The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMP SHOOT out!! MESA DUAL REC, ROADSTER, 5150 , AXE FX more!!!
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Smile AMP SHOOT out!! MESA DUAL REC, ROADSTER, 5150 , AXE FX more!!!

Hey guys, did a little shoot out. Everything can be tweaked a little more but so far heres where it's at.

Clips are MESA DUAL REC, MESA ROADSTER, 5150, AXE FX, LINE 6 POD FARM, and AMPLITUBE.

All kinda heavy rock metal tones.

Clips are left and right tracked and chain was ESP (emg)> AMP> MESA CAB> i5> GERMANIUM> AD16x> PRO TOOLS

AXE was into a Chandler TG2

POD and AMPLITUBE were into DIGI PRE

Whatcha think!!!!!
Attached Files

!GTR CLIP 1.wav (1.45 MB, 4324 views)

!GTR CLIP 2.wav (1.45 MB, 3783 views)

!GTR CLIP 3.wav (1.45 MB, 3569 views)

!GTR CLIP 4.wav (1.45 MB, 3621 views)

!GTR CLIP 5.wav (1.45 MB, 3329 views)

!GTR CLIP 6.wav (1.45 MB, 3500 views)

Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Red face

No guesses??
Old 25th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hear no difference other then #6 I don't like.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you listen to the chunkier stuff at the end of each clip you can hear more difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Telling you man... I would be happy with any of those. If listening in the context of a song as a listener not caring about minute stuff. I wouldn't notice a thing.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
All usable imo.

I'll go...roadster, 5150, pod, dr, axe, amplitube.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
well---you got one right.
Schnert
There were some nasty loud cymbals in there masking just about everything
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL ➑️
well---you got one right.
I can't tell, like them all bar 6 which sounds a bit thin and weird in the top end. Im listening on a macbook mind and i tend to think its difficult to differentiate between these high gain sounds anyway
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Guess i should have done this in the first place but here's everything without drums.

Now you can tell a bit more difference
Attached Files

!GTR CLIP 1 no drums.wav (1.45 MB, 1392 views)

!GTR CLIP 2 no drums.wav (1.45 MB, 1265 views)

!GTR CLIP 3 no drums.wav (1.45 MB, 1160 views)

!GTR CLIP 4 no drums.wav (1.45 MB, 1325 views)

!GTR CLIP 5 no drums.wav (1.45 MB, 1081 views)

!GTR CLIP 6 no drums.wav (1.45 MB, 1090 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
#5 jumped out to me as radically different - in the mids...
#3 sounded either thinner or just a tick softer, perhaps.
#4 seems to have a wierd hollowness - almost like a thin phaser or something... very artificial, and matches what I've heard from the AxeFX (which I'm perfectly willing to say has never ONCE impressed me in the demo clips... if the thing is worth that cash, please get some really organic clips...)

They'd all, except for #4 and #5, be great options. I like #1's chunk-chunka-chunk the best I'll guess Mesa Dual Rec, since my old bandmate had one that sounded not far from that. I love me some 5150, but those are usually a bit more fizzy, and none of these sounded that way (unless it's 4 or 5 and miked wierd...)

I use amplitube 2 with cabinet IR's, and can get some GREAT heavy tones that way... kinda like singing into a cheaper mic: folks who know that mic and the following chain can pull stuff out that other folks would dismiss simply for the label on the thing (or price tag). Amplitube is a fabulous tool (ideally used in conjunction with real amp tracks, but fine on its own). Use IR'S for the cabinets!!!! It's night and day for heavy stuff!

-Matt
Old 26th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
#1 - Liked it, a bit too 'digital' sounding and lacking low-end though
#2 - Liked it more more harmonics than #1, also low-end is better
#3 - Sound thin and 'distant'
#4 - Bad harmonics; almost out of tuning! worst of all for me...
#5 - No good high-end, harsh and not natural
#6 - Has noise/hiss! A bit distant and the hi-end lacks but the most natural sounding imho

For me the preference would be:

2 > 6 > 1 > 3 > 5 > 4
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
more guesses bump bump
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnert ➑️
There were some nasty loud cymbals in there masking just about everything
You mean like in real world use?

TH
Old 27th August 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Very close! I's take number 2. 5 and 6 were a bit soft.
Old 28th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Number 4 is most likely the POD. Let's see the answers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd go with 1 or 3.

I have never managed to get the same sound out of 5150 and amps sims. I usually go for multiply mics on a guitar cap... two or three mics and then it's starting to sound right, never had any luck with a single mic for heavy guitars.

Great shootout!! Listened only to the drum versions.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I prefer the first three clips.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
answers?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ANSWERS

Clip 1 Dual Rec
Clip 2 Roadster
Clip 3 5150
Clip 4 Axefx
Clip 5 Line 6
Clip 6 Amplitube

Im kinda leaning towards the Roadster. It has a lot of options and seems to be easier to dial in then the Rec. The Rec gets fizzy quick and is real easy to make a bad recording fast. I wish I had an older two channel to try out as they say those are the good ones. Im also thinking about the 5150 as it seems to do the heavy thing very well and for $600 used, man thats a good price.

What are your thoughts???
Old 23rd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL ➑️
ANSWERS

Clip 1 Dual Rec
Clip 2 Roadster
Clip 3 5150
Clip 4 Axefx
Clip 5 Line 6
Clip 6 Amplitube

Im kinda leaning towards the Roadster. It has a lot of options and seems to be easier to dial in then the Rec. The Rec gets fizzy quick and is real easy to make a bad recording fast. I wish I had an older two channel to try out as they say those are the good ones. Im also thinking about the 5150 as it seems to do the heavy thing very well and for $600 used, man thats a good price.

