Quantcast
I guess Auto-Tune doesn't seem so bad after all... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I guess Auto-Tune doesn't seem so bad after all...
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I guess Auto-Tune doesn't seem so bad after all...

Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Eh, it wasn't that bad. I've heard far worse live vocal performances.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I liked that more than the annoying record that I can't turn off fast enough. So, no...it's still bad.

I sometimes wonder if all this silly vocal tuning isn't ruining the appreciation of the human voice as an instrument.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pretty decent for live, just sh!t sound / balance (vox is waaaay too loud over track) -

Mixed properly this would sound good.

We're just all so used to hearing everything perfectly in tune that a 'real' vocal seems out!
Old 28th January 2013
kdp
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey hey oh hey oh hey hey oh hey oh hey hey oh oh oh hey oh hey hey oh oh hey & Oooooooooooh.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
jeez, tough crowd..
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Pretty soon we'll have vocal implants! Becky " Since i spent all this money on plastic surgery trying to look like Britney i might as well get the new vocal implants and sound like her too"! Kim " OMG your so getting all the Hot guys on karaoke Saturdays"!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Mix is not great, and he had a hard time with the highest notes, but other than that a pretty good performance IMHO. I am not a big Train fan, but give them some credit. I would much rather watch and listen to this than the typical auto-tuned, lip synced, soulless crap that has become so common.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Sound is tough at these halftime events. I think he did pretty good considering.

No excuse for this though:

not sure if embed is working, here's the link http://youtu.be/Ffey9tRmagg
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I didn't watch the whole thing, cause...again, with the "not a fan"...but, wow...no, her voice sounded better there than any record I've ever heard. Sure--it's shaky. There's nothing "great singer" about it--but, was there with Carole King? Kinda misses the point.

There, she sounded like a young songwriter woman struggling to carry a tune. On the record, she sounds like a lousy singer. That's not semantics. Autotune does her no favors.

My ear is fine with people who aren't world class Whitney meets Steve Perry meets Luther meets Daryl Hall vocalists. My ear is NOT fine with those people once they're digitally manipulated into...here's the thing--it's not GOOD...you don't make Taylor a GOOD or GREAT singer by tuning her and automating EQs and riding the fader into the limiter and basically sticking your engineer hand up her backside and YOU singing through her. That just always ends badly.

I'm ready for the backlash. Maybe she has the clout now...and shows like that they're sort of putting toes in the water. I hope she finds a producer that allows her to be Taylor. If that means 10 of her 50 million fans leave--happier to be lied to...someone will provide that...wouldn't you rather have 40 million who actually DO love YOU?

eh...where's my geritol?
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So as not to totally hijack this thread, I think every "pro" studio should have tuning hardware or software. It's just the the way things are.

Back to Taylor Swift. This struck me this weekend because she's my daughter's favorite singer (she's 3 y/o) and I was watching some vids along with her.

Check this out, especially compared to the X-Factor clip above. I think she's lip syncing here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQuY8kERaU0
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff ➑️
Pretty decent for live, just sh!t sound / balance (vox is waaaay too loud over track) -

Mixed properly this would sound good.

We're just all so used to hearing everything perfectly in tune that a 'real' vocal seems out!
Keep in mind the "mix" you're hearing is some dude videotaping his television.

Listening back, I really don't think this is that bad, either. It's more just that all the high notes are just on the cusp of being out of his range as a singer. Maybe he can hit 'em in the studio on a good day with infinite takes, but not in a one-off performance at the Pro Bowl.

All in all: no, this is not that bad. It still makes me cringe, though. He's trying so hard. Anywho, my apologies for putting this in the wrong section; thanks to the mods for moving it.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…