Quantcast
I envy deadmau5 - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I envy deadmau5
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Most of his stuff now sucks, his early stuff was pretty cool, like Faxing Berlin, you can't argue thats one of the best prog house songs out there, I remember is awesome too. Even sounds in his new stuff are rad but most of his stuff overall is a tired push for popularity. Maybe he's doing this for a reason we won't know yet.

Either way bash who you want, after all music is a competition right?............W$#$kers
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The guy admitted that his music was not that good and there were people before him doing that style way better.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnulty ➡️
Most of his stuff now sucks, his early stuff was pretty cool, like Faxing Berlin, you can't argue thats one of the best prog house songs out there, I remember is awesome too. Even sounds in his new stuff are rad but most of his stuff overall is a tired push for popularity. Maybe he's doing this for a reason we won't know yet.

Either way bash who you want, after all music is a competition right?............W$#$kers
Maybe you will change your mind if you watch this.

Deadmau5 - Meowingtons Hax 2K11 - YouTube

I don't know of any other modern and popular electronic musician who plays all his own stuff live at this level. That is a tight show. He does his own thing, and doesn't cater to the masses. That's why some people love him and others hate him. I have soooo much more respect for him than about 95% of anyone on Beatport. He knows and loves his gear too. He's brilliant.

People will beg to differ, but most of the ones who do, have nothing better to offer, and are experts only at arm chair insults.
Deleted 8456dd3
Hahaa brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️

Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➡️
of this poser? Heh, that's why he has the new one and not the vintage one. 80's my ass, deadmau5 ain't got a single track that sounds like anything from the era of the fairlight.

I'm sure it'll sit next to his modcans and buchlas with no patch cords plugged into them, lol...
Does it ever occur to people that Deadmau5 and many other producers don't actually like the music they release, they just do it because they know that that is where the money is at and while alone in the studio with these lovely pieces of gear they produce the music they really like just for themselves or a few close friends??
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
He's the real deal. In 10 years when all the hate is dust, he'll still be making some killer tracks, some excellent music. I respect his melodic and harmonic chops, not just his beats/production skills. To all the haters, put up or shut up: what have you composed lately? And respect to him for his support of hardware developers.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa ➡️
He's the real deal. In 10 years when all the hate is dust, he'll still be making some killer tracks, some excellent music. I respect his melodic and harmonic chops, not just his beats/production skills. To all the haters, put up or shut up: what have you composed lately? And respect to him for his support of hardware developers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up ➡️
Uh, how about giving the money to charity instead?

Or how about donating musical instruments to schools if you love music?

Youth music is really hurting these days. You could buy a few used pianos, some band instruments, and some good, reliable synths for schools with that kind of dough.
Why is it that some people are so quick to spend other people's money on their own pet causes?

Besides, it's not like money evaporates when spent. It just changes hands.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculus ➡️
Does it ever occur to people that Deadmau5 and many other producers don't actually like the music they release, they just do it because they know that that is where the money is at and while alone in the studio with these lovely pieces of gear they produce the music they really like just for themselves or a few close friends??
As an engineer I do this all the time. It's rare I get to work with artists whose music I actually like. Most of the time it's just part of the job trying to feed my kids.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➡️
As an engineer I do this all the time. It's rare I get to work with artists whose music I actually like. Most of the time it's just part of the job trying to feed my kids.
Exactly, its a practical business decision. I'm a classical guitarist and I love all forms of electronic music, I love producing synth pop or whatever people call it but I live in Puerto Rico and there really isn't a market for synth pop or classical music here so I have to produce and mix the music I utterly despise the most and thats reggaeton but if it werent for reggaeton I'd probably be homeless right now
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➡️
I can understand people bashing his music, but c'mon why so much hate? why so harsh words?

It's like he is not even a human being.
He isn't, he turned himself into a mouse, and mice don't have feelings.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Here my problem with the Deadmau5 situation, feel free to agree or disagree:

He gets a hell of a lot of respect and attention on a forum that I initially thought catered for people with a deep interest in electronic music. I would have thought that people with such an interest would have progressed their listening past something that a clueless 14 year old kid would get into. I can only surmise that many on Gearslutz respect commercial success at the expense of artistry and want to emulate those who achieve it.

As an electronic musician he is extremely lacking in his use of sound, the aesthetics he uses are bland and often grating. With such an array of equipment at his disposal this is surely down to the fact that he is seeking commercial success above anything else. His music (including drums) sounds like it was produced using presets on soft synths. Nothing wrong with this, but he chooses bland sounds. I don't hate him, I just understand he is chasing $. What I don't understand is why a music enthusiast would be into it.

I'm not a hater and find it alarming that a forum, a forum for ****'s sake, has rules that silent dissent or disagreement that something is 'the ****'. There is loads of great electronic music out there by producers such as Lone, Nathan Fake, Robert Hood, Flying Lotus (he is the ****), Legowelt, etc. Deadmau5 is nowhere near these names but he isn't trying to be. He's appealing to the 14 year olds who listen to what they are told to listen to by a marketing company.

