Quantcast
DIY 1176 vs UAD 1176 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY 1176 vs UAD 1176
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
DIY 1176 vs UAD 1176

Before you say anything, yes I know it would make more sense to also add a "real" 1176, but I don't have one

About results:

I have just finished the making of the clone, calibrated it and gave it a go. I am actually really flattered that with similar settings its almost indistinguishable from the UAD1176 at same settings. Either I did a good job or UAD I don't know )

You be the judge!

Files are 24bit 44.1khz wav
Attached Files

Original.wav (648.9 KB, 3327 views)

DIY 1176.wav (648.1 KB, 3456 views)

UAD 1176.wav (647.8 KB, 3353 views)

Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emreyazgin ➑️
Before you say anything, yes I know it would make more sense to also add a "real" 1176, but I don't have one

About results:

I have just finished the making of the clone, calibrated it and gave it a go. I am actually really flattered that with similar settings its almost indistinguishable from the UAD1176 at same settings. Either I did a good job or UAD I don't know )

You be the judge!

Nice job. I like it! Well done. the UAD has a little more kick to it. But youve done a nice job.
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I also have Gyraf 1176 and have compared it to UAD 1176 ..... character is the same , but UAD 1176 respond better with sudden big transients .

Cheers
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by emreyazgin ➑️

About results:

You be the judge!

What transformers did you use??

I find that most people achieve success with the Cinemags over OEPs or Lundahls.

What I tend to do, which has staved my gearlust is run Stillwell Rocket VST (1176ish) out thru a D/A into a transformer coupled preamp and then back into the DAW. Gives me some nice color plus the action. The UAD doesn't do it for me.

You don't have an example with a full kit?? Lets see more!

Thanks
Peace
Illumination
Peace
Illumination
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Rocket does Rock It compared to any other compresser plugin I own.I have an SSL clone that is good and a 2-1176 clone with Lundahls.None of them can imitate my Thermionic Phoenix though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov ➑️

I find that most people achieve success with the Cinemags over OEPs or Lundahls.

What I tend to do, which has staved my gearlust is run Stillwell Rocket VST (1176ish) out thru a D/A into a transformer coupled preamp and then back into the DAW. Gives me some nice color plus the action. The UAD doesn't do it for me.

Thanks
Peace
Illumination
Peace
Illumination
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I think it sounds really good, but why is there so much more noise in the DIY recording (the UAD recording is noiseless as far as I can tell)

I think that the UAD sounds a little more "robust" - more solid in the low end - but the noise may be tricking me a bit too.

I'm enclosing a couple of analysis images you may find interesting

In the fft.jpg, the blue fft is the UAD - I thought you might want to see where they're exactly the same and where they're different.

In the sono.jpg the top songram is the DIY (you can see the noise as the light green in the top sonogram)

Anyway, nice work - how'd you do it?

chris
Attached Thumbnails
DIY 1176 vs UAD 1176-sono.jpg   DIY 1176 vs UAD 1176-fft.jpg  
Old 7th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Cool. How similar were the settings?

They sound a bit different to me. Aside from the DIY 1176 being noisy, it seems to provide a really cool 'bounce' while the UAD just seems a little....flat I suppose. Though I can't be entirely sure the extra noise in the DIY isn't fooling my ears.
Old 7th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just had someone help me conduct a double blind test. I copied the DIY's background noise over and duplicated it so that it would play underneath the UAD wav. Then renamed everything and had them simply click back and forth between the two while I had my eyes closed. I guessed incorrectly the first time, tried again, and guessed correctly. I could hear a slight difference between the two, but could no longer hear the 'bounce' vs. 'flatness' I heard before. So I suppose it was probably the absense of noise that made the UAD version sound flat to me. Interesting...

And well done, UAD! thumbsup
Old 7th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov ➑️

Thanks
Peace
Illumination
Peace
Illumination
I've used Lundahls, but only at output, I think that was how it is in the revision I did. I will do a full kit soon, and maybe in extreme settings, to see what you guys think
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Well, same compression but definetely UAD is more colorful. Although I can do very same color and character with some plugins...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I did the test "blind" and yes the UAD did have more "beef" about it
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
can you do a clip which works the comp a bit more? smash a room mic or something?

this demo sounds like uad is pumping a little harder with a slower release

but. the sound is very similar.

noise is higher on the DIY but its not bad
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
my DIY 1176 has really more balls.
i have a D revision with original input trafo reproduction, and a 5002 output trafo.
it doesn't really sound clean like this, at all.
it's more like a stomp box! just kiddin'

but i think there are too many revision around, and the gyraf pcb is usually used with improper trafos (sorry,but Lundhalls are too clean for a project like this)
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Regarding the noise, which revision did you build it based on - was it a LN?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yo emreyazgin.

Nice test. Some tips....

