The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler Limited REDD 47 vs BAE 1073MP vs 1977 API 3288
Old 5th June 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Chandler Limited REDD 47 vs BAE 1073MP vs 1977 API 3288

Ok guys so we did a drum overhead shootout (first time) with video on the Chandler REDD 47 preamps with some other familiar preamps!

The Preamps!

Chandler Limited REDD 47 - If you clicked on this, you probably know what the REDD 47 is. It is a painstaking clone of the preamps in the EMI desks used by The Beatles most famously at Abbey Road. The originals only had the voltage input and a fader. The lovely thing Chandler did was add some lovely features like the Fine Gain Set which allows you to dial in more of your Voltage Gain. Also the original Rumble Filter only went to 30hz. The Chandler Rumble Filter goes all the way up to 180hz and it also is inductor based so it can shape your tone in the high mids the farther up you turn it. It's a lovely feature but we left it flat for this demo.

BAE 1073MP - We've had a pair of these for a minute. They often win for vocals and are a great representation of the preamp part of the famous Neve 1073.

1977 API 3288 - We have one of 2 known 48 frame API consoles from the pre Datatronix/Huntington, NY era of API. The other is at RAK in London. Ours only has 40 inputs but we have the room for the last 8 as they were taken out at some point. This console was used at ABC in NY for broadcast we believe. It has extra Jensen transformers on the lines for isolation with broadcast. It adds a lot of color to the already very colorful API. We love our board!

How Did We Mic?
We used a lovely pair of Flea 12 mics. A solid representation of the C12 featuring the Tim Campbell capsule. We actually had a session last year and a client had rented a pair of original C12's. They returned the mics the second day of the session to stick with the Flea mics. They really do a thing! They live as our overheads usually unless someone wants Coles or M269's.

We mic'd the kit up Glynn Johns style equidistant from the snare. One of my favorite drum sounds. We figured this would give a better representation of the kit than standard L R overheads. The snare definitely shows its face more and so do the toms and kick drum.

This is on VIMEO and if you are listening with pro headphones or your monitors, you will be able to tell the differences. Even on my laptop with ATH-50's I can hear the differences. YouTube ruins audio, so we stuck it on video. I will try to upload the audio as well if you want to drag it into your DAW. We mult'd mic lines to the preamps and printed them as close as we could to each other gain wise and level wise. You may notice when the drums turn dirty the panning changes slightly. We experienced the distorted harmonics shifting the stereo image. It's a really cool way to hear sonically how things change with different setups!

The Kit
The floor tom is from my 1959 Ludwig Downbeat kit, the 26 is a 30's Ludwig marching kick, the rack is my 14X14 from my 67 Ludwig kit, the snare is a 6.5X14 reissue Ludwig Supraphonic, the hats are 70's black label 15in 602's like Bonham had. The crashes are vintage Paiste Giant Beats, the ride is a reissue 24 in 602.

This was recorded at Boulevard Recording in Hollywood, CA. This is the old Producer's Workshop. A classic room with lots of history! We are going to post acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass and vocal shootouts in the same manner if we can get them all up! Enjoy!

Last edited by Hamburg58; 5th June 2016 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: Vimeo Link not working
Old 5th June 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Here's the audio! 320mbps MP3's converted out of Pro Tools. If you want the 24-88.2 files I can do a DropBox.
Attached Files

DRUMS API 441 48.mp3 (7.98 MB, 7373 views)

DRUMS DIRTY API 441 24.mp3 (10.29 MB, 7171 views)

DRUMS DIRTY NEVE 441 24.mp3 (10.29 MB, 7222 views)

DRUMS DIRTY REDD 441 24.mp3 (10.29 MB, 7486 views)

DRUMS NEVE 441 48.mp3 (7.98 MB, 7201 views)

DRUMS REDD 441 24.mp3 (7.98 MB, 7327 views)

Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks for the fantastic shoot-out. Three very classic sounds. My first reaction is "Hello, Flea12's!" That part of the sound is consistently great across all 3 pre-amps. After that, it's really all about taste and style. All 3 are classics in clean and all 3 grind nicely. There is a "rightness" to the API sound on drums for me, just because I grew up on the west coast of the US, and it's the sound I instinctively expect. If I was doing more of a power-pop thing I would love to be able to use the REDD's. OTOH, the Neve's clearly pull the maximum Bonham out of that kit, and put the "Lude" in Ludwig.

All-in-all, wonderful sounds and a very clear comparison of some very classic electronics. Thanks!
Old 8th July 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
all sound great to me. I think I liked the BAE best on every example, although the REDD has a lot of great character especially when driven.
Old 9th July 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Great shootout... Thanks for sharing. BAE is faaaaat! My favorite of the bunch.
Old 9th July 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Those BAE 1073s...

My fav all around pre. Just sounds right to me.
Old 13th December 2016
Deleted 1846071
The BAE is just straight up burly. The API is not as meaty but it has a deft quickness to it. The REDD has really smooth highs, and there's a sort of rainbow colored, slightly syrupy finished quality to it that reminds me of the sound of Hello Goodbye, which is my favorite sounding record.

I'd go with the BAE here, but really curious to see how it stands against the REDD on other sources like piano, guitar, vocals.

Awesome shootout, thanks a lot for this. Hope to come check out your studio some day!
Old 7th February 2017
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Against the API it sounds like the Chandlers have a wider field. I am in love with that low mid width that seems to be a common element in the chandler line.
I noticed a very similar sound field change from another TG cassette/ API/ neve comparison running a track through a 8068, WHite API vintage desk and a pair of Cassettes.
Redistributing the energy from that narrow focus into a overall wider and fuller sound(subjective). GeeeeeeeZ, 4 of these as main tracking channels for my humble setup would not only be a game changer but highly increase a euphoric experience of making music. BamPow
Old 7th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY D โžก๏ธ
Against the API it sounds like the Chandlers have a wider field. I am in love with that low mid width that seems to be a common element in the chandler line.
I noticed a very similar sound field change from another TG cassette/ API/ neve comparison running a track through a 8068, WHite API vintage desk and a pair of Cassettes.
Redistributing the energy from that narrow focus into a overall wider and fuller sound(subjective). GeeeeeeeZ, 4 of these as main tracking channels for my humble setup would not only be a game changer but highly increase a euphoric experience of making music. BamPow
Yes it kinda breaks my heart that I have this beautiful API with 40 channels of amazing punchy preamp but these REDD's have such a unique 3d character to them, unlike anything. But that being said, I wouldn't trade my API for anything Except maybe a 40 channel redd desk !
Old 7th February 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 โžก๏ธ
Yes it kinda breaks my heart that I have this beautiful API with 40 channels of amazing punchy preamp but these REDD's have such a unique 3d character to them, unlike anything. But that being said, I wouldn't trade my API for anything Except maybe a 40 channel redd desk !

For reeeeelz. Don't be mistaken, 40 channels of API is the stuff dreams are made of, a slightly different dream but I love the sound of the vintage API stuff. Sounds so good.

Just throw a pair on the master buss and call it a day, done and done!

Last edited by JAY D; 7th February 2017 at 09:31 AM..
Old 31st March 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
1000 thanks for doing this

After two of my 500 pres didnโ€™t fit into a new 500 rack, Iโ€™m torn between ditching 500 series pres for bae 1073mpf or tube preamp like redd and coil. I do have some 500 compressors though...so that makes it a little harder.

Such a great comparison. Thanks again, Hamburg
๐Ÿ“ Reply