Quantcast
Studio Projects C1 mod - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Projects C1 mod
Old 1st October 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Studio Projects C1 mod

The Studio Projects C1 is a very popular and inexpensive microphone. It has the Schoeps style circuit that is known for clarity and being somewhat thin and bright in nature.

The capsule is a K67 style capsule that can also e very bright in a flat Schoeps style circuit. The 797 Audio capsule is a wonderful capsule and sounds very nice in the proper circuit.

The build of the Studio Projects C1 mic is good. They use Wima film capacitors and some unknown box film capacitors in the DC to DC converter and the coupling capacitor to the Fet.

The Mod involves:
1). Replacing the box capacitors with better components.

2). The electrolytics are replaced with better components.

3). Some of the resistors are replaced with 1% Vishay/Dale resistors to balance the circuit properly.

4). Changing some of the values of the capacitors to extend bass response.

5). The circuit is "tuned" with a feedback network that is similar to the U87. The overall sound of he mic can be tuned easily from bright to darker and any step in between.

This mod can be implemented in any mic that has a Schoeps style circuit. Rode NT1/2 etc.

Check out the samples below:

Stock and modded C1



Attached Files

C1-1.mp3 (521.0 KB, 13876 views)

C1-2.mp3 (521.0 KB, 13186 views)

Old 1st October 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
pasarski's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The mod sounds very good. I wonder if it's the same capsule than in Behringer B1?
Old 1st October 2010 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasarski ➑️
The mod sounds very good. I wonder if it's the same capsule than in Behringer B1?
...it should be...open up the mic and look on the circuit board for any markings like "797Audio"...the original B1 and B2s were 797 manufactured (capsule has a white ceramic frame as opposed to brass)...

...modded version sounds excellent!...much better low end, balanced mids and smoother top-end...nicely done!...
Old 2nd October 2010 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Jim... Nice to see U here!

Is this the Mod that you performed on my C1?

I believe you also had replaced the capsule with an ADK "Hamburg"?

Sounds superb!


~Iz
Old 2nd October 2010 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzi ➑️
Jim... Nice to see U here!

Is this the Mod that you performed on my C1?

I believe you also had replaced the capsule with an ADK "Hamburg"?

Sounds superb!


~Iz
Hi Michael

This is the same mod that you have except the circuit is "tuned" for the stock capsule. This makes this mic "darker" than your mic.

If you want your mic tuned for your voice, let me know and I will tune the mic for you. (no charge)





Old 2nd October 2010 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Many thanks for the kind offer Jim!

I'm perfectly content with the way you set up my C1!

The Mod works really well with the Hamburg capsule you put in!

And works very well with my voice!

I wish you all the best!

~Iz
Old 2nd October 2010 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Mark D.'s Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Nice work on that mod. It reduced that high mid bump (2-4 khz) without
taking away the air above 10 khz. The low end is better, but not boomy.
Old 2nd October 2010 | Show parent
  #8
Here for the gear
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thumbs up amazing!

Hey there....I'm amazed by this mod....it sounds superb....I wonder how much it costs to mod a C1 the way you did it......do you take orders from Germany as well?
thumbsup
Old 3rd October 2010 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
superb fix.heh
Old 13th October 2010 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Which version of the C1 did you modify?

I used to have a first generation C1 and I gotta admit, I kinda liked that mic! I sold it because although I liked the high end, it was just a bit to thin on the low end to be just right for my voice.

My dream C1 would be somewhere in between these two sound clips I think! What do I gotta do?
Old 13th October 2010 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo ➑️
Which version of the C1 did you modify?

I used to have a first generation C1 and I gotta admit, I kinda liked that mic! I sold it because although I liked the high end, it was just a bit to thin on the low end to be just right for my voice.

My dream C1 would be somewhere in between these two sound clips I think! What do I gotta do?

The nice thing about this mod is that the mic can be easily tuned in between these samples. When I developed the mod that is exactly what I did.

The 797 capsules are very good and work well in "tuned" circuits.

I listened to the C1 and the V67g mod and they sounded similar. The filtering that I use is based on the Neumann NFB.



Old 13th October 2010 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE ➑️
Hey there....I'm amazed by this mod....it sounds superb....I wonder how much it costs to mod a C1 the way you did it......do you take orders from Germany as well?
thumbsup
The Mod for this mic is $150.00.

Yes I do take international orders.


Old 24th October 2010 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
sotorious's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
how would you tune a mic to someones voice, would they send you a sample and you just eq it.
Old 25th October 2010 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotorious ➑️
how would you tune a mic to someones voice, would they send you a sample and you just eq it.
The mic can easily tuned between the stock sound and modded mic. When the mic is ordered we discusss how it will be tuned.



