Quantcast
If MP3's die out, whats next? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If MP3's die out, whats next?
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I can hear the difference between FLAC and MP3 if I have access to both versions. Usually the bass is fuller on FLAC and the cymbals and other treble instruments are more intelligeable. Also the stereo spread is deeper. I don't even like OGG anymore even though it can sound better than MP3.

FLAC and WavPack are the future. Reaper and FFmpeg derived softwares can already handle it. It's just mainstream followers holding everybody back.

RockBoxed media players can play Both FLAC and WavPack.
http://rockbox.com

Space isn't an issue. Most modern portable media players worth their weight can take in an SD card chip for expanded space.

Sure, you can't load up 10 times as much stuff because you're getting back the 10 times of quality that MP3 threw out with lossy encoding. But at least the file is about 50% smaller.

SD Cards and flash drives are cheap. Even hard drive space is cheap. Play music on a home computer with good speakers connected (such as studio monitors) and you can hear the difference. Stop listening on crappy earbuds and get some Audio Technicas and stop using your cellphone.

Live life, live a little and you'll hear the difference. Just because the folks at hydrogen audio say nobody can hear the difference doesnt mean it's so.

People can learn to hear sound quality.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Is it possible to make flac files 320kbps or something? I remember downloading a file that was like that....
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The only thing I could think that could kill MP3 long term is that the consumers rely more and more on streaming. That will be sonically fun as the bit rates are even worse than with current MP3s, 128kbps to 192kbps...
Old 16th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablo ➡️
Is it possible to make flac files 320kbps or something? I remember downloading a file that was like that....
I think a normal FLAC is like 700 kbps or something like that, not sure, but it's lossless so it's not the same thing as an MP3. I'm not really sure how to do the math. A stereo 16-bit WAV file is 1411 kbps. I think a typical FLAC is just half of that.

Also, FLAC's can be 24-bit. The main idea is that FLAC includes ALL of the audio, not just a 1/10th of it like MP3. Also MP3 does temporal quantization so you get artifacts like preverb and nonlinear amplitude quantization so you get bitcrushing effects too. And since the MS function is still primitive you get an inconsistent stereo width that competes with bass and dyanmics. It's like you can't have it all with MP3. Luckily FLAC is not like that at all.

WavPack is good for the 32-bit float stuff. Maybe that's what you were thinking of. WavPack can be distributed as lossy small files and then later on you can pick up a "correction file" and make it lossless again by combining them.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…