Quantcast
Does anyone find it odd that nobody in this section cares about NAMM? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does anyone find it odd that nobody in this section cares about NAMM?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I care a little, out of curiosity. If I could afford the stuff I'd care more.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
personally... i was looking forward to NAMM... but in theory there is nothing new or ground breaking (imo)... just some repackaged stuff i.e. m-audio, novation, korg, roland, akai, etc... apps for the iphone, ipad, etc... nothing ground breaking... it appears there a quite a few products for live performance... but those seem to be repackaging too... not sure... not a live performer... just appears that way...

most music makers have controllers already... why look into a new one when the current one works fine... no new innovative software... i.e. going from atmosphere to omnisphere and trilogy to trillian...

it appears that the economics environment on part of the consumers and developers has been scaled back... consumers are not spending... therefore no need for developers to develop...

sad but true!!!

one thing good about this... now... hopefully... individuals will put more time into the "actual" music instead of... searching for the latest and greatest!!! i.e. if you controller does the job... why would one need a new one!!!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Swear to GOD I just opened the app to check and see if there was any news from NAMM. The only thing that's really piqued my interest so far is the Numark ns7 MK II. Looks beastly...
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan ➑️
I dont wanna hear about it...Im gear celibate this year :(
Hahahahaha me too! I raged on gear last year lol. Still paying for some of it lmao
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yo! I'm interested in and following NAMM!

Did you see what happened to the New MOOG thread in here a couple weeks back? I mean.. MOOG basslines are huge and some of the phattest (yes PH), thickest and sweetest out and have been used in hip hop uncountable times.. but that thread turned into a disaster.

I have not seen anything at NAMM so far that is worth going through that BS again.

On a personal note. Ibanez has re-released an updated version on the original 1991 Green Dot 7-String Universe which is ill! (mainly because of nostalgia).

Anyway.....
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I just think a lot of virtual gear is just variations on the same themes. I don't get excited about stuff like NAMM because there hasn't been a piece of gear that's wowed me since Melodyne DNA. Otherwise, it's all kinda "meh".
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think someone else pointed it out, I follow the gear, but a lot of pieces I have nothing to say until they are released. Ableton Push is number one what I want to try right now, but without being able to use one myself it's pretty hard for me to discuss it. Wanna see how it compares to the MPCs or Maschines I have owned. I think that the hiphop people of these days are either stuck on old outboard gear or ONLY in the box. None of the gear is really exciting for either crowd; and it seems the in the box crowd only is concerned with new DAWs or updates to current ones. A lot of the people in this section make beats and could care less about the new 500 series preamps and channel strips.

For the record the new Kemper rack is one of my favorite new pieces of gear, although not very hiphop related.

Also very anxious to learn more about the new Aphex Microphone X
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
why would broke kids go to such events? If I wanna discuss/read about gear I move to the High End section.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

For the record the new Kemper rack is one of my favorite new pieces of gear, although not very hiphop related.
Hellll yes... uses aplenty regardless of genre.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl ➑️

Did you see what happened to the New MOOG thread in here a couple weeks back? I mean.. MOOG basslines are huge and some of the phattest (yes PH), thickest and sweetest out and have been used in hip hop uncountable times.. but that thread turned into a disaster.
That was just one user who I believe never had touched analog synths..
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Error
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used to frequent/care about NAMM a few years back especially when i worked audio retail. It wasn't mandatory but it was somewhat helpful and very good for networking with all the vendors but overall it was alright. It kind of got to the point where nothing was truly exciting. Maybe, that will change?
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
We could declare this a "NAMM FREE ZONE"

lol but how could you not love the Prophet 12. We need more Prophet 12 in this section lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Mind ➑️
Swear to GOD I just opened the app to check and see if there was any news from NAMM. The only thing that's really piqued my interest so far is the Numark ns7 MK II. Looks beastly...
isn't that the 4 deck cdj controller? I remember looking over it briefly but I haven't dj'd in years. I am sure I will be too rusty.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl ➑️

I have not seen anything at NAMM so far that is worth going through that BS again.

