Quantcast
I envy deadmau5 - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I envy deadmau5
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This thread wasn't about production.. it was about an old vintage sampler.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➡️
So every topic about an artist has to be a bunch of yesman?

Is that even fair to the artist?
I can't say that I really like any of deadmau5' newer stuff really, and I keep it at that. There is no reason for me to bitch about it. Deadmau5 did not make me buy his music, I don't have to listen to it. Same goes for dubstep, I do not like it at all, but if other people do like it, then great. It has nothing to do with me or anyone else that doesn't like it.

Then, this comes to mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➡️
Ha. The trolls in this thread are the same ones from the deadmau5 threads 2 years ago.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➡️
I can't say that I really like any of deadmau5' newer stuff really, and I keep it at that. There is no reason for me to bitch about it. Deadmau5 did not make me buy his music, I don't have to listen to it. Same goes for dubstep, I do not like it at all, but if other people do like it, then great. It has nothing to do with me or anyone else that doesn't like it.

Then, this comes to mind:
ha ha. The only thing that brings up more ire than Deadmau5 is Skrilly. I feel sorry for him. He seems like a nice guy too, but the level of loathing is really unwarranted, and frankly very immature.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ Success breeds hate.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Knows ➡️
That's the way the internet is headed I'm afraid. I don't advertise a load of trolling and offensive remarks for the sake of it but there should be debate, as futile as it is. If I was to say that Drake is the most innovative musician of the last decade, it is proper that it should be questioned by someone. As it is, there is a consensus that supports mediocrity (ergo 'you can't criticise Deadmau5 because he's sold x number of albums and you haven't') which is backed up by people on this board and the board's own rules:

“Slagging off” others in the industry, especially established veterans is forbidden. In addition, you are not permitted to “bash” (comment negatively) about any artist, producer, engineer, genre or musical style. We take a zero-tolerance stance on this. You may discuss music, positively and (politely) negatively in the ‘All About The Music’ subforum

So any criticism is ushered away into a sub forum, out of the view of non registered users. Criticism is good and necessary within reason because it promotes diversity. Established veterans should really be in a position to take it, especially if they are taking the piss with their output and living off their name. Labelling someone a hater is just dumbing down the debate and playing into the hands of the status quo. This is often a bad thing.
Hidden from google too, which keeps people from doing vanity searches and keyword notifications.

The thing i get sick of here is how people can have the same exact conversations 5000 times over. But hell i wouldnt sensor you guys for it. Put it in a subfourm sure, but not hide it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
lol wow this thread is full of so much fail i can't even believe it's still going on. from the butthurtness to the halfhearted apologies to the random arguments about nothing....ohhh but i did like this tidbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Knows ➡️
I can only surmise that many on Gearslutz respect commercial success at the expense of artistry and want to emulate those who achieve it.
lol, i feel like that sums up a lot of the bull**** on this forum right there. From the "how do I sound like pop-artist-X" threads, to the "artist-X just did something-Y!" trying to emulate their idols, well, I refuse to idolize people, especially when I don't even like their music.

I can't say only 14 year olds listen to deadmau5, **** I've got a 40 year old coworker who will shameless act like a 20 year old when talking about the guy. I don't intend to be the old guy at the party now nor ever, but I don't think there was ever an age I would have liked this music...

Just like some people will choose to always be mainstream, (cough cough a few people here who clearly ride the mainstream media train), there will also be others who will always be counter-culture....I guess that's just all something we'll have to deal with.

Yes, I don't like this guys music. I guess the only reason it bugs me is because of this: I'm always hearing about him because people know I'm into synths and electronic music and just assume I will be into him and proceed to tell me about how he has lots of synths and all that stuff "just like me" and so on and so forth....UGH! Please kill me now.

You know, before deadmau5 it was just whatever else was popular at the time, people would always talk to me about "trance" back in the day instead, which was seemingly whoever the most popular club artist of the day was.

Anyway, this whole thread is because I got annoyed because a friend told me about deadmau5's fairlight, then I came on GS and saw a thread about the same thing, and decided to troll the internet for some stress relieving fun. You guys, well, you guys just took it to another level. This should die now. Seriously.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What deadmau5 could do for his next trick is take a pic of the fairlight on one of these

haha

just strap it to the rear spoiler

80s on the go!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➡️
lol wow this thread is full of so much fail i can't even believe it's still going on. from the butthurtness to the halfhearted apologies to the random arguments about nothing....ohhh but i did like this tidbit

lol, i feel like that sums up a lot of the bull**** on this forum right there. From the "how do I sound like pop-artist-X" threads, to the "artist-X just did something-Y!" trying to emulate their idols, well, I refuse to idolize people, especially when I don't even like their music.

