Quantcast
Keshia Angeline - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Keshia Angeline
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Keshia Angeline

Here's a new track from an female rnb singer that i'm currently producing named Keshia Angeline. I don't have much experience with mics or pre's but for anyone that does could you recommend a good mic and pre to use with her voice type. I'm thinking about getting a mic pre, I can't believe I went so long without one, I haven't really focused on vocal production until now(4 years in the game) So hopefully a mic pre could up the quality of my vocals.

----------------
equip used
----------------
Pro Tools 8 LE
Yamaha Motif ES Rack
APEX 460
Reason 4
Hypersonic 2
Omnisphere

Please let me know thoughts on production/mix.
Attached Files

Keshia Angeline - Only You.mp3 (5.55 MB, 16648 views)

Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check out my mix thread or works in progress forum is where people will probably recommend you put this. The vocals are actually my favorite part of the track (I think they are very good), the music sounds like a quantized reverb wash, unfortunately. The hook is not catchy imo. It could probably work in a more intimate arrangement, but the dense arrangement here just drowns it out when she's singing this register, and it's the same register she sings the verse in, so there's no contrast and it's boring. Also consider adding more layers of backing vocals in the chorus. Maybe re-recording this 4-8 bpm faster will make it better. Or a more intimate arrangement, w/ a real guitar, bass, kick with more knock (this one doesn't imo...I like the dubstep-esque pattern though), and more rhythmically sharp arrangement (too much half-measure - quarter measure harmonic/melodic progression in here, try dotted half/quarter/eight figurations); highlight her excellent vocals w/ a less dense arrangement, it will also give you more room for contrast if you so please. If you are going for RnB, try out more 7th and 9th chords, this feels like europop. After I say all that, it's not awful imo, just mediocre. Hope these suggestions help.

Make the title something that relates more to your question, you'll probably get more replies that way.
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm mainly curious to how you have Hypersonic 2, Reason 4, Omnisphere, and no pre amp?

Oh....

And why did you use so many of these sound sources?

Oh...

they have alot of the same sounds, as a producer to another, stick to one and maximize it ...you're overkilling your system i'd think.

Oh...

this reminds me of a free post..cuz u and i know damn well there is nothing wrong with this mix

Keep it up

oh...

did you use any pitch correction?
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthefuture ➡️
I'm mainly curious to how you have Hypersonic 2, Reason 4, Omnisphere, and no pre amp?

Oh....

And why did you use so many of these sound sources?

Oh...

they have alot of the same sounds, as a producer to another, stick to one and maximize it ...you're overkilling your system i'd think.

Oh...

this reminds me of a free post..cuz u and i know damn well there is nothing wrong with this mix

Keep it up

oh...

did you use any pitch correction?
I don't have a preamp because I never really had to record vocals that much, so i didn't feel the need to drop 3k into a decent one, i'm not one for cheap stuff so i just been going direct for the last few years. So many sound sources because each really serves their own purpose, I can take up to 3 hours just selecting the right sounds that I want. If one program or hardware I have doesnt have the EXACT sound(or at least close enough to edit minimally) I want then I move on to the next. For example I usually use hypersonic for its pads, reason strictly for drum sequencing, my motif rack for the analog sounds(strings,guitars) onmisphere for fx. Basically i'm using the best of each software.

There definitely are problems with the mix still but pointing them out at this point now is difficult for me because Ive listened to it way too many times that the mistakes start to sound natural.. I don't know if that happens for anyone else.

And yes there is a bit of autotune on the track in certain spots for pitch correction.
📝 Reply