Quantcast
sE8 Omni vs KM183 on Piano - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sE8 Omni vs KM183 on Piano
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sE8 Omni vs KM183 on Piano

Here is a comparison between a pair of KM183's, and a pair of sE8's with omni capsules, on an out-of-tune Bösendorfer (sorry). The mics were gaff taped together, so as close as physically possible. No EQ or reverb.

I'll answer which is which after folks have a chance to listen. Which do you think is which?
Attached Files

MicA.mp3 (5.69 MB, 528 views)

MicB.mp3 (5.69 MB, 705 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbin ➡️
Here is a comparison between a pair of KM183's, and a pair of sE8's with omni capsules, on an out-of-tune Bösendorfer (sorry). The mics were gaff taped together, so as close as physically possible. No EQ or reverb.

I'll answer which is which after folks have a chance to listen. Which do you think is which?
MicA has more meat to the sound. MicB has a lighter touch (which can be an advantage in this particular case). I would guess that A is the Neumann and B is the sE...
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G ➡️
MicA has more meat to the sound. MicB has a lighter touch (which can be an advantage in this particular case). I would guess that A is the Neumann and B is the sE...
I agree, more meat (and tone) in MicA - I like it better, at least in this situation. I reckon it's the Neumann.

::
Mads
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
B is brighter, could be the km183 (having a higher bump around 10kHz).
Old 1 week ago
Zed
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Mic A is better in this example... I think Neumann KM183
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the replies.

Answer Key:
Code:
Mic A is the sE8 pair.
Mic B is the KM183 pair.
I agree that the sE's are preferable here.

In reality, the natural sound of the piano to my ear was somewhere between the two. It was a fairly muddy piano and the sE's helped open it up a little.

I really like the extra midrange brightness of the sE's here, and like that the overall quality doesn't seem to lack anything compared to the Neumanns. Although, there is also an inherently relaxing and classy quality to the Neumanns that I'm not sure if it's just the different timbre here, or an indication of something else.

That said, I suspect the extra brightness is going to be a bit harsh in comparison on other sources like strings.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Answer Key:
Code:
Mic A is the sE8 pair.
Mic B is the KM183 pair.

In reality, the natural sound of the piano to my ear was somewhere between the two. It was a fairly muddy piano and the sE's helped open it up a little.

I really like the extra midrange brightness of the sE's here, and like that the overall quality doesn't seem to lack anything compared to the Neumanns. Although, there is also an inherently relaxing and classy quality to the Neumanns that I'm not sure if it's just the different timbre here, or an indication of something else.

That said, I suspect the extra brightness is going to be a bit harsh in comparison on other sources like strings.
Now that was an interesting result. I will definitely listen again. Still, this test has made me confident that the sE8 omni is a serious microphone. Great!

PS: I'm curious about the microphone technique used here - can you elaborate a little?
Mads
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➡️
PS: I'm curious about the microphone technique used here - can you elaborate a little?
I should have taken photos, sorry.

They were in AB, about 60cm between the mics. 2m-ish from the piano, about 2.5m high, positioned off the crook of the piano (but a little towards the player side / hammers). This was after trying several positions and spending time optimizing, with input from another two engineers and myself. But actually we were not optimizing for either of these mics but rather the ones that ended up being used - a pair of OC818's in open-cardioid. Recorded in a 1400-seat concert hall.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

They were in AB, about 60cm between the mics. 2m-ish from the piano, about 2.5m high, positioned off the crook of the piano (but a little towards the player side / hammers). This was after trying several positions and spending time optimizing, with input from another two engineers and myself. But actually we were not optimizing for either of these mics but rather the ones that ended up being used - a pair of OC818's in open-cardioid. Recorded in a 1400-seat concert hall.
Very interesting! Thanks a lot...

Would it be possible to give us a snippet of the OC818's too?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Thanks for the info - I agree it would be interesting to hear what the OC818 captured
Mads
Zed
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Answer Key:
Code:
Mic A is the sE8 pair.
Mic B is the KM183 pair.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!
📝 Reply