I can't say only 14 year olds listen to deadmau5, **** I've got a 40 year old coworker who will shameless act like a 20 year old when talking about the guy. I don't intend to be the old guy at the party now nor ever, but I don't think there was ever an age I would have liked this music...

Just like some people will choose to always be mainstream, (cough cough a few people here who clearly ride the mainstream media train), there will also be others who will always be counter-culture....I guess that's just all something we'll have to deal with.

Yes, I don't like this guys music. I guess the only reason it bugs me is because of this: I'm always hearing about him because people know I'm into synths and electronic music and just assume I will be into him and proceed to tell me about how he has lots of synths and all that stuff "just like me" and so on and so forth....UGH! Please kill me now.

You know, before deadmau5 it was just whatever else was popular at the time, people would always talk to me about "trance" back in the day instead, which was seemingly whoever the most popular club artist of the day was.

Anyway, this whole thread is because I got annoyed because a friend told me about deadmau5's fairlight, then I came on GS and saw a thread about the same thing, and decided to troll the internet for some stress relieving fun. You guys, well, you guys just took it to another level. This should die now. Seriously.
Congratulations, you have made yourself part of the problem. This conversation was already dead. Thanks for reviving it with your useless complaining.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@Xero i get that with moog all the time. I have nothing against him or the company, bit i get tired of is it a moog? Do you have one? Am i wearing fake black glasses and flannel? no..

Thats the issue though, isnt it. Its abput brand awareness. Moog deadmaus... coke pepsi. Who cates if you hear it or drink it. Its the label that matters.

I hate to say it but that's s never really happened in music. Sure people have allqays identified with music, but now it has nothing to do with musi like how seeing tom cruise or johnny depp in a movie has nothing to do with acting.

Its new to us and were finding it hurtful.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrosonus ➡️
@Xero i get that with moog all the time. I have nothing against him or the company, bit i get tired of is it a moog? Do you have one? Am i wearing fake black glasses and flannel? no..

Thats the issue though, isnt it. Its abput brand awareness. Moog deadmaus... coke pepsi. Who cates if you hear it or drink it. Its the label that matters.

I hate to say it but that's s never really happened in music. Sure people have allqays identified with music, but now it has nothing to do with musi like how seeing tom cruise or johnny depp in a movie has nothing to do with acting.

Its new to us and were finding it hurtful.
lol, I've gotten this with moog too, "do you have a moog?" etc, but, it's never bothered me quite as much because I don't actually hate moog or anything. However, the only moog I've got right now is a minimoog filter clone that I built and a clone of the mixer from the old moog modular that both live in my modular synth. I sold my prodigy a while ago. They get that long drawn out answer if they ask.

I think you might be hitting on something with the "music as a label" idea, I don't think it's new, I think people have always probably done it to some degree, but I think when it comes at the sacrifice of quality then things start to get really bad.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dont hate moog either. I mean, I'm not really crazy about the current direction of the company and I think they are milking the name a bit since Bob passed. But it's just the perception that what I do, to some people, can be minimized to a simple association with a brand.

Most people in a causal sense don't mean it that way, that just want to talk to me about something I'm into the best they can. I also get the "oh then you must like deadmau / skirllex" thing. And it just gets old after a while.

But I think the problem is, we're seeing people apply social rules to something that used to be governed by a different set of principals. Sure there was tiesto and "hand bag", but most electronic music for much of time has existed sort of back and to the left of everything else and most people that were there, wanted to be there by choice. So for many years it was a really open minded, kinda of intellectual place where people were happy to share and learn.

But now, you're having the kind of people who would back in my day be listening to winger and driving a mustang with a six pack in the trunk to an abandoned parking lot somewhere to slam a few brews who are now calling themselves nerds, indie and all this other sorts of stuff.

It was never cool in my day to like doctor who or listen to vangelis. And as an adult now, you hear younger people talking about the kinds of things you used to like and naturally I want to tell them about the history of it, help out and so on and instead of actually being interested in something or learning about it, they just want to post pictures of their crap they bought and get credit for being a nerd and so on.

And generally, any honest attempt to share anything with this people is met with cynicism and aggression. I don't want to get off on a tangent, but I've seen photos of girls dressed up as daleks and stuff at doctor who conventions and they look like they're miserable. Maybe that's part of their "schwag", but I'd think if they were so unhappy they'd find something they like better to do.

And to tell the truth, I find it offensive and hurtful. But the truth is they're just locusts that will move on when someone else tells them what the new cool thing to do is. And in the meantime I've just had to shut my mouth and turn off my ears.

Yea it sucks, but im old and i like it because it means I don't have my head up my ass :lol
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i have observed that sometimes the more complex and nuanced one area of life is, the more simple and easier to digest another area has to be.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…