On a personal note. Ibanez has re-released an updated version on the original 1991 Green Dot 7-String Universe which is ill! (mainly because of nostalgia).

Anyway.....
What's unique about the guitar? I am not a guitar player though I did try a few years back and decided it wasn't for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 ➑️
I think someone else pointed it out, I follow the gear, but a lot of pieces I have nothing to say until they are released. Ableton Push is number one what I want to try right now, but without being able to use one myself it's pretty hard for me to discuss it. Wanna see how it compares to the MPCs or Maschines I have owned. I think that the hiphop people of these days are either stuck on old outboard gear or ONLY in the box. None of the gear is really exciting for either crowd; and it seems the in the box crowd only is concerned with new DAWs or updates to current ones. A lot of the people in this section make beats and could care less about the new 500 series preamps and channel strips.

Also very anxious to learn more about the new Aphex Microphone X
Those are some good assessments that I never thought about
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I always wanted to go. But I figure if I spent all that doe to get there, I probally wouldn't be able to afford to buy the gear when it's released. One day tho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F Major ➑️
I agree with you Kev, for this to be "Gearslutz" it seems that no one cares about new gear in this forum.

I went to NAMM yesterday, it was a bit underwhelming compared to previous years, but that has been the trend for years now.
You see where I am coming from. I am not saying the music is unimportant I am saying gear is interesting at least it is to me. Just like freaking synths is interesting to me which is probably why I am excited about the King Korg and Prophet 12. I probably won't buy either but they are new and interesting for me. I do agree that very few companies are innovating anymore though. The last truly innovative production tool I can think of was the MK1 Maschine.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
A couple of the most successful hip-hop producers I know just use one mic, one pre, and plug-ins.

They do spend lots of time at networking events though.

"5 racks on champaign" and all that

Not my thing, but to each his own.

Sent from my Droid
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With the resurgence in analog synths, analog filters* on a new keyboard sampler would be nice. ****, the techno heads get their retro fix, why not us?

(* - honestly, this would be the only reason I'd remotely consider sampling outside the box these days. Something you can't actually put in it.)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest ➑️
What's unique about the guitar? I am not a guitar player though I did try a few years back and decided it wasn't for me.
Nothing really, it's just basically (although not officially) a reissue of one of the original 7 String Universes from around 23 years ago... before 7 strings were cool lol. The Green Dot is still highly sought after.

Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
isn't that the 4 deck cdj controller? I remember looking over it briefly but I haven't dj'd in years. I am sure I will be too rusty.
Naw it's the newer version of the ns7-a serato Dj (formerly itch) midi controller. Remember the "mpc DJ" from NAMM Last year? Its basically that. Ns7 vinyl platters with 8 "mpc pads" on each deck. Also a DJ mixer with 2 line ins for cdj's, tt's etc. It looks mean as sh!t.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone find it odd that nobody in this section cares about NAMM?-imageuploadedbygearslutz1359164369.172259.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Mind ➑️
Naw it's the newer version of the ns7-a serato Dj (formerly itch) midi controller. Remember the "mpc DJ" from NAMM Last year? Its basically that. Ns7 vinyl platters with 8 "mpc pads" on each deck. Also a DJ mixer with 2 line ins for cdj's, tt's etc. It looks mean as sh!t.
It's more of a response to the Vestax 380 and Pioneer DDJ SX then the MPC DJ they showed last year. It's a bummer too cause I was hoping the MPC DJ would come out. I would have bought one the day it released; my producer would have loved it. I think I know why it didn't; it's not a hardware production problem, it's a software problem. Akai can build anything, but they make some of the worst software ever for their products, which often cripple them. The MPC 1000 software was so bad you had to buy JJOS just to use it. The Renaissance came out which I was excited about as it took cues from my favorite MPC, the 2500 and brought it to computer processing power. The poor software and experience I've had with Akai made me avoid it. I assume as soon as Traktor/Maschine software become more seamless, is the day we will see a product like the MPC DJ release. Native Instruments has proven they make good hardware though, so at that point they might not be down to share with Numark/Akai. Look at their new Z2 DJ Mixer. They have solid resources for production hardware now too; and make the best graphic interfaces out there IMO. I actually wish NI would make a DAW. Closed system, like Reason; but with all of their products. Basically Komplete, if Komplete could sequence. I think it would be superior to everything on the market right now.

