS (R)

Didier's result: -56.7054 dBFS (L), -58.0362 dBFS (R)

The default settings to use for this are:

Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-dw-settings.png
Attached Images
Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker-dw-settings.png 
Old 25th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest ➡️
2.495821 ms, 0.2185 dB (L), 0.3421 dB (R), -42.9755 dBFS (L), -44.2469 dBFS (R)

Loopback tests requested by forum members: Eventide H9000R (for confirming the one at the top of the list of the results), Pacific Microsonics Model One and Model Two, Slate Digital VRS-8, SSL 2+, RME M-32 AD Pro --> M-32 DA Pro, RME M-1610 Pro, Audient iD14 MKII, Prism Dream DA-2 --> AD-2, BlackLion Audio Revolution 2×2, RME MADIface Pro, RME Fireface UCX II, SSL BiG SiX, Prism Sound Dream ADA-128, anything from Qes Lab, JCF, Burl and Linn, PreSonus Quantum 2626. Of course any other one welcome!
How can the new uln8 be so much worst?
Old 25th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPetz ➡️
How can the new uln8 be so much worst?
I guess that the claimed by Metric Halo for ULN-8 and LIO-8 mkIV is a part of the answer to your question: Nonlinear phase is a price to pay for minimal latency. DA-AD loopback performance decrease with respect to the original ULN-8 and LIO-8 (see the list of the results) might be caused by the AD low-pass antialiasing filter more than by the DC blocking filter for which Metric Halo claims special care important for the sound quality (unlike some contributors to this thread who want the impact of these filters being removed from the test measurement results):
Quote:

Last edited by didier.brest; 14th February 2022 at 05:25 AM..
Old 28th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi

This is my loopback test for the RME Audio HDSPe AIO Pro (the new one, I think not in the list yet).
The test was made using the optional balanced XLR breakout cable going from Analog 1/2 Out to Analog 1/2 In and both output and input level set to + 19 dBu.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3tly7..._19dB.wav/file

First time I tried this, let me know if anything is wrong with the file.

thx!
Try doing -5dbs. I seem to remember reading that is the calibration and higher dBu settings are to make your life easier but out of spec. As I understand it, this should perform a bit better, essentially being an ADI 2 Pro in card form.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz ➡️
Try doing -5dbs. I seem to remember reading that is the calibration and higher dBu settings are to make your life easier but out of spec. As I understand it, this should perform a bit better, essentially being an ADI 2 Pro in card form.
I have returned the card in the meantime actually (not because of this test, but due to some other requirements )

There was no -5 dB setting though. Re-reading the manual, I think +13 dBu would have corresponded to +4 dBu studio line level. And hence would have been the better choice probably.

I wonder if it would have made a big difference though. What separates the ADI 2 Pro is the ability to chose the filters, which you can't do on the AIO Pro.

If you look at the results here, the ADI 2 Pro with short delay sharp filter is roughly in the same ballpark as the AIO Pro, it's the non-SD filters which have better results.

So I assume the AIO Pro is always using minimal phase low latency filters.

FWIW, I'm considering getting the Steinberg AXR4U instead. This interface is also using AKM chips and you can chose between two filters. We have results here already for this one, but with unspecified filters.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I have returned the card in the meantime actually (not because of this test, but due to some other requirements )

There was no -5 dB setting though. Re-reading the manual, I think +13 dBu would have corresponded to +4 dBu studio line level. And hence would have been the better choice probably.

I wonder if it would have made a big difference though. What separates the ADI 2 Pro is the ability to chose the filters, which you can't do on the AIO Pro.

If you look at the results here, the ADI 2 Pro with short delay sharp filter is roughly in the same ballpark as the AIO Pro, it's the non-SD filters which have better results.

So I assume the AIO Pro is always using minimal phase low latency filters.

FWIW, I'm considering getting the Steinberg AXR4U instead. This interface is also using AKM chips and you can chose between two filters. We have results here already for this one, but with unspecified filters.
Where did you return that card? Trying to get one for the latency and they're all out of stock everywhere hehe. Plan on using a different ADC.

edit : Ahh shit see you're in Switzerland...
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz ➡️
Where did you return that card? Trying to get one for the latency and they're all out of stock everywhere hehe. Plan on using a different ADC.

edit : Ahh shit see you're in Switzerland...
Yup, I got it from a Swiss retailer, apparently the Swiss importer still has some stock, but that probably won't help you much...
Old 13th March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Merging Anubis Premium is here. First set of the result files produced when audio goes from the aux outs (TRS on the back) to the line ins (TRS on the front) with different DA filter settings.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/d1zy9...Sharp.wav/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o64zv...+Slow.wav/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/34xqw...izing.wav/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zliwh...kwall.wav/file

Second set is the one where main outs (XLR) are connected to the preamp ins (XLR, line mode)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7r74g...Sharp.wav/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l35jz...+Slow.wav/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/72uti...izing.wav/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/uo55m...kwall.wav/file

Not sure though about the "purity of the experiment" of the seconds set where the slight amplification (+5) was applied in the internal mixer (preamp section) since the signal was a bit quiet

Last edited by euggie2000; 13th March 2022 at 01:58 AM..
Old 15th March 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by euggie2000 ➡️
Merging Anubis Premium is here.
aux out to line in - Rolloff Sharp.wav
-1.193522 ms, 0.3077 dB (L), 0.3018 dB (R), -51.1595 dBFS (L), -52.0197 dBFS (R)

aux out to line in - Rolloff Slow.wav
-612.42 µs, 0.3087 dB (L), 0.3027 dB (R), -51.3918 dBFS (L), -52.2506 dBFS (R)

aux out to line in - Rolloff Apodizing.wav
-1.193521 ms, 0.2954 dB (L), 0.2879 dB (R), -51.1824 dBFS (L), -52.0425 dBFS (R)

aux out to line in - Rolloff Brickwall.wav
-1.192956 ms, -2.1951 dB (L), -2.1964 dB (R), -50.3539 dBFS (L), -49.7640 dBFS (R)
The level of this loopback copy exceeds by more than 2 dB the level of the original. Because the original peaks to 0 dBFS, there is clipping in the copy that may affect the difference level.

Preamp ins to main outs files to be measured on tomorrow.
📝 Reply