I want to finish this post on a positive note by promoting a guy who I recently found and think produces some really great stuff. He's also called maus, but his creativity isn't dead:

John Maus' We Must Become The Pitiless Censors Of Ourselves - YouTube
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm 50, and he appeals to me, so so much for your theory about how his fan base is only made up of 14 year-olds. Your black or white attitude is very sad. Just because you don't like/respect an artist does not mean that you should make fellow forum members feel like they lack a 'refined interest'. FWIW, I have heard a ton of electronic music that could be considered experimental way-out-there, and very commercial, and there's good and bad in both. Flying Lotus and Deadmau5 are both amazing artists in their own way. And BTW, sounds in and of themselves don't suck - it's what one does with them that can make them suck (though I really hate that childish, lazy term). And this idea that Joel Z. is just chasing money is such bull. I suppose you haven't noticed that all he ever seems to want to do with his time is make more music, right?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Knows ➡️
I can only surmise that many on Gearslutz respect commercial success at the expense of artistry and want to emulate those who achieve it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
He gets a hell of a lot of respect and attention on a forum that I initially thought catered for people with a deep interest in electronic music. I would have thought that people with such an interest would have progressed their listening past something that a clueless 14 year old kid would get into. I can only surmise that many on Gearslutz respect commercial success at the expense of artistry and want to emulate those who achieve it.
Oh look, elitism on gearslutz. Never seen that before.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm 50
Sorry I touched a nerve.

Quote:
he appeals to me, so so much for your theory about how his fan base is only made up of 14 year-olds
That's not my theory. Your emotions were running too high and you didn't properly understand what I wrote. I said it's the kind of music a clueless 14 year-old would like and seems designed to appeal to that demographic. It has little aesthetic merit and no groove. In my lofty, educated and refined opinion of course, my dear sir.

Quote:
Just because you don't like/respect an artist does not mean that you should make fellow forum members feel like they lack a 'refined interest'
It's a forum, within reason I should be allowed to say what I like.

Quote:
And BTW, sounds in and of themselves don't suck - it's what one does with them that can make them suck (though I really hate that childish, lazy term).
If it's all the same to you I never want to hear a fork squeaking on a plate again. Or a pan pipe committed to record. Sounds can have intrinsically nasty characteristics to individuals but that's not the issue with the Mau5 per se, it is more that his sound world is bland. I would argue that bland music can be transformed through timbre and aesthetic.

Quote:
And this idea that Joel Z. is just chasing money is such bull
Why then has the man never taken a musical risk in his life? To be fair, this could be down to the fact that his taste is as bad as that of his fans. Probably explains that green blob on his neck too.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➡️
Oh look, elitism on gearslutz. Never seen that before.
It may be elitist but at least I'm not trying to silence the voice of those who like him. Unlike the attitude of people who follow the way of the Mau5, backed up by the mods. I don't understand why they are trying to create a world where everybody is seen to be positive about the Mau5, Skrillex, SHM etc. It's some 1984 **** and it's wrong.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm 50, and he appeals to me, so so much for your theory about how his fan base is only made up of 14 year-olds. Your black or white attitude is very sad.
No offense.. but the information age has breed a lot of "born agains" .. Middle age people re-discovering their youth.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Love Maus... played a show with him once in my basement.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➡️
No offense.. but the information age has breed a lot of "born agains" .. Middle age people re-discovering their youth.
Sorry, but you don't know me. I never stopped being curious and open about new music. I'm not a born-again. I fell in love with electronic music in the early 80s and have not stopped being in love with it since. Such presumption is just plain dumb and classless.

And FWIW, born-agains have been around since the beginning of time - nothing to do with this time in particular, I'm afraid.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
maybe you missed the 90's and rave culture.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No offense but I'm going to offend you anyway.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It may be elitist but at least I'm not trying to silence the voice of those who like him. Unlike the attitude of people who follow the way of the Mau5, backed up by the mods. I don't understand why they are trying to create a world where everybody is seen to be positive about the Mau5, Skrillex, SHM etc. It's some 1984 **** and it's wrong.
It's one thing to not like a particular music act/genre/etc. It's another to disparage those who do like it. There's a difference.

Personally, I'm not a fan of deadmau5 either, but I'm not going to look down my nose at those who are. And I'm certainly not going to look down my nose at someone who has made music that a lot of people enjoy and became very successful because of it.

Last edited by shponglefan; 29th January 2013 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: me grammar not good
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
maybe you missed the 90's and rave culture.
Now you're just trolling. Welcome to my ignore list.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➡️
No offense but I'm going to offend you anyway.
just throwing it out there to see what sticks. Not claiming anything... but internet psychology isn't really brain science...

Kinda sad I have to go on ignore.. but other than hearing about his love of his SH-5.. there's not much to be learned there.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry I touched a nerve.

That's not my theory. Your emotions were running too high and you didn't properly understand what I wrote. I said it's the kind of music a clueless 14 year-old would like. It has no aesthetic merit and no groove. In my lofty, educated and refined opinion of course, my dear sir.

It's a forum, within reason I should be allowed to say what I like.

If it's all the same to you I never want to hear a fork squeaking on a plate again. Or a pan pipe committed to record. Sounds can have intrinsically nasty characteristics to individuals but that's not the issue with the Mau5 per se, it is more that his sound world is bland. I would argue that bland music can be transformed through timbre and aesthetic.

Why then has the man never taken a musical risk in his life? To be fair, this could be down to the fact that his taste is as bad as that of his fans. Probably explains that green blob on his neck too.
I don't know what your tastes in music are, but I can assure you that I would never be such a moron as to state that your taste is inferior to someone else's. It's music.

The only reason that you feel entitlted to put him down, and not some random dude on soundcloud, is that he is an easy target, and that makes you a jealous bitter coward.
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's because **** heads like you are so ****ing noisy and annoying. Go vent your lack of accomplishments somewhere else, because that is what this is really all about. Hating on others, because you haven't done **** with your life. Ok, now go ahead and list off all the great things you have done, or just go away.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Always with the jealously card with the fanboys... what are we jealous of?
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you've demonstrated that you are ageist. Do you have a problem with other races too? Your ignorance would lead me to believe so.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…