Quantcast
Why is it so hard to break in to the industry? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why is it so hard to break in to the industry?
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
wow, lots of solid advice. I really appreciate you all taking out the time to reply.

sorry, i dont know how to quote several users in one post, just one....so ill use your names instead.....

now, to address a few of you.

(The Aristocrat)- I can not begin to tell you how helpful your post was to me. very very good advice for someone like my self. i will begin to implement those ideas immediately.

(Ken Lewis)- solid advice also. That lecture sounds interesting, i will make sure to watch it.

(Steveswisher)- The answer to your question is a huge YES!. Music is literally my life. i eat it and breathe it. i sleep to it, wake up to it, shower to it. That is why in my original post i said id end up just having it as a hobby. I will never stop making music. music is my therapy and it has been for years. Ive always told people, if you really want to hurt me......Take away my music....and as cliche as it may sound, i am not in it for fame or even tons of money, dont even care if i continue to live in the house that i currently do, i just want my living to come from making music.

(Ryanc)- yes, you are correct in everything you said. It is not the ability to create functional tracks that matters. That, is exactly what i pride my self on, being me and only me. I get very creative when it comes to my music, i make music that sounds good, sounds different. its just hard to find artist (at least locally) that are willing to be creative. Only reason i have drake style beats (which honestly i only have like 3-4 of those) is because all these damn mofo's just want that trap bulls***. So i started making a few of them just to prove to myself that i can, and i did, very well, actually. i just feel trapped, i make all this music that i love and know lots of artist that will jump on them but trying to make my way up through local acts is difficult due to their need for just that same old trap s***.

thanks to all of you, lots of great advice! came here looking for something and found exactly what i wanted. you guys are great.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Also lots of vulchers in the industry. For example, I sent a batch of beats to a well known anr. They send it to French Montana. French Montana has his in house guy remake my **** (awfully I have to add). I've also had people just straight take my music and put their name on it. If your music is good, copyright it before it gets attention. It'll save you the learning experience I had. But this is just one aspect.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If you really spend the time perfecting your craft, and meeting/collaborating with other people face-to-face, and..

If you're music is really that good, and it makes people feel something, and makes them dance, and makes them feel a connection, then the industry will be flying to your place and kicking down your door to have the opportunity of working with you.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
It's not that hard at all if you don't suck. Problem is, there are a lot of people who suck, that do not believe they do.
Realest thing anyone ever said. Someone had to say it.

Put some years in
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
I think it's wrong to see it that way. Why is it so hard? Because you think it's hard. As soon as you'll think it's easy, you'll get better and eventually succeed. You need to change your frame of mind and work on your skills.

Why am I so ugly?

Why is life turning on me?

Why can't I date the hot girls?

Why can I never catch a break?

Because your mind sees it as an impossibility. Stop being so negative, you gotta say to yourself, I can do this! I will succeed! The people who don't think it's possible to succeed never do succeed, and then wonder why they don't. Maybe it's because you've failed the second you got out of bed this morning. Think about it. Don't be so negative, don't be afraid to fail, and do believe it is possible to succeed.

I like the Idea of this a lot.. BUT..

I know many, Many people who think they have it ALL in the bag.. They just Know that they will be successful in a matter of time.. in fact they know it so well.. that guess what.. nothing really ever happens for them.. Even where they do Improve.. it isn't in the right areas.. . .. sometimes you have to recognize your limitations so that you can work through them to achieve success
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpayne ➑️
I like the Idea of this a lot.. BUT..

I know many, Many people who think they have it ALL in the bag.. They just Know that they will be successful in a matter of time.. in fact they know it so well.. that guess what.. nothing really ever happens for them.. Even where they do Improve.. it isn't in the right areas.. . .. sometimes you have to recognize your limitations so that you can work through them to achieve success
They ain't working hard enough.
Sitting back and hoping and waiting isn't doing anything.
The time to act is this very moment while we are all wasting time on this very thread.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Its hard breaking into the upper echelon of ANYTHING. Some work hard and earn a degree... other push harder to earn their PHD ... while others barely graduate....and many don't.

