The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MY NEW SONY C800G TYPE MIC THE ZP800G KILLING THE AA AUDIO CM800T CLONE
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

MY NEW SONY C800G TYPE MIC THE ZP800G KILLING THE AA AUDIO CM800T CLONE

I have recorded some audio files and level matched the audio , the zp output was A bit softer then the AA I think because it having less proxi-effect so less bass to it.

My chain - UAD twin X -NEVE73 55 db gain- and a little Valhalla vintage Reverb- no more processing - Distance 10cm - in bedroom with some bass traps panels and diffussers

My experience is that you can really tell how a mic performs is in contrast with the music so I put A beat under it so you can hear how the mic sits in the music I believe thats the best way to judge A mic.
Attached Thumbnails
MY NEW SONY C800G TYPE MIC THE ZP800G KILLING THE AA AUDIO CM800T CLONE-schermafbeelding-2021-04-12-om-17.17.19.jpg  
Attached Files

ZP800G test FILE SHOOTOUT.wav (4.05 MB, 782 views)

CM800T test FILE SHOOTOUT.wav (4.38 MB, 788 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Not sure what is better or worse, but they are not in the same universe character-wise. No relation.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➡️
Not sure what is better or worse, but they are not in the same universe character-wise. No relation.
Agreed. Utterly different categories of mic. For your music, I can see why you prefer the ZP. It also sounds like there might be something wrong with your AA... it has much less top-end than I've heard in other demos of it.

I will say, however, that you have a very cool voice! I like your track.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The c800g is supposed to be a bright mic. How can anyone claim the CM800T is close to the c800g if it's supposed to be a bright mic and then it sounds like that. Mine also lacks brightness. @ Paul G and @ microphoneGuy please comment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wow - you couldn't get two more different mics - supposed clones of the fabled Sony!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The CM800T sounds terrible in this example. Sounds distorted, something is up with yours for sure. You need to reach out to tech support and see what they can do for you.

As for the comparison, no dude...ZP800 is 2200+ and it's a FET mic....the CM800T is 800 and it's a tube mic. The only similarities you can compare to these are the "800" in the name. Aside from that, apples and oranges.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The cm800t sound quite bright to my other microphones it just needed the usual extra EQ fixes. Recording is in cardiode and 10cm from the mics, no clipping and enough headroom. But it seems I'm not the only one, and it got mention above others recognize this characteristic of the cm800t being muddy and missing top or in other words the open sound. The zp800g is indeed expensive but I like it more than my u87 and brauner phanthera, so I think for me personal the price is right, but the comparison is indeed not that fair considering the price.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds like BS to me.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Sounds like BS to me.
The recording or some claim being made in this thread?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
The recording or some claim being made in this thread?
All of it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Took my cm800t over to another studio that also owns one same result, recording in omni gave allot better results less bass but still very dull top. Paul I know your A big fan of the AA and because your promising words on gearslutz saying : that's it sounds exactly the same as the sony c800g . I took the jump, like probable many others so maybe you can share some info or sound files how you make them sound the same like your sony c800g, or shoot them out yourself level matched on A beat no processing, so we can compare ? If you like ? Not calling you out, the forum ain't for that purpose, just asking you friendly , Peace no hate here , or if other owners can chime in ? . Anyway I'm selling the cm800t have no use for it anymore in my chain like this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnaudiofury ➡️
Took my cm800t over to another studio that also owns one same result, recording in omni gave allot better results less bass but still very dull top.
I don't believe you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well I believe you. I got one directly from AA that sounded like crap. No open high end, very strange frequency response. Also had 2 cm67se's that sounded super dull and lifeless, even tried removing the high freq rolloff cap in both mics...didn't make much of a difference. Maybe they are churning them out too fast or had a bad run on capsules/tubes....who knows. But all 3 mics were a big disappointment. Others seem to love them though and the demos online do sound great.

I believe Paul G as well though, his mic shootout speaks for itself and was part of why I got interested in AA as well. It just didn't bear out when I had the mic in front of me. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough.....maybe you bought mine?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I also believe you as I also have one and it sounds exactly like in the example. I wish I had sent it back directly or at least gotten rid of it when they still were overhyped. Now it's gonna be a tough sale.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks @ Eigenwert and @ ziegenh5 , paul indeed could have a brighter one this is just my experience with the cm800t and I Am glad to know its not broken, I am more then happy with the ZP mic its exactly what I want from it. , the cm800t sold quite quick for A nice price actually
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnaudiofury ➡️
Thanks @ Eigenwert and @ ziegenh5 , paul indeed could have a brighter one this is just my experience with the cm800t and I Am glad to know its not broken, I am more then happy with the ZP mic its exactly what I want from it. , the cm800t sold quite quick for A nice price actually
Were you the one selling it for 850€? I think I sold mine too cheap then...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I also got way less , Covid 19 full lockdown here , nobody is investing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Meine Erfahrung mit dem ZP