Old 27th October 2010 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
C1 vs u87

I recorded some clips with the Studio Projects C1 and a U87. The clips are of guitar and spoken voice.

The guitar was recorded @ 12" and the voice @8."


Let me know what you think


Attached Files

C1vsU87-1.mp3 (404.9 KB, 8711 views)

C1vsU87-2.mp3 (404.9 KB, 8342 views)

C1vsU87-1vox.mp3 (404.9 KB, 8331 views)

C1vsU87-2vox.mp3 (404.9 KB, 8163 views)

Old 28th October 2010 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
1 sounds more extended and 2 more mid focused. For guitar I preferred the mid push out of number 2m whereas the speech came thru better on clip 1. In solo... Might be a different story in a mix...
Old 28th October 2010 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
illacov's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Talking

Man to be honest both clips sound awesome, however I have my preference.

And I can't wait to hear from the rest of our C1 mod customers!

Yo Izzi! Where ya bro'???

Peace
Illumination
Old 28th October 2010 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
This kind of tuning can also be done to mics like the Behringer B1 and B2 pro, with smilar results. Also it can be done to the SDC mics MXL 991,603,604, LDC MXL 990, 992,993,770. Any mic that has a Shoeps style circuit will benefit.


The great thing about the mod is you don't need a capsule change ($$$$)to get a
great, warm vintage tone




Old 28th October 2010 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Marik's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat ➑️
Also it can be done to the ...
LDC MXL 990, 992,993,770. Any mic that has a Shoeps style circuit will benefit.
May I suggest, except of 992 those are actually SDC microphones.

Best, M
Old 28th October 2010 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik ➑️
May I suggest, except of 992 those are actually SDC microphones.

Best, M
You are correct I was thinking Schoeps circuits and largeer bodies.

Thanks




Old 28th October 2010 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
illacov's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat ➑️
This kind of tuning can also be done to mics like the Behringer B1 and B2 pro, with smilar results. Also it can be done to the SDC mics MXL 991,603,604, LDC MXL 990, 992,993,770. Any mic that has a Shoeps style circuit will benefit.


The great thing about the mod is you don't need a capsule change ($$$$)to get a
great, warm vintage tone




Exactly...

Turns out that C1 capsule is kicking all types of butt eh?

Peace
Illumination
Old 29th October 2010 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
heh


How about a grill change?





Attached Thumbnails
Studio Projects C1 mod-pa290916.jpg  
Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat ➑️
The great thing about the mod is you don't need a capsule change ($$$$)to get a
great, warm vintage tone
...as long as you don't mind excessive phase shift as result:

Excerpt
"Klaus Heyne - Master of Microphone Modification"
by
Bruce Borgerson
Mix Magazine

"I never liked some of the phase shift you get with these (K67) capsules. For example, you speak into the front of the microphone, the sound hits the front diaphragm, but because it is a cardioid and it goes by addition and subtraction, you get it by rear entry as well, but the rear entry is time delayed. But there are ways to minimize this.

Neumann made a beautiful capsule, with almost zero time delay, the M49 capsule and the U47 capsule. It was incredible...it had this wonderful relaxed, open, intimate thing that draws you in emotionally because it didn’t have phase shift. However, the 87 and 67 capsules have more sizzle, are more rock and roll, but they have more phase shift and are tiring over time..."
Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
illacov's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
...as long as you don't mind excessive phase shift as result:

Excerpt
"Klaus Heyne - Master of Microphone Modification"
by
Bruce Borgerson
Mix Magazine

"I never liked some of the phase shift you get with these (K67) capsules. For example, you speak into the front of the microphone, the sound hits the front diaphragm, but because it is a cardioid and it goes by addition and subtraction, you get it by rear entry as well, but the rear entry is time delayed. But there are ways to minimize this.

Neumann made a beautiful capsule, with almost zero time delay, the M49 capsule and the U47 capsule. It was incredible...it had this wonderful relaxed, open, intimate thing that draws you in emotionally because it didn’t have phase shift. However, the 87 and 67 capsules have more sizzle, are more rock and roll, but they have more phase shift and are tiring over time..."



A K67 capsule is not going to stop ANYONE who is a REAL RECORDING ENGINEER from making a great recording.

All this drivel about capsule physics vs the art of recording is a disservice to professional engineers seeking appropriate tools for the job.

As a matter of fact, the majority of your recent shootouts have pitted the venerable U87 (used on numerous hit records despite the "tiring, phasey sound,") - the one you own I believe - against your mods.

