The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are shoot outs pointless ???
Old 14th August 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Are shoot outs pointless ???

Just wanted peoples inputs ...I've seen a few good shootouts on YouTube with vintage German gear and even thought about doing one with my pristine v76 and dbx 160 vu versus the UAD plug-in versions ....then I thought ...what's the point unless you upload high resolution audio files...with most modern playback devices does it really make a difference ...yes I have a few nice pieces for my personal studio but in the end I find it just makes it easier to get good sounds ...set up press record ...as opposed to the mixing gymnastics required with other pieces .....thoughts ?
Old 14th August 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think shootouts are, potentially, fun. But compared to actually using the gear in question, in your own space, on your own projects, yes, they are reasonably pointless, for the reasons you say and more. People who have spent considerable time in well-equipped professional studios have a huge advantage when it comes to starting a project studio of their own: they've gotten to survey a wide range of professional equipment in person and will probably know pretty well what works for them. People doing all their research on YT and GS are shooting in the dark, by comparison.
Old 15th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
I think shootouts are, potentially, fun. But compared to actually using the gear in question, in your own space, on your own projects, yes, they are reasonably pointless, for the reasons you say and more. People who have spent considerable time in well-equipped professional studios have a huge advantage when it comes to starting a project studio of their own: they've gotten to survey a wide range of professional equipment in person and will probably know pretty well what works for them. People doing all their research on YT and GS are shooting in the dark, by comparison.
Solid observation ..... I hate to say it but I may post one of my v76 and dbx 160 verses the uad plug-in versions I have
📝 Reply