Who knows it too? You have to make new compromises every time when it comes to vocal recording. Either we have to get close enough to the microphone to get the voice intimate and direct, but then we get problems with the proximity effect. Or you keep your 20-30 cm distance to get a clean signal, but you have to accept the space and the indirect signal. Do you know that when you are too close to the microphone and you have problems with the S or the plosives jump towards you? In such cases, the professional would use a microphone with omni characteristics in a professional recording room. But even there you have to come to terms with the spatial sound and it has to please. Most of the vocals sound thick, bassy, ​​muffled, withdrawn in the raw recordings. But a voice never beats its way through the beat like this. The microphones are usually designed to add something to the voice that might make it sound good solo, but make complete frequency ranges superfluous in the mix. Vocals need to be clear, bright, big, soft and detailed, compressed and centered in the middle of the mix. If we have to mix too much vocals on every song, the result is an unnatural and twisted vocal. I plug in the microphone, pull the gain a little higher than usual and what I get here is exactly what I need. I don't know how ZP Microphones did it, but this microphone sounds exactly like any other microphone in the mix would have it. A microphone that doesn’t produce S-sounds during a close meeting, doesn’t sound too bassy or weak, or brings the booming voice forward. All frequencies are reproduced in the correct ratio. You'd think you'd record with a microphone that combines cardioid and omnidirectional characteristics in the sound. A balanced and open sound like the spherical pattern but less room influences from the sides and behind the microphone like a cardioid pattern. The microphone is tuned to vocals and you can hear that too. You can put a compressor directly on the vocals without it starting to pump, as the vocals are not pushed in the deeper too much here. The ZP800G does not sound thin, but has enough power to give the voice the necessary punch
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Blah, blah, blah.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Check out @ German Recording.de
https://recording.de/threads/zp-micr...-hatte.238803/

Sei nicht traurig Paul es gibt immer etwas was besser ist :-*

Ich habe mein Cm800T nach einem Monat wieder verkauft
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Ich gab noch länger mit dem Teil rumgewurschtelt, zumal es bei den Gierschlampen immer so hoch gejubelt wurde und ich dachte, dass es möglicherweise daran liegt, dass Vocalist und Mikrofon vielleicht nicht so zusammenpassten und keine hochprofessionelle Gesangskabine vorhanden ist... Aber dank dieses verhassten Threads mit seiner Vergleichsaufnahme ist mir klar geworden: Das Mikro klingt nunmal so, wie es klingt - und das Mikro und ich, wir werden keine Freunde mehr. Weg damit - und noch am gleichen Tag habe ich ein Sphere L22 gefunden.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yikes. I'm sorry, but this really does come across as some rather brazen and un-subtle astroturfing. Please forgive my heaps of skepticism.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breymien ➡️
Check out @ German Recording.de
https://recording.de/threads/zp-micr...-hatte.238803/

Sei nicht traurig Paul es gibt immer etwas was besser ist :-*

Ich habe mein Cm800T nach einem Monat wieder verkauft
I'm not sad, I have a real Sony if I want THE sound.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Das ist ja auch gut und so soll es sein, das ZP ist auch kein Klon, aber das ZP ist bis 3000 € das beste Mikrofon für moderne Vocals was ich kenne . Und ich kenne sehr sehr viele, sehr gut. Ich finde so ein wunderbares Mikrofon verdient seinen Platz .
Gear Addict

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah.
This scientific explanation wins this debate.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
What happened to "they sound exactly the same, I even sold my second c800g and now use the remaining c800g with the CM800T as a stereo couple" blah, blah, blah?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breymien ➡️
Das ist ja auch gut und so soll es sein, das ZP ist auch kein Klon, aber das ZP ist bis 3000 € das beste Mikrofon für moderne Vocals was ich kenne . Und ich kenne sehr sehr viele, sehr gut. Ich finde so ein wunderbares Mikrofon verdient seinen Platz .
Did you try the Townsend Labs Sphere L22? It was used on Gunna, YoungBoy, Rich The Kid, Nicki Minaj and Post Malone, so obviously it should do the trick/ not hold anyone back as well. The ZP seems to be a great sounding mic though.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Did you try the Townsend Labs Sphere L22? It was used on Gunna, YoungBoy, Rich The Kid, Nicki Minaj and Post Malone, so obviously it should do the trick/ not hold anyone back as well. The ZP seems to be a great sounding mic though.
Until now I had the problem with every microphone that I had to turn in a lot of highs for the sound I wanted. I'm not a fan of thinning out the vocals in the lower frequency range. I need the body for the vocals, but I would like to have bright, detailed and still soft vocals. the ZP provides me with the sound as it should. I dont used Townsend
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What happened to "they sound exactly the same, I even sold my second c800g and now use the remaining c800g with the CM800T as a stereo couple" blah, blah, blah?
It was the truth. That’s what I did. I’m sorry your experiences didn’t match up to mine.
I still firmly believe the AA is a great clone despite the backlash boys.

Good luck on your quest....
📝 Reply