SAMPLES: Pacifica vs Avalon 2022 vs Focusrite ISA828
Old 12th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Avalon sound fuucking great
Old 15th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My 2 cents: I think the Avalon sound quite loud (which makes it sound better to many) and yes it has some body. But I like most the Pacifica in this application because it makes the Guitar shine very nice and it has both smooth and edgier parts. I think that Focusrite and Pacifica sound more similar too.

I would love to hear the same test with a male vocal recording.
Old 27th August 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Im actually buying a 2022 because of this shootout. So many pacifica plants on this board that I was almost fooled, but in that comparison its a night and day difference and a no-brainer.
Old 3rd September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness008 ➡️
Im actually buying a 2022 because of this shootout. So many pacifica plants on this board that I was almost fooled, but in that comparison its a night and day difference and a no-brainer.
Old 19th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hold on a sec.

The aiffs are no longer available, but I did d/l the attached mp3s, and brought them in to my sequencer, where they nulled. 1 nulled with 2, 2, nulled with 3, and 1 nulled with 3. So, those are not different examples of mic pres - all three are the same file. And yet, there are people in this thread who claim they hear a difference. Can someone step up, be a man, and explain this to me, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo ➡️
Just a shot and I will say....1).Pacifica warm and more colored, and the bass notes seemed to sustain in full fashion longer then 2)Focusrite , brighter and hotter in the mid, and the 3)Avalon..more neutral sounding and a little more beef then the Focusrite.
Again, can someone explain this to me, please?
Old 19th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat ➡️
Hold on a sec.

The aiffs are no longer available, but I did d/l the attached mp3s, and brought them in to my sequencer, where they nulled. 1 nulled with 2, 2, nulled with 3, and 1 nulled with 3. So, those are not different examples of mic pres - all three are the same file. And yet, there are people in this thread who claim they hear a difference. Can someone step up, be a man, and explain this to me, please?

Again, can someone explain this to me, please?

Firstly since you picked my example, where many heard differences..it was 2 years ago and who knows what the mp3s sounded like. Secondly, my guesses were all wrong any way, although I am sure I heard these differences at the time. I have no reason to be looking for kudos on my judgement. It was probably just what I heard. Again I don't even remember this. Some people listen on PC speakers some on quality cans like me, and some in their actual studios. A lot of different reference points.
Either way you are always going to get different comparisons.

All performances are recorded at the same time ...through DIs ...it says so on the OP post.
Maybe that explains your scientific result, where they null. It would prove the sound of each less if they were separate recordings.
Old 21st December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you for stepping up and responding.

"..it was 2 years ago and who knows what the mp3s sounded like"

Well, I can tell you that they sounded exactly the same then as they do today.

If all performances were recorded at the same time through different mic pres, as the op suggests, the files wouldn't null. If all performances were recorded at the same time through the same mic pre, then the files would null.

Still wondering how people can claim they hear a difference between three files that are the same.

Cheers.
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
What I mean is I don't even remember this to be honest.
📝 Reply