It's all difficult... it's all hard, it doesn't matter where or what, and while admittedly the music industry has strange and somewhat archaic factors at play, the same governing rules apply. The amount of legends that will go down in history were rejected and ridiculed time and time again but they continued and pressed harder and went on to become stuff of legend.

It really is as simple as putting in the work. The 'work' just needs to be identified and attacked.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl ➑️
Its hard breaking into the upper echelon of ANYTHING. Some work hard and earn a degree... other push harder to earn their PHD ... while others barely graduate....and many don't.

It's all difficult... it's all hard, it doesn't matter where or what, and while admittedly the music industry has strange and somewhat archaic factors at play, the same governing rules apply. The amount of legends that will go down in history were rejected and ridiculed time and time again but they continued and pressed harder and went on to become stuff of legend.

It really is as simple as putting in the work. The 'work' just needs to be identified and attacked.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpert ➑️
Riiiight. You know something that most people don't know. Riiiiight.
There are many people who know but very few who tell. The game is to be sold not told. If one is making music for the sheer art then it would not matter about breaking into the industry. Get a job or a career and do music for the love of it. It's the ones that's desperate who gets their ass handed to them.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I work at a studio that is a home base for some big name producers, and we constantly get young producers trying to come in and do some co-production. There's a few do's and a few donts.

Don't hit people up via the comments section of their Instagram or Facebook or twitter.
Don't randomly add them on Facebook (and I'm just an engineer - please don't add me!!!)
Don't boast about how crazy your **** is and how every track you do is fire and a smash hit.

Do try and hang out at their studio somehow. Just hang, catch the vibe, let them get comfortable with you. This might mean night after night of sitting around til 5am, but you have to be patient and if yo are hungry for it, it will be a pleasure rather than a chore.
Do have all your tracks mixed to perfection. No unfinished work, no excuses as to why something doesn't sound polished. Be professional.
Do have multitracks/stems on hand just in case you need them. When playing tracks, have bounces. Don't look like a fool loading up session files on your laptop.
Be confident without being cocky.

Best thing you can do is get placements, starting on mixtapes. That and finding ONE young artist that blows you away, and developing a close working relationship with them. And really, people that want music are out there looking for it. Get your social media right and make it easy for them to find, and you'll get a shot eventually.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl ➑️

It's not even the idea of some get a better degree. Some get a degree and just get by. Others put 100% in and get 100% out, getting substantially better opportunities because they networked while getting a degree. Others put in 100% to their grades but never talked to anyone when they graduated.

I am not big but I have been able to get my foot in the door, make some money, etc. Sometimes it can be a bitch when you are not established because you have to weigh out everything. Do I get on this little dude's album with no budget who has a buzz or wait on that and give it to a better artist, etc.

I will say my own contribution to this thread. 90% of the people I talk to who are in the business of buying what I make are pretty honest with me, for good or for bad. They either see potential in your or don't. Some feel like paying you if they do feel potential, some feel that it isn't worth it to them to pay. Some want to keep contact, some don't. I am not saying that people are candid about how they feel, or it's obvious, I am saying that people who want to work will usually show interest, those who don't, don't. I am not working with the top level but most people let me know what they think of me, for good or for bad. I feel it's pretty simple on their side, on mine, I can get into panic mode if they are in between trying to prove myself. Sometimes you need to know when to pursue, sometimes you need to just revisit the situation later, or skip it.

Another thing is that we all try to chase the best we have access to. I can admit myself that I have put a lot of effort at point b when point a may be a better choice. I have people willing to work with me, for example, with no creditability but some cash. It took me some Bay Area cats to school me and just take the money, fame will come or not later but it's all business. I am not talking about the dude who lives next to me either, I am talking about some very successful people. Once I broke that mindset, I started getting those people.

At the end of the day, you have to play your cards to get anywhere. You may get by with a bad hand if you are good at talking, you may loose out if you aren't confident with your hand.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple ➑️
I work at a studio that is a home base for some big name producers, and we constantly get young producers trying to come in and do some co-production. There's a few do's and a few donts.

