The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KM184 vs KM140
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like the KM184s in the same way I like the U87Ai - they're like their older cousins, but with the muffle removed. Love 'em!
Old 13th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The 140 sounds smoother and fuller to me. The 184 was a bit thinner.
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➑️
you may need to do a bit of gain balancing, as i think the 184 tracks are a bit hotter thanthe 140 tracks. i will try to include a photo.
The level difference is huge for such a critical listening test : about 1 dB on the left channel and 3 dB on the right channel. Once compensated, I hardly can say which one I prefer.
Old 28th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
just checked back in on this thread - thanks for the new comments.
these files have had 1631 listens now - very gratifying.
Old 2nd February 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➑️
thanks for the comments - i too have a hard time hearing any significant difference unless i listen on my main monitors, where i do (seem to) hear a bit more reach in the 140s, but the difference is quite subtle, and the 184s actually sound quite nice and musical. i find that both pairs work very well as main ORTF pairs, while the 140s seem to be just a tad smoother inthe top end when used as close spots on strings and winds.
also feel and hear that way thanks for posting jnorman - I think not so many people post because you said all here - for me its that way, thanks!
Old 9th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
pilvet - thanks for your input. and yes, many more listens than comments...
Old 10th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthepisces ➑️
The 140 sounds smoother and fuller to me. The 184 was a bit thinner.
+1. The 140 is a great mic.
Old 13th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I much prefer the KM140s. They sound much more natural on my Klein and Hummel 300s. The 184s sounded thinner with a hyped hi end to them.

Thanks for the comparison.
Old 22nd February 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi James,

I can hear very little difference between them on my DynAudios or DT880Pros.

Cheers,

JC
Old 7th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
schaap, rob, and JC - thanks for your input.
Old 17th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
i just got another email regarding the price differential on these two pairs of mics, and where i found the used km140s. as i mentioned above, i indicated i had paid about $1100-1200 for the used pair of km140s (atually, i bought them as a complete skm set in the wooden box for $1450, but sold the LC3 cables and the wood box, so i really got the mics for about $1000/pr) and i paid $900 for the used pair of km184s. i found the used pair of km140s at the yardsale forum over on the taperssection website - it is a great source for all kinds of remote recording equipment, ranging from entry level gear up to top end DPA, schoeps, neumann, sonosax, etc etc, and plenty of DIY and homebrew/boutique portable preamps, battery packs, mounting hardware - it is a great forum.

these clips have gotten over 1900 listens now, and opinions are still split pretty evenly between those who prefer the 140s, those who prefer the 184s and those who cant tell any significant difference between the two pairs
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Nice! I own a pair of 184s and they definitely more high end than the 140s...

I liked both recordings but with a slgiht preference for the 140s (which i do not own aaargh).

At a higher volume, the 184 is a just a tad bit harsh but at lower volume, you can appreciate the airiness of the flute.. i personally don't agree with whoever said it sounded thinner than the 140s... it sounds the same but with that added high end...

the 140 was very smooth at both volumes.

Actually the different is quite subtle and, to my ears, only noticeable at higher volumes...

without really paying too much attention, there's virtually no difference to me on the piano... it was all in the flute
Old 18th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
denis - thank you for your comments. i looked at your website - very nice!
Old 9th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
so, i tallied up the opinions from both this thread and the original thread posted in the remote forum:

after 2125 listens,

20 people prefered the KM140s
7 people prefered the KM184s
21 people could tell no difference

i think perhaps the most significant finding here is that there were many people who had a previously negative impression of the 184s, and now have changed their minds... i got a number of PMs and emails asking questions about the testing, etc, and many folks indicating that the test had convinced them to purchase 184s. i think neumann needs to give me a percentage
Old 14th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Once adjusted not much of a difference yet I prefer the 184s.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
bump for request by some TS friends
2780 listens now...
Old 15th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I realize that this is a fairly old threat at this point, but I wanted to thank you for making this shootout. I found it very helpful.