If you built the Mnats version there are a few tweaks you need to do to get it on spec with the original UA version ... to my knowledge these are not documented b/c I'm not sure anyone cares about the subtle differences. I've built 3 1176's ...so I know these boxes well.

1. The ATTACK time on the DIY version is faster than it should be. You can clearly hear it in this clip. The UAD version at the same setting has a slower attack, allowing a bit more transient through for the 'meatier' sound others are hearing. The way to fix this is to add a resistor to the attack pot or simply use a larger pot. I can't remember what I did off hand (can check when I'm at the studio if you want) but this made a world of difference...

2. If you're using the OEP transformer, they are underspec'd (seems you're not using them). Joe Malone brought this up at one point on GROUP DIY. If they're wired 1:2, you're going to saturate them prematurely... some might like this sound... I personally think it makes the low sound too blurry/dirty in not a nice way. I wired mine 2:1 and now they pass 20hz cleanly up to about -3dbfs and have a real nice bouncy low end to them. It made a big difference. Also the box no longer has insane gain on the output.

3. There's a 1.8k resistor (from memory) that affects the top end... it gives the box a very broad high shelf starting at about 16k and down 1.5db at 20khz. If you replace this resistor with a 1k the top end is flat (you'll have to do a search to find which resistor this is... should be easy to find on Group DIY). I personally left the 1.8k resistor in place b/c I liked how the subtle roll off interacted with the tone of the box.

Hope this is helpful!
Old 31st March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
"The way to fix this is to add a resistor to the attack pot or simply use a larger pot."

I am interested in which larger pot you used. I am going to build my first 1176 soon!! Getting the rest of my research done, then parts! I am using a Mnats PCB.
Old 1st April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad ➑️
Yo emreyazgin.

Nice test. Some tips....

If you built the Mnats version there are a few tweaks you need to do to get it on spec with the original UA version ... to my knowledge these are not documented b/c I'm not sure anyone cares about the subtle differences. I've built 3 1176's ...so I know these boxes well.

1. The ATTACK time on the DIY version is faster than it should be. You can clearly hear it in this clip. The UAD version at the same setting has a slower attack, allowing a bit more transient through for the 'meatier' sound others are hearing. The way to fix this is to add a resistor to the attack pot or simply use a larger pot. I can't remember what I did off hand (can check when I'm at the studio if you want) but this made a world of difference...

2. If you're using the OEP transformer, they are underspec'd (seems you're not using them). Joe Malone brought this up at one point on GROUP DIY. If they're wired 2:1, you're going to saturate them prematurely... some might like this sound... I personally think it makes the low sound too blurry/dirty in not a nice way. I wired mine 1:2 and now they pass 20hz cleanly up to about -3dbfs and have a real nice bouncy low end to them. It made a big difference. Also the box no longer has insane gain on the output.

3. There's a 1.8k resistor (from memory) that affects the top end... it gives the box a very broad high shelf starting at about 16k and down 1.5db at 20khz. If you replace this resistor with a 1k the top end is flat (you'll have to do a search to find which resistor this is... should be easy to find on Group DIY). I personally left the 1.8k resistor in place b/c I liked how the subtle roll off interacted with the tone of the box.

Hope this is helpful!
I am so sorry I didn't see these replies before! These are FANTASTIC tips! Thanks a lot for sharing. I will do some research and get back to you if I need further help.

My transformer is Lundhal, not OEP. Apart from that, I do notice that the attack is a bit too much!...Also the release doesn't look like its doing too much job on the slower side..is there a reason for that?
Old 1st April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meoff ➑️
"The way to fix this is to add a resistor to the attack pot or simply use a larger pot."

I am interested in which larger pot you used. I am going to build my first 1176 soon!! Getting the rest of my research done, then parts! I am using a Mnats PCB.
I have to look when I get back to the studio but I think 500k...
Old 3rd August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn... I prefer the UAD! I know this is an old thread, but do you (the OP) remember what you used to record the kick? It sounds pretty good!
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysenterygary ➑️
Damn... I prefer the UAD! I know this is an old thread, but do you (the OP) remember what you used to record the kick? It sounds pretty good!
A couple days ago , I was talking to a very successful engineer who happens to be my friend , I told him about me getting a uad satellite and he told that since he got this 3.33 hexacore Mac, he barely has used his uad arsenal , he went completely native and he is thinking in selling his. Uad plugs !!!?? What makes me think how much do we really need uad in this times we are living .... I would like to here your honest opinion !!!??
Old 6th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
While it may be true that computers are powerful enough to just go native, UAD has plug ins like the massive passive that you can't get anywhere else. Should they just offer their stuff as native plug ins? Maybe, but I think many customers have gotten the cards and would probably be pissed if the plugs could be gotten native now. I'm sure there are other reasons too.
πŸ“ Reply