Peace
Illumination
Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat ➑️
The great thing about the mod is you don't need a capsule change ($$$$)to get a great, warm vintage tone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
...as long as you don't mind excessive phase shift as result
...hmmm...do I detect the sweet smell of "shootout" in the air?...
Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Marik's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
...as long as you don't mind excessive phase shift as result:
Sounds nice to less educated crowd, I however, yet to see any meaningful test results or explanation (which I was asking for years), without which it is a propaganda to sell a product and just a hearsay.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
Excerpt
"Klaus Heyne - Master of Microphone Modification"
by
Bruce Borgerson
Mix Magazine

"I never liked some of the phase shift you get with these (K67) capsules. For example, you speak into the front of the microphone, the sound hits the front diaphragm, but because it is a cardioid and it goes by addition and subtraction, you get it by rear entry as well, but the rear entry is time delayed. But there are ways to minimize this.

Neumann made a beautiful capsule, with almost zero time delay, the M49 capsule and the U47 capsule. It was incredible...it had this wonderful relaxed, open, intimate thing that draws you in emotionally because it didn’t have phase shift. However, the 87 and 67 capsules have more sizzle, are more rock and roll, but they have more phase shift and are tiring over time..."
I asked Klaus a few times about that 'phase shift' business and how would he know if this is a 'phase shift' and not something else. I never got any more or less satisfactory answer. What you posted is only opinion, which is not supported by any physics law, because if there was "almost zero time delay", there would not have been a pressure gradient principle of operation.

Ever saw original brass ring CK12 5 chamber construction?--nice and very long path time delay. Nevertheless, sounds pretty darn good (at least to my ears). So, it has nothing to do with time delay, but rather with linearity of the response (which BTW, ensures a good phase response).

And if we are going there, ever wondered what is the phase shift of a transformer? You will be quite surprised!

Ever wondered what happens with the signal phase before even reaching the microphone diaphragm? It is a complete frequency dependent mish-mash.

In reality, the phase shift becomes a problem and has meaning only when two signals get combined together, but as I indicated above, the signal goes through much more complex transformations.

Do you want to make an experiment--I will take a recording and then somewhere in the middle flip the phase... say 180 (!!!) degree. Will you be able to detect and say exactly the spot it happened? End of the story!

Otherwise, all those talks about 'phase shift' are just speculations and marketing tricks...

Best, M
Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
When does the 'nerdity' get in the way of making mics that just ****ing sound good when making music with them? I think we may be reaching that point....
Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➑️
...hmmm...do I detect the sweet smell of "shootout" in the air?...
Hey Kid

That is a great idea.

Michael is only here because the new C1 mod sounds very good and he is trying to discredit the results.

While the K67 style capsule has more "fizz" and "Rock and Roll" than the K47, Neumann engineers actually tuned the U87 and U67 circuit to work with the capsule.This can actually be usefull for many applications.


The reason why Michael uses the U87 as a "base line" for comparing his mods.
The U87 sounds good!

The Studio Projects/ 797 Audio capsules are very good and as you have heard, with proper tuning can yield great results.

I have used ADK Hamburg to further smooth out the response and slightly change the tone in this mic. That being said it is not required to make this mic substantially better.

Changing to a K47 capsule variant and changing a single Silver Mica capsule coupling capacitor does not yield the dramatic results heard in this mod.


This is where Michael and I disagree. I feel that getting the best sound and tweaking the mic to be the best it can be is the best approach. Each mic is different. I do not feel that every mic should fit in to a preconceived mid-forward boilerplate. Microphones are tools that take an audio picture of a musical performance. When you take a picture with a camera you have many tools to change the landscape and texture of the photo. Shutter speed, exposure time, color or black and white give you a different look to the same picture. I would hate to have a fast "mid-forward" exposure speed when taking a picture at dusk.

About the shootout:

I think Michael should supply a modded C1 and I will submit a modded C1 and we will see where the mics fall.


Watduya say Mike?

You got game?

Watduya say Kid?

You up for it?

I am ready to ROCK!!!


Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo ➑️
When does the 'nerdity' get in the way of making mics that just ****ing sound good when making music with them? I think we may be reaching that point....

Where is my pocket protector?

Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Can we have a shootout that actually involves a REAL, MUSICAL situation with vocals that sound like they could be in an actual modern production of a good song?

I feel like all these mic shootouts involve guys talking in deep voices and and singing amazing grace like they are in a barbershop quartet....
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 60 views: 18291
Avatar for dibravibra
dibravibra 19th October 2020
replies: 141 views: 37603
Avatar for Deleted 222f60c
Deleted 222f60c 18th August 2020
replies: 1170 views: 260819
Avatar for t2299219
t2299219 2 weeks ago
replies: 6348 views: 800695
Avatar for MandoBastardo
MandoBastardo 11 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump