Quantcast
Test Line Audio 8MP + Aurora 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Test Line Audio 8MP + Aurora 8
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Test Line Audio 8MP + Aurora 8

Here is a looptest of the eight chanell version of Line Audio's mic preamp and Lynx Aurora 8.

DA > preamp > AD.

DA: -10dBV
AD: +4dBu
Preamp: -20dB pad + aprox. 30dB gain.

Levels are calibrated so files should be well matched and 0dBFS on output = 0dBFS at input.

Guitarclip at 88.2kS/s:

https://gearspace.com/board/attachme...-12stringa.wav

8MPloop12st.wav

Jazzclip at 44.1kS/s:

https://gearspace.com/board/attachme...-itsmylife.wav

8MPitsmylife.wav

/Peter
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The guitar clip is recorded with a pair of Earthworks QTC1 > Earthworks ZDT 1024 > Lynx aurora @ 88.2kS/s. No processing.

I listened to the files yesterday late with HD650 and I did not hear a difference.

Do you hear a difference?

/Peter
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
100 views and no comments?

I must be starting very boring threads! heh

Would the test be more interesting with some other material?

I've heard so much about only a few extremly costly boxes is good enough for critical work. Surely one must be able to score 9/10 on these files of the Line Audio 8MP and Lynx Aurora 8... right?

Also included is 10 meter generic signal cable and sure THAT must be ruin the sound right? Solid core silver is what we need... or?

Or maybe not!

/Peter
Old 19th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
NO WAY ! This is almost the thread I was looking for

What I'd really would love to hear is a shootout in between the (euphony of the?) DAV and the (transparency of the ?) Line Audio, better with a mic, a good cardioid (mkh8040? MK4?) would be my perfect shootout. Do you have a dav around?
Maybe I'll post my own someday if nobody else has done by then, it may be very interesting for a lot of slutz.

_

Ok, now what I could hear here:

1- 1st Impression: WOOOOW the same or incredibly similar.

2- BLIND AB revealed I can idetify the looped, but for none a particular thing, just could identify wich one was more pure, maybe the other being half a hair more somewhat muted/obscured in some zone and a hair overall distorted (specially noticeable in the his and air), but was almost more of a sense than a perception.

3- Crazy added impression in another listeng in the song: Do I prefer the slight colour and distortion of the loop? haha. (not in th long run)

Thank you !
Moi from Spain.
Old 20th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for input. The first after a year!

May I ask about the statistics on the jazz clip?

/Peter
Old 22nd February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I did a null test on the guitar samples: -55 dBFS RMS, -30 dBFS peak. The sample level is -34 dB RMS, -18 dBFS peak. Note that the impedance seen by the preamp from the AD converter is much higher than the one from a mic. I don't know what is the significance of my figures and the one of this impedance issue.
Old 22nd February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know exactly what hose nulling results means in terms of actual level difference. Peak -30dBFS possibly 0.3dB or so?

I don't remember but I thought I calibrated better than that.

/Peter
Old 9th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
What artist is doing the jazz cover of It's My Life? Regards.
Old 11th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Line Audio is crazy good value if you ask me. 8 channels of premium preamps for under 5.000 SEK. And the mini condensors are really nice, too. And cheap.
Old 31st December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a very easy time with differences between the "loop" 12 string guitar and the original, even listening at low volumes.

I would describe it as a definite thickening- enlarging the fundamental pitch of everything, but not changing anything else. It doesn't make the sound more nor less bright, nor change the image in any way.

The difference was much easier to spot than many A/B files on GS. I was listening on Rogers LS3/5A's.

This may be an ideal match for a lean mic. I'm not sure what it would do to something like the classic MKH series, which I would describe it similar terms-they emphasize the fundamental.

Having said that, I acknowledge the caveats expressed earlier about such a "loop" test. But as this change involves only the fundamental, and doesn't seem to change the tilt of the sound, I'm not sure it can be attributed to impedance mis/matching.

(Here's to long lived threads. Will it make it to 2011?)
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Peter : thanks for the sound files. Who is the singer on "It's my life" track (Tony Benett ?) and what is the recording chain here ?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi soundrules!

No idea about the singer. Can you clarify the question about the recording chain?

/Peter
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop ➑️
Hi soundrules!

No idea about the singer. Can you clarify the question about the recording chain?

/Peter

Peter : hello !

"Recording chain" I meant :
mics (?) -> Line audio MP8 -> recorder/ interface (?)

The song "It's my life" is a classic (Paul Anka, Bon Jovi...), this mystery man singer really grooves...
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi soundrules, sorry for late answer.

The actual recording of the guitar was Eartworks QTC1 > Earthworks ZDT 1024 > Lynx Aurora 8.

The test is using Line Audio 8MP and Lynx Aurora 8 in a loop.

Yes, I think the singer is Tony Benett.

/Peter
Old 12th January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ok, thanks Peter.

I am still hesitating between grabbing a Line Audio 8MP or a RME XTC...

I own the RME UFX already and want to cascade the UFX with MORE preamps...

I record mostly Jazz, Free Jazz, Classical...

Any recommendation ?
Old 12th January 2014
Old 12th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest ➑️
Hello Didier !
Yes, I heard this tests previously, thank you. Great test. I need more preamps to feed the line level inputs of my UFX. I am just wondering what is the gain and what is the loss choosing between the XTC or the 8MP..."sonically" speaking. The project is to record piano in a big room and to install differents arrays at the same time in order to keep the best takes at the end.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrules ➑️
Hello Didier !
I am just wondering what is the gain and what is the loss choosing between the XTC or the 8MP..."sonically" speaking.
The sound difference between these preamps are so small that I would not care. I feel that the XTC might sound a bit better. Same preamps like the Mictasy and the Fireface 400/UC/UCX/UFX UFX.
The 8MP is much cheaper and has only analog outputs. The XTC has only digital outputs (except both unbalanced stereo ones for monitoring) in ADAT, AES-EBU and MADI. IMO the actual difference is here.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest ➑️
The sound difference between these preamps are so small that I would not care. I feel that the XTC might sound a bit better. Same preamps like the Mictasy and the Fireface 400/UC/UCX/UFX UFX.
The 8MP is much cheaper and has only analog outputs. The XTC has only digital outputs (except both unbalanced stereo ones for monitoring) in ADAT, AES-EBU and MADI. IMO the actual difference is here.
Right. Thanks.
πŸ“ Reply