Don't hit people up via the comments section of their Instagram or Facebook or twitter.
Don't randomly add them on Facebook (and I'm just an engineer - please don't add me!!!)
Don't boast about how crazy your **** is and how every track you do is fire and a smash hit.

Do try and hang out at their studio somehow. Just hang, catch the vibe, let them get comfortable with you. This might mean night after night of sitting around til 5am, but you have to be patient and if yo are hungry for it, it will be a pleasure rather than a chore.
Do have all your tracks mixed to perfection. No unfinished work, no excuses as to why something doesn't sound polished. Be professional.
Do have multitracks/stems on hand just in case you need them. When playing tracks, have bounces. Don't look like a fool loading up session files on your laptop.
Be confident without being cocky.

Best thing you can do is get placements, starting on mixtapes. That and finding ONE young artist that blows you away, and developing a close working relationship with them. And really, people that want music are out there looking for it. Get your social media right and make it easy for them to find, and you'll get a shot eventually.
Listen to this dude.
Old 31st January 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T ➑️
There are many people who know but very few who tell. The game is to be sold not told. If one is making music for the sheer art then it would not matter about breaking into the industry. Get a job or a career and do music for the love of it. It's the ones that's desperate who gets their ass handed to them.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and I'm not convinced you do either.

I'm no "producer" in the industry, but I know an awful lot of them personally.

To the OP - ignore this cryptic "advice", there's no secret. It's a lot if hard work, a bit of talent and a bit if luck.

When you get the luck (and work hard enough and smart enough, and you will), you have to be in a position to take advantage of it - which is where the talent and hard work come in.

The truth is, most people are nowhere near as good or as original as they think. The successful ones are consistently good, even on an off day, and have the right blend of familiarity and originality to interest people.

And act professional at all times. Unbelievable how many people say how keen they are, then cancel last minute or don't follow through on their promises, or plain don't know how to communicate and keep others informed. That goes for all walks of life!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
I have no idea what you're talking about, and I'm not convinced you do either.

I'm no "producer" in the industry, but I know an awful lot of them personally.

To the OP - ignore this cryptic "advice", there's no secret. It's a lot if hard work, a bit of talent and a bit if luck.

When you get the luck (and work hard enough and smart enough, and you will), you have to be in a position to take advantage of it - which is where the talent and hard work come in.

The truth is, most people are nowhere near as good or as original as they think. The successful ones are consistently good, even on an off day, and have the right blend of familiarity and originality to interest people.

And act professional at all times. Unbelievable how many people say how keen they are, then cancel last minute or don't follow through on their promises, or plain don't know how to communicate and keep others informed. That goes for all walks of life!
I know people who have had experiences in the entertainment business especially music that is not fit to talk about on here. If you have not then that's cool. Why you quote me to say you don't know what I'm talking about is rude. We live two different lives and no two people will have the same life experiences. I have no reason to lie as I chose not to be a part of the industry for my reasons and as a responsible adult, I do not sugarcoat anything to win over the audience.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 ➑️
Realest thing anyone ever said. Someone had to say it.

Put some years in

Well, now I'm REALLY confused...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...er-spoken.html
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I know people who have had experiences in the entertainment business especially music that is not fit to talk about on here. If you have not then that's cool. Why you quote me to say you don't know what I'm talking about is rude. We live two different lives and no two people will have the same life experiences. I have no reason to lie as I chose not to be a part of the industry for my reasons and as a responsible adult, I do not sugarcoat anything to win over the audience.
You're talking like there's some major "secret" that those who are successful in the industry "know".

If you do - you can talk in general terms without dumping anyone in it. I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear.

Otherwise - maybe you do know people who've had these "experiences". I never said you didn't - like all industries, the music industry has it's shady side.

It's just not the norm. The guys I've met who've become successful producers haven't had to do anything untoward or buy their way in or anything. They're just guys with a bit of talent, a lot of hard work and were in the right place at the right time.