Personally, I find the mics to be virtually indistinguishable. I've heard more variance in mics of the SAME MODEL than I do between the mics sampled here.
Old 22nd April 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Zabolotniy ➑️
km 140 is really better
IIRC, they are the same mic in different sized bodies.
Old 29th October 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Not even close in my view. The KM140s are far superior in detail. You can EQ them to sound as bright as the 184s, but you can't get the detail or smoothness out of the 184s that you hear in the 140s. The 140s are also more natural and "real". KM140 series is still my favourite SDC, wish they still made them.
Old 3rd November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

Hello guy, I sell my pair.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...ighlight=km140
Old 29th November 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
And one KM 150

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear...ghlight=km+150
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just listened to these and I much preferred the KM 140's. They have a smoother, richer sound. More like my KM 84's. I think a pair of KM 140's are in my future. These really do sound great.

The km 184's sound hard and thin.
Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Neumann KM 140 clip from James Norman (same link like in James' opening post)

Neumann KM 184 clip from James Norman with left and right balancing gains applied:
Attached Files

02 184 -1.28 dB (L) -2.96 dB (R).wav (5.38 MB, 410 views)

Last edited by didier.brest; 8th December 2020 at 12:59 PM..
Old 26th March 2021
Here for the gear
A bit late to the show but here are my 2 cents.

I really like the depth the km140 give in comparison with the km184.

Used to have km184’s for Live Musik and always found it hard to keep them in the mix, in solo they work ok but wenn the rest of the band kicks in or it gets louder I always seem to correct them. The km140 seem to be a lot better in handling the dynamics of a band.
Also the off axis colouration seems to be better.

Sold all the km184ers and am very happy with the km140ers
And if the km140 are not the right mic than there are always the schoeps cmc54, DPA4011, dpa4006, Sony c535p and Sony c536p
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest ➑️

Neumann KM 140 clip from James Norman (same link like in James' opening post)

Neumann KM 184 clip from James Norman with left and right balancing gains applied:
Super late to the show, but I just heard Didier's gain matched files and I reckon the difference is quite big. The 140 sounds better in every way. Crearer, wider, airier and like a "mastered" version of the 84 file.The 140 sounds more expensive. And it is. πŸ˜€

Now I want to hear the 140 against the Schoeps, which should be a pretty fair battle that I suspect the Schoeps will win.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➑️
The 140 sounds better in every way. Crearer, wider, airier and like a "mastered" version of the 84 file.The 140 sounds more expensive.
Opening both tracks in my daw and listening to them while alternatively soloing each one, I don't hear any difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Opening both tracks in my daw and listening to them while alternatively soloing each one, I don't hear any difference.
Really? I have them running in ProTools and I am listening on Genelec 8341s. The openness/width is the first thing I noticed, then the better resolution from the 140. Sounds just better and more clear. The frequency response is very similar, so there is not much to note there, to my ears. I just listened in mono and the difference is even less there with the width taken out of the game. In mono, I hear a slight loss in level still with the 140s. I also hear a better separation between the flute and the piano in the 140s. Less muddy low mids in particular.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I owned a KM 140 and a KM 184 for a few years. Both sounded fine, until the 184 developed RFI problems at times. KM 140 never did. Perhaps because the 140 is heavy brass bodied and the 184 is thinner and lighter metal ? Anyways, I sold them both eventually and found a KM84.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios ➑️
The openness/width is the first thing I noticed, then the better resolution from the 140. Sounds just better and more clear. (...) I also hear a better separation between the flute and the piano in the 140s. Less muddy low mids in particular.
I don't hear like you. Here attached an alternate mix of the 140 and 184 tracks.

Edit: There are three transitions from a mic to the other one at about 8s, 16s and 24s.
Attached Files

140 184 alternate.mp3 (1.22 MB, 63 views)

Last edited by didier.brest; 3 days ago at 11:12 PM..
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't hear like you. Here attached an alternate mix of the 140 and 184 tracks.

Edit: There are three transitions from a mic to the other one at about 8s, 16s and 24s.
It is a lot harder to tell when it is not the same section of the audio, but I venture to say it starts out with the 184 and after 8 seconds shifts to the 140, I dont have the time to listen to all of it and try to tell each clip.
πŸ“ Reply