All I'm saying is, if Presonus can come out with a DAW that makes headlines and is critically acclaimed, Native Instruments sure can.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradylives ➑️
I just think a lot of virtual gear is just variations on the same themes. I don't get excited about stuff like NAMM because there hasn't been a piece of gear that's wowed me since Melodyne DNA. Otherwise, it's all kinda "meh".
not from namm but if you've been wowed my melodyne you'll probably like that one

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel ➑️
not from namm but if you've been wowed my melodyne you'll probably like that one

that is innovation right there...

some mad scientist sh!t...

there is a demo...

zynaptiq: pitchmap
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I actually wish NI would make a DAW. Closed system, like Reason; but with all of their products. Basically Komplete, if Komplete could sequence. I think it would be superior to everything on the market right now.
It wouldn't surprise me actually if they went that route in the future with Maschine. Maybe not a full on recording DAW but a DAW that focuses on what Maschine is really good at. Idk if taking away vst support is a good idea look at all of the flack Propellerhead has taken over the years by not allowing 3rd party vsts in their software but it would be interesting to see something like that in Maschine.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me actually if they went that route in the future with Maschine. Maybe not a full on recording DAW but a DAW that focuses on what Maschine is really good at. Idk if taking away vst support is a good idea look at all of the flack Propellerhead has taken over the years by not allowing 3rd party vsts in their software but it would be interesting to see something like that in Maschine.
I understand that, but Prop is also critically acclaimed as being stable and resourceful on CPU usage, which is also very valuable. The way I feel - I don't want VSTs. I want a product that is so good and "Komplete" in the box that I don't need extra stuff. VSTs are used because our DAWs are incomplete for what we are trying to accomplish.

NI has so many resources on instruments and effects it seems like all they have to do now is the easy part and finish the DAW. The beauty is they can all be automapped and controlled through things like Maschine. The software integrated hardware is the best thing to ever happen to computer music production in my opinion. It takes the best of both worlds. I've been saying it for years but I still would like to see a MPK style device from Native Instruments. One piece that has Maschine functionality with a really nice key bed and if my dreams came true some motorized faders. At least one ala Presonus Faderport style would work though. While we're at it, throw in a really nice interface too. Basically what I want is a Open Labs Neko where I can add my own computer. I want my whole studio to be a USB cord away from my iMac or Macbook pro. Something where I can have one piece of gear and all I need is a computer to plug it in and have an entire studios worth of gear.

As of right now the CLOSEST thing is probably Reason 6.5 with the Nektar Panorama. Immediate flaw to me with that is the 12 pads despite Kong using the standard 16. The way everything is mapped though, especially when working with the Mixer almost makes up for that.

IMO DAW specific controllers are what is going to change the game. Maschine isn't a DAW but it changed the game. Ableton Push will change the game. Nektar Panorama changed the game. There is just too much going on between all the DAWs to make something universal with the same power as something tailor fitted to that program.

With as popular as the Apple crowd is I can't believe nobody has came out with one for Logic. I'm very into a small, functional studio setup. I'd rather have that one centerpiece keyboard that does everything. I know some people aren't into that style but I love it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I understand that, but Prop is also critically acclaimed as being stable and resourceful on CPU usage, which is also very valuable. The way I feel - I don't want VSTs. I want a product that is so good and "Komplete" in the box that I don't need extra stuff. VSTs are used because our DAWs are incomplete for what we are trying to accomplish.

NI has so many resources on instruments and effects it seems like all they have to do now is the easy part and finish the DAW. The beauty is they can all be automapped and controlled through things like Maschine. The software integrated hardware is the best thing to ever happen to computer music production in my opinion. It takes the best of both worlds. I've been saying it for years but I still would like to see a MPK style device from Native Instruments. One piece that has Maschine functionality with a really nice key bed and if my dreams came true some motorized faders. At least one ala Presonus Faderport style would work though. While we're at it, throw in a really nice interface too. Basically what I want is a Open Labs Neko where I can add my own computer. I want my whole studio to be a USB cord away from my iMac or Macbook pro. Something where I can have one piece of gear and all I need is a computer to plug it in and have an entire studios worth of gear.