To return to the topic of the thread - "why is it so hard to break into the industry?" - it's NOT because of some top secret reason! At least....not for the vast majority.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
its a well known secret, if you dont agree to lick illuminati's balls @ Rosewell you wont make it as an artist. That s why I choosed not to be a star.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel ➑️
its a well known secret, if you dont agree to lick illuminati's balls @ Rosewell you wont make it as an artist. That s why I choosed not to be a star.
Licking balls isn't so bad after you do it a few times. The salt kinda numbs your tongue tho.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
luck
very few have it
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➑️
licking balls isn't so bad after you do it a few times. The salt kinda numbs your tongue tho.
..... ...... ...... ..... ...... ...... ...... ......
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Killing myself laughing...
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Im not gone go that far as Nahuel but I new a guy who thought he was the ish. I ain't gone lie, he could rap just as good if not better than T.I. freestyling. Well he had this meeting in ATL with this record mogul. When he got to the door the door man says, "If he ask you to sit on his lap, do whatever he tells you". Let's just say he jetted out the door. By the way, his father told me what happened. He would never say. This was several years back.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Management Consultant View

In ANY industry/endeavor/hobby.....there is ALWAYS room at the TOP....there will always be appetite for any person/product that is unique or of high quality....HOWEVER....it all depends on how you define success...(monetary, peer respect, legacy, acceptance, longevity, etc.).....what are your goals?....do you have a mentor?....do you have a PLAN or a STRATEGY?......it is HARD because it has VALUE...

...however, agree with all the posts about lack of suckage....very important
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Im not gone go that far as Nahuel but I new a guy who thought he was the ish. I ain't gone lie, he could rap just as good if not better than T.I. freestyling. Well he had this meeting in ATL with this record mogul. When he got to the door the door man says, "If he ask you to sit on his lap, do whatever he tells you". Let's just say he jetted out the door. By the way, his father told me what happened. He would never say. This was several years back.
T.I. can rap good? Some guy who raps better than T.I. sits on another guy's lap? Is that the dangerous underground world you were talking about?

hahaha. You don't know **** about ****.
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
Very true, it's similar in sport when a non-league team goes and gets a draw with a Premiership team . . . the non-leaguers get the draw because collectively they can play at their peak for one game a season, while the Premiership players can do it virtually every game.

...but back to the industry, I'm surprised no one's mentioned that you need to live in or have access to a major centre of music in your country as well!
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpert ➑️
T.I. can rap good? Some guy who raps better than T.I. sits on another guy's lap? Is that the dangerous underground world you were talking about?

hahaha. You don't know **** about ****.
The question is why you so upset. Were you the guy behind the door lol Besides, I make six figures a year so why do I need to lie especially to a bunch of kids who too lazy to get a real job.
Old 3rd February 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So there's one or more a+r guys who are perverts...there's plenty more who aren't! It's not " the secret" man, that's just one story.
Old 3rd February 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The question is why you so upset. Were you the guy behind the door lol Besides, I make six figures a year so why do I need to lie especially to a bunch of kids who too lazy to get a real job.
Because it makes you sound cooler on the internut? Besides, what do you know about anyone's employment status, or how lazy they are? Bit of an assumption don't you think?
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There you attacking me again. The other curses me lol and u quote me to redicule me. I love music and could easily be apart of the industry. If you cant see what industry has become I feel sorry for you and anybody else. It takes big money to make big money. If you dont have money abd is desperate, then this is the industry for you. They will play you like a new nintendo. I could of easily
proved my point but I wont give you the privileage of banning me because of talkin bout devil worship and freemasonry in this cult we call an industry
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There you attacking me again. The other curses me lol and u quote me to redicule me. I love music and could easily be apart of the industry. If you cant see what industry has become I feel sorry for you and anybody else. It takes big money to make big money. If you dont have money abd is desperate, then this is the industry for you. They will play you like a new nintendo. I could of easily
proved my point but I wont give you the privileage of banning me because of talkin bout devil worship and freemasonry in this cult we call an industry
You got a wild imagination friend.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…