The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Pro-1 VS UHE Repro-1 Musical Blind Test
View Poll Results: Which is the Analog Behringer?
Synth A
6 Votes - 54.55%
Synth B
5 Votes - 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 weeks ago
Behringer Pro-1 VS UHE Repro-1 Musical Blind Test

Ok I tried to match the sounds as closely as possible, they are still a tad different but really you can decide which you like better

I put them through exactly the same effects and level matched them

What do you think is the Behringer vs what do you think is the UHE VST?

Every time A and B are the same synth so its either one or the other

BTW one of the tricks to make your VSTs sound more like analog is detune your instruments by a few cents from one another so they are not all perfectly in tune because that creates a flatness that is a dead giveaway, so I emulated "natural tuning" on the UHE for this one
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 5 years
A is Repro imo.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Me too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Sequential Pro-1, Behringer Pro-1 and U-he Repro-1 sound the same.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
B is a tad more bass heavy and the top end is cut, and the FM sounds are very different. They donโ€™t sound the same. Iโ€™d say A is the hardware copy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I prefer B, as it's less "brittle", the B sound is more "solid" im my ears. I guess that the analog version has less highs, but of course that's a total random guess.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I prefer B. Can't say which is a VST though. Seems like the differences could just be programming (glide is a touch more on B for example) and from everything I've heard and tried Repro is spot on.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
A is the PRO-1
B is REPRO
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
A: Hardware
B: VST
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

A definitely sounds better to me. B gives me a slight grainy feel somehow. On the last example the release on B is giving off pops. Don't know if that points to analog or digital... I suppose under the presumption that analog sounds better I guess A is the behringer.

Nice test.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

When doing A/B tests, do the filter and resonance sweeps, VST will always fail.
Old 3 weeks ago
Haha well.. B is Repro and A is the hardware

some of my personal thoughts: 1. more or less bass can sometimes be a patch difference especially when it comes to pulse width, i dont think analog always has "more bass" so much as it has a bit "more movement detail and clarity"

personally i do like the hardware better especially when working with it, i can dial up a nice sounding patch much quicker i feel and overall it sounds more "creamy and smooth" the oscillator phasing sounds bigger and wider etc.. the Repro feels very "tight" and rough when working with it so to speak.. like at the end when you just hear the bass you can barely hear the detuned oscillators and the whole envelope and everything just "snaps" like in this very tight unified precise way, whereas on the analog its a bit smoother and sweeter and has more phasing..

also tbh i guess its kind of funny but i think on cheap speakers even cell phone speakers or cheapo consumer headphones i feel like the repro has a bit more "grit" you hear like a small amount of some kind of unpleasent pop or dirt of a sort than the hardware

also i think generally speaking with hardware youre looking more for a sound thats a bit more "moving detailed live/organic and lively" vs neccessarily just being "big or fat" or "more bass".. nowadays VSTs are much fatter and bassier than most analog synths, just dial up some bass wobbles on massive or spire or something haha ..i dont think you can compete with that with an entire wall of moog modulars as far as "size and scope of the sound" goes.. i go with analog hardware generally for a more "organic" sound not necessarily more "fat".. but more like "organic/ like a real instrument" like vs wanting a very like artificial type sound .. the repro does sound a bit less "moving/organic and quite a bit noticeably more stiff and repetitive to my ears..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Interesting. It seems the hardware has more highs?
๐Ÿ“ Reply