What do we do in this flooded market. - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do we do in this flooded market.
Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT ➡️
In the business of arts and entertainment, either you are a sponsored or commissioned artist or you're on your own as a starving artist.

Above everything else, you really do have to want it bad enough and be dedicated enough and sacrificial enough to develop a professional level of skill.

As a solo artist or group, then you have to work towards developing your small business.

You will not make much as you develop your repertoire and your performance
details in order to build a strong following.

Get involved locally, contribute to local charity & school music functions.
Play university towns. Hit the open mics. Play during parks and rec functions,
play clubs, but get your name out there.

Once you have a following, then between doors receipts and merchandizing,
you might actually eek out a survivable living, as long as the act holds together.

The entertainment industry requires an unusually difficult level of financial & personal sacrifice when compared to most other small upstart business ventures.

It also requires a very strong bond between principal members, because you are so dependent upon each other to keep things going.
People grow older, take on more and more responsibility in personal relationships, priorities change and a musician's life and variable income makes it very difficult to survive.
You may have years invested in developing an act and a following
and it can all fall apart in an instant.

You have to want it too much. Dust yourself off, pick yourself back up and try all over again.
Many people I know were dedicated and professional and still the business of the music business
poisoned them to the point of sheer disgust with the business of the music business.

Less that 1% of all registered releases in a year will sell more than 10,000
copies and that's from over 100,000++ releases per year.

You have to take the bull by the horns and make yourself known or disappear
into obscurity as just another starving artist.

Maybe a few hundred years from now, a few relics from these times will be accepted as fine art and make those who control the rights to your work a fortune.
ima say this bro, its not rocket science... i know too many people personally who have made a living from this art form for it to be anything other than God's timing... thats why for some it seems like a million years and for others its an overnight success and came fairly easy... Everyone has their own journey and everyone can make it is what I believe because I have seen nobody's turn into somebody's right in front of my eyes, they weren't exceptionally great or talented more than me or you.. just gotta work until you get the chance to show the world what you can do and when you get the shot, make the most of it because opportunities are rare... If all goes well you will have a lot more than you need to sustain a living
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by light ➡️
i personally know alot more successful black musicians than white... not to knock u bruh but **** the race card works both ways, play the game for what its worth... u can either make excuses and let them hold u back, or u can go hard... keep God first man thats the wildcard that helps you overcome all the BS in the way to make things happen for you that you could have never made happen yourself...

its not you who gets you famous anyway... honestly... you can't make people like you no matter how many shows you do or how much work you put in, even if someone puts you in the game whos already famous... no musician can truly control their success why do you think people make mega ultra hits and then 8 years in a row cant make a hit to save their life? u gotta just do u and not give a **** is what i say if people like u great, if not then dont worry about it and just keep movin, God works miracles thats why they always thank God when they get they awards...

btw about macklemore... he may not get love in seattle... not a lot of rappers get love in their hometown because thats where your biggest haters are sadly... honestly though, to me he sucks i couldn't even get through 1 minute of any of his popular songs... just not feelin his **** at all i know a lot of hipsters i hate that style... but whatever i just ignore him i dont let what everybodys jumpin up and down for bother me if i can... i like what i like and i let that influence me and what i dont like i try to ignore... so i pretty much ignore him and a lot of other rappers i dont like...
damn.

that might be the REALEST post i've read on this forum.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Honest, read the account of Aerosmith's touring history in the 70's
just to get an idea of how much work it takes to build a following.

List of Aerosmith concert tours - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alice Cooper told me they toured and recorded out of pocket for 7 years before
18 and School's Out made them an "overnight success".
Old 18th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyLe ForMatz ➡️
damn.

that might be the REALEST post i've read on this forum.
thanks bro real recognize real
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by light ➡️
after they were famous already... but before they were wishing they had a shot so bad...
and I would get famous if I threw you off the top of the sears tower. but that wouldn't make me any good. the major labels always had enough money and market saturation of the media to make anybody famous. all it takes is money to put your face on every magazine cover, on billboards, and to bulldoze your way into people's minds.

then the braindead masses think, "wow, he's famous, I better buy his ****".

it's lame stupid bull****. it pays to know how it works to not get suckered.

a lot of stuff is commercials masquerading as something else. and by the way, i'd never throw you off the sears tower because i'm a non-aggressionist and you might have other plans in life
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus ➡️
and I would get famous if I threw you off the top of the sears tower. but that wouldn't make me any good. the major labels always had enough money and market saturation of the media to make anybody famous. all it takes is money to put your face on every magazine cover, on billboards, and to bulldoze your way into people's minds.

a lot of stuff is commercials masquerading as something else. and by the way, i'd never throw you off the sears tower because i'm a non-aggressionist and you might have other plans in life
If all it took was money, and the labels had perfected a marketing scheme to make anybody famous, we'd have a lot more really great major label artists to talk about.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus ➡️

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…