As of right now the CLOSEST thing is probably Reason 6.5 with the Nektar Panorama. Immediate flaw to me with that is the 12 pads despite Kong using the standard 16. The way everything is mapped though, especially when working with the Mixer almost makes up for that.

IMO DAW specific controllers are what is going to change the game. Maschine isn't a DAW but it changed the game. Ableton Push will change the game. Nektar Panorama changed the game. There is just too much going on between all the DAWs to make something universal with the same power as something tailor fitted to that program.

With as popular as the Apple crowd is I can't believe nobody has came out with one for Logic. I'm very into a small, functional studio setup. I'd rather have that one centerpiece keyboard that does everything. I know some people aren't into that style but I love it.
You're preaching to the choir about Reason. Its the ****. The same with Maschine. I think the big thing is though is that for years upon years Props always said Reason was not a DAW but instead a modular synth with a sequencer. At least until Record came out and people still screamed for DAW features which lead to testing Record and finally adding it to Reason. I am actually surprised that Maschine doesn't catch the same flack because it sits in that same weird space that Reason did where its more than a vst and not really a DAW. I would love to see similar controllers for other programs though particular ones with keyboards attached rather than pads. Hell gimme the hardware aspects of the Mpc Ren and merge it with a MPK 61 and give it the functionality of Maschine with Ableton and I will be a happy camper. Push is not that before someone says it. Push doesn't have the i/o that the Ren has which is what I really would like to see plus a keybed. And one last point I think everyone buys vsts for different reasons. Example I generally don't use stock fx of anything in a host DAW except for of course Reason because for years I had to so that hardly counts. I always felt half the fun of using a VST host was to go get some VSTs. I didn't think people used much of the stock stuff with their DAWs until I started talking about production with people who didn't make hip hop and bought most of their software.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
a lot of people have moved on from Namm, they are more Afghanistan focused these days
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You're preaching to the choir about Reason. Its the ****. The same with Maschine. I think the big thing is though is that for years upon years Props always said Reason was not a DAW but instead a modular synth with a sequencer. At least until Record came out and people still screamed for DAW features which lead to testing Record and finally adding it to Reason. I am actually surprised that Maschine doesn't catch the same flack because it sits in that same weird space that Reason did where its more than a vst and not really a DAW. I would love to see similar controllers for other programs though particular ones with keyboards attached rather than pads. Hell gimme the hardware aspects of the Mpc Ren and merge it with a MPK 61 and give it the functionality of Maschine with Ableton and I will be a happy camper. Push is not that before someone says it. Push doesn't have the i/o that the Ren has which is what I really would like to see plus a keybed. And one last point I think everyone buys vsts for different reasons. Example I generally don't use stock fx of anything in a host DAW except for of course Reason because for years I had to so that hardly counts. I always felt half the fun of using a VST host was to go get some VSTs. I didn't think people used much of the stock stuff with their DAWs until I started talking about production with people who didn't make hip hop and bought most of their software.
I feel the same way, and Akai has all the resources to merge the Ren and the MPK, which would be wicked. Honestly I think NI will do it first though just because the software is already there and that's the hard part. One day I hope this mega midi board will come out. I agree with keeping the Ren I/O too. I think it's well needed in this piece. I want to be able to plug in that USB cable and have my whole studio right there, where all you need to do is plug your monitors into the back; just like a workstation of the past, only with todays sequencing and processing power.

The way I see it; so many people using Maschine are going to abandon it for Push. It's superior for what a lot of folks are trying to do with Maschine, and since it's all going directly to their preferred DAW anyways, NI is going to have to fight back hard otherwise they will only have the hip hop crowd on board and at this point I think the amount of electronic artists is probably near or surpassed hip-hop. I can only see that forcing NI to close it in and make it more DAW like.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…