Quantcast
You can't please all of the people all of the time... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
You can't please all of the people all of the time...
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks, that sounded wise
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➡️
So, I didn't really need encouragement to move out of my comfort zone, discussions on the "soul" of a song (because I've managed to comfortably capture the soul of this one) or anything else really, what I'm after is nice, friendly advice on how I can stop this girl's negative review spiralling around in my head, how I can build myself up to believe in myself enough that when this happens it doesn't affect me.

Any advice would be appreciated
If I might add my thoughts without sounding too negative I personally feel you took part of the soul of that song away by replacing dirty with polished. Why you grew as a producer the song did not grow with you unfortunately.

You might should had left the song out of the record and put it into another content or you could have done a brighter, happy half and a darker, dirty half. Nevertheless, at the end you did what you wanted to do as an artist. Not everybody is sharing your opinion though.

Prince once said that all his No. 1 hits were written for the record company and he is not very proud of them. Me on the other hand - call it mainstream - just love his classics. As an Artist he did something that he felt was not his best work and still it was received as his best. So, there could be a difference how you and the "fans" feel about your music.

So, it comes down to do what you think is the best or what makes you most successful. If fans or anybody comes with criticism, than it would be wise to listen rather to feel pissed about the negativity. The question is: did anybody tell you they like the second version better? Maybe it is time to think popular and mainstream rather artistic or electronically sound?

Just my 2 cents.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks, that sounded wise
You´re mostly welcome. It´s what I do for a living
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think, commercial or not, I have to please myself first, and I much prefer the new version, so, as heyclown said, I should grow a shell and stop caring what others think as much. I guess at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter as 90% of people I played it to had a reaction like my girlfriends, she loved the old one, and loves the new one just as much and new fans will come to hear this new version as the original anyway.

Thanks for all the help guys, I mainly need to believe in what I'm doing, know that I'm a good writer and ignore criticism that's too negative, for taking that on board too much is draining and a complete opposite of believing in what you're doing = non productive.

And I mean, even Trent reznor gets panned every now and then
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You did the right thing, you stopped responding. My friend has a valid point about such things... you don't stick your dick in the crazy.

Aside from that, I've been there. And there's not much I can say about it other than you just need to learn to toughen up. But, the good news is you recognized you're sensitive and you stopped communication with the person. Absolutely the two best things to do to start off with.

So for my real advice, it'd be to recognize that you're just reacting. Reacting to something that was surprising and hurtful; that's all. You haven't been hurt because you're a bad person or that you did something wrong or that your music is worthless. Instead, you're just reacting to something that was surprising and hurtful. If you visualize that way, it will help you get over it and to move on.

Just highlight what you're in control over: you. You don't like the way people talk to you, find new people to talk to. You don't like your girlfriend, get a new one. Just be honest (to yourself) about yourself and your flaws and keep it in perspective and strive to be better and Im sure things will eventually get better for you.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sorry if that was late. :/ better late than never.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Set up a soundcloud and do it
Hard to track down some stuff because my external HD took a giant turd. Have to get in touch with ex-bandmates to find a lot of gems.

BUT... I forgot that ages ago I made a fake "SoundClick" account with some random junk. My favorite track is "IFMR" ... made with junk... DDD-1 in there. I always giggle at the little "fanfare" at the end.. ala Final Fantasy. I'm also quite proud of the melody in the chorus.. a certain sentiment I don't hear in other peoples music. I always thought it had a country vibe for some odd reason... like Tammy Wynette could sing it.

SoundClick artist: The Purple Canoe's - page with MP3 music downloads
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➡️
Hard to track down some stuff because my external HD took a giant turd. Have to get in touch with ex-bandmates to find a lot of gems.

BUT... I forgot that ages ago I made a fake "SoundClick" account with some random junk. My favorite track is "IFMR" ... made with junk... DDD-1 in there. I always giggle at the little "fanfare" at the end.. ala Final Fantasy. I'm also quite proud of the melody in the chorus.. a certain sentiment I don't hear in other peoples music. I always thought it had a country vibe for some odd reason... like Tammy Wynette could sing it.

SoundClick artist: The Purple Canoe's - page with MP3 music downloads
I'm liking this When my album is done, can i send you a copy to see what you think
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
new song is way better! nice. had to be done man. *pats on back*

if she contacts you again ask her to come to your live show and throw her undies at you in disgust. that will "learn" you!
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
She's a pretty big lass, i reckon those undies would suffocate me XD
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…