Quantcast
Roland Dimension D Comparison - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Dimension D Comparison
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule ➡️
Martin,
your presets sound so great! I like them better than the factory presets and I already used them on a couple of mixes. Thank you!
My pleasure - glad you're already finding them useful!
Old 1 week ago
Here's the Boss VF-1. The mode is called Space Chorus, oddly enough.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by btfnk ➡️
I am attempting to compile a comprehensive comparison of all emulations and clones of the original Roland Dimension D SDD-320 Analog Chorus.

This is the original dry test file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv3f2oj23p...20Dry.wav?dl=0

This is an ongoing project and I will update this post. If you have any suggestions for others to compare or can supply a run through from any of the missing gear that would be great!
how were the hardware tests conducted - mono in or stereo in? not an unimportant factor. sounds to me like some were mono some were stereo in
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewtreemagic ➡️
Adding extra features ironically took Overloud's Gem Mod sound slightly away from the classic Dim D (and the UA version, which is probably the closest to the original hardware).
However, I spent a few hours last night creating four new Overloud presets to more closely match the classic Mode1 through Mode4 sounds - to my ears they are now very close to the original Roland hardware.

Happy to pass on my modified preset bank if anyone's interested.

Have a listen and see what you think!

Martin
what tould get me closer overloud gem or ddmf ers dimd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jams3223 ➡️
what tould get me closer overloud gem or ddmf ers dimd
Well I've got both, and I've now swapped out the ERS DimD for Gem Mod in most projects, largely because there's a low-level buzzy distortion on the DimD (subtle on Mode1, but more obvious when listening to Mode 4 - you can hear this on btfnk's on-line audio files of the DimD during the sinewave sections).

In one song this buzzy Mode4 distortion actually worked better on one sound, giving it an edge, but for the rest I much preferred the sweeter/smoother sound of the Gem Mod with my YTM presets, which is also significantly closer to the Roland DimensionD hardware.

Hope this helps!

Martin
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well I've got both, and I've now swapped out the ERS DimD for Gem Mod in most projects, largely because there's a low-level buzzy distortion on the DimD (subtle on Mode1, but more obvious when listening to Mode 4 - you can hear this on btfnk's on-line audio files of the DimD during the sinewave sections).

In one song this buzzy Mode4 distortion actually worked better on one sound, giving it an edge, but for the rest I much preferred the sweeter/smoother sound of the Gem Mod with my YTM presets, which is also significantly closer to the Roland DimensionD hardware.

Hope this helps!

Martin
ok man thanx but would you say that you would still get back to ddmf if they fixed this bug and since i don't own the hardware how closer are we talking about, sorry to bother you man. also i've found a great tip i can share if you're using one of the bx_console ssl channel strip, you can use softube harmonics before it to add the missing console preamp emulation some console had, just make sure you put it on the solid state to emulate that ssl sound and use the drive knob as a preamp since the console has 50 db of gain you proportionality table by knowing that 10 = 50 db -> 5 = 25 db.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jams3223 ➡️
ok man thanx but would you say that you would still get back to ddmf if they fixed this bug and since i don't own the hardware how closer are we talking about, sorry to bother you man. also i've found a great tip i can share if you're using one of the bx_console ssl channel strip, you can use softube harmonics before it to add the missing console preamp emulation some console had, just make sure you put it on the solid state to emulate that ssl sound and use the drive knob as a preamp since the console has 50 db of gain you proportionality table by knowing that 10 = 50 db -> 5 = 25 db.
I would certainly be happy to go back to the ERS DimD if DDMF could remove this buzzy artefact.

As for how much closer the Gem Mod can sound to the Roland hardware, just have a listen yourself to the sinewave (second) segment:

First, here's Roland's original DimensionD hardware in Mode 4 (from btfnk's incredibly useful archive):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/51sunfgj1...nav_tracking=1

Then compare it with the same segment of the ERS DimD Mode 4 posted on btfnk's archive:

Now finally, listen to the second of the two files (Mode 4) I posted in the previous page of the Gem Mod with my own YTM Mode 4 preset:

Martin
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
I would certainly be happy to go back to the ERS DimD if DDMF could remove this buzzy artefact.

As for how much closer the Gem Mod can sound to the Roland hardware, just have a listen yourself to the sinewave (second) segment:

First, here's Roland's original DimensionD hardware in Mode 4 (from btfnk's incredibly useful archive):

Then compare it with the same segment of the ERS DimD Mode 4 posted on btfnk's archive:

Now finally, listen to the second of the two files (Mode 4) I posted in the previous page of the Gem Mod with my own YTM Mode 4 preset:

Martin
with the ERS DimD i can hear more grit in the high mids than the hardware, it could've been completely close, then with the gem mod i can hear a little bit less modulation than on the hardware but it sounds almast identical. they're both very good but if ddmf fixed the little distortion it adds to the top end i would use it but the gem mod has a bigger advantage of being more versatile than the ERS dimD.
📝 Reply