What are your thoughts???
Hi, I had two mesa in my life and I sold them both.
A DR tremoverb and a DR 3ch.

I listened to your clips, the DR, the Roadster and the 5150.
They all sound extremely close to each other, how did you make the 5150 sound so much like the mesas?

Between the DR and the roadster I prefered the roadster slightly, it seems to have more beef to it.
I'm thinking about getting another mesa again or a 5150 now that I have two good marshall, I'd like one or the other to compliment my marshalls.

I'd like to know how you got them to sound so close if possible.
thanks
Old 20th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagils ➑️
#1 - Liked it, a bit too 'digital' sounding and lacking low-end though
#2 - Liked it more more harmonics than #1, also low-end is better
#3 - Sound thin and 'distant'
#4 - Bad harmonics; almost out of tuning! worst of all for me...
#5 - No good high-end, harsh and not natural
#6 - Has noise/hiss! A bit distant and the hi-end lacks but the most natural sounding imho

For me the preference would be:

2 > 6 > 1 > 3 > 5 > 4
Agree on only the Axefx...man that was the only one that had completely fake distortion.

This is the sound that all those Axe fanatics think is so awesome. They dont seem to understand that its a distortion pedal sound. All their drive amps have this same mid heavy D pedal sound. I guess when you get used to such a sound you seem to think that its authentic---which explains why many of them say the Axe sounds better than a real amp.

Nooo, its sounds like a distortion pedal with its attack way beyond what any real amp produces with just tubes.

Many mistake the Dual recto sound as being digital sounding when I recognized that immediately as the real amp. Its tell tale sign is that high harmonic fizz that is actually out of tune with the chord. Now, they all have a bit of that but AXE FX fake distortion sound actually modulates in a real bad way. Pod can do this too but its not doing it in this clip. Axe is the only one that modulates on that harmonic in a digital way. Now that I pointed it out you'll hear it bend and waver immediately after the chord is sustained.

The real recto's fizz will sound fizzy but much less buzzy than modelers. Its a more pleasant fizz. Amplitube is crumbly undefined distortion in this clip.
Old 21st February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
4 and 5 sounded like toys.

The rest could all be viable depending on what else was going on in the track.

The AXE FX took the cake for the "Wow, do people really think this thing sounds good?"
award. Awful.

Should be called ASS FX if this is the best it can do.

TH
Old 22nd February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Roadster sounds way better than the rest. I would go for it if money's not an issue.
Amplitube on the contrary just lacks all the power and punch the Roadster has and is IMHO the worst of all.
Old 28th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have a Mesa Single 50 for the studio that just doesn't sound right when played through anything but a Mesa cab... go figure.

Don't feel like ponying up for a Mesa cab, personally.
Old 28th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Roadster and 5150 would be a sick combo. The Axe-FX was terrible! I don't get the hype around it -- I've heard some incredible tones out of it, but some awful ones too.

The V30s (I'm assuming) in the Mesa cab will influence the sound a lot, too. I bet the 5150 would shine with something with a little more bottom and top -- maybe a G12H30 or a G12K100. Likewise, I bet a Thiele cab with an EVM-12L or Delta Pro 12A would be really flattering to the Dual Rec.
Old 13th March 2010 | Show parent
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I made a new clip for the Axe-Fx version. It has been recorded direct only (no mics, no cabs, no amps) and no post processing has been applied.
Chain was: 2006 Gibson Les Paul Std (stock pickups) -> Axe-Fx -> Soundtracs Megas Console (flat eq) -> Digi 002R -> Pro Tools.
I used the Recto Orange amp model and a dual-cab setup with 4x12 30W/57 and 4x12 CALI/58.

EDIT: And another one: "Recto New" model and dual-cab setup with 4x12 GERMAN/421 and 4x12 METAL/421

EDIT-2: I just noticed that I used one-channel-versions of the original clips from this thread, but they have been double-tracked in stereo! Mine has been single-tracked, so you really cannot compare them very good, sorry.
Attached Files

axe-gtr-clip-RiF.wav (1.44 MB, 775 views)

axe-gtr-clip-RiF2.wav (1.42 MB, 751 views)

Old 15th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I guessed 4 instantly as the Axe FX because of the big stereo sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Rif you always get great tones from that. The stuff I heard you do on AXE-forums is great.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF ➑️
I made a new clip for the Axe-Fx version. It has been recorded direct only (no mics, no cabs, no amps) and no post processing has been applied.
Chain was: 2006 Gibson Les Paul Std (stock pickups) -> Axe-Fx -> Soundtracs Megas Console (flat eq) -> Digi 002R -> Pro Tools.
I used the Recto Orange amp model and a dual-cab setup with 4x12 30W/57 and 4x12 CALI/58.

EDIT: And another one: "Recto New" model and dual-cab setup with 4x12 GERMAN/421 and 4x12 METAL/421

EDIT-2: I just noticed that I used one-channel-versions of the original clips from this thread, but they have been double-tracked in stereo! Mine has been single-tracked, so you really cannot compare them very good, sorry.
well you have to take into account you are using Digi 002 A/D conversion. If you are taking the analog out of the Fractal. A fairer listen would be the digital out of the Fractal unless you are going through higher end converters.
πŸ“ Reply