Has hip hop lost its sound ? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Has hip hop lost its sound ?
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash ➡️
It's a good dream tho. Or maybe we could force the industry to see the value in our demographic...still hoping i guess
Fantastic dream actually.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash ➡️
I said it a long time ago...we need an "adult contemperary hip hop" genre for all of us who grew up on boom bap or for those of us who like lyrical mc's or more substantial subject matter. Maybe one day the powers that be would see that there is a market to be tapped besides the Cheef Keef/Soilderboy/Wakaflaka crowd
nah bro lol

hip hop is for kids.

above 25 it's all nostalgia, you won't like the current stuff and start complaining.
Old 29th January 2013
Deleted cc5e104
I'm only 21 so I was too young to enjoy the "golden age" while it was actually all unfolding, in fact for most of my teenage life I was more of a rock and punk guy. Been slowly getting into hip-hop since I was 16 or so (now it's one of the main genres of music i listen to/make) yet I still prefer the older "sound" (that is, old and new artists of a boom bap style) so there's nothing nostalgic about for me, I just prefer it.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Hobbs_Won
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down ➡️
nah bro lol

hip hop is for kids.

above 25 it's all nostalgia, you won't like the current stuff and start complaining.
That's bull**** dude...

In Hip Hop, if above 25 is all nostalgia..then you can say that about all music then couldn't you?
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cc5e104 ➡️
I'm only 21 so I was too young to enjoy the "golden age" while it was actually all unfolding, in fact for most of my teenage life I was more of a rock and punk guy. Been slowly getting into hip-hop since I was 16 or so (now it's one of the main genres of music i listen to/make) yet I still prefer the older "sound" (that is, old and new artists of a boom bap style) so there's nothing nostalgic about for me, I just prefer it.
at 32 I was around for the not-so "Golden Age" of hiphop.
Yeah there were some great lyricists back then, but there were just as many mediocre ones.
Yeah there were some great producers at the time, but there were even more mediocre ones back then too.
For years almost all trained musicians who could play an instrument, sing, or compose didn't even consider Hiphop a legitimate style of music because producers usually just cut a 4 - 8 bar loop from a "already" hit record and added a few horn stabs, another loop from "The Funky Drummer" and an 808 Kick in the late 80's and 90's.
Quite a bit of the rap wasn't "serious" rap either, by today's standards.
A lot of it was along the lines of comedy stuff like D-12 (just not as raunchy).
A lot of it was "party" music that really wasn't talking about much either.

Then rappers started transitioning from "Hardcore" rap where they talked about fighting & being tough guys 1/2 the time to Gangsta rap where they talked about gang affiliations,fighting, killin, selling cocaine, pimping, and degrading women in every shape & form possible (not including pimping)
And of course folks got upset then, saying that Hip Hop was being destroyed..lol

Then when Biggie & Tupac got killed people calmed the "F" down & stopped talking about all that immediately. Hip Hop really blew up worldwide then.
Of course people said that the commercialization was destroying Hip Hop then.

So the 1 thing I can say has been consistent about Hip Hop over the last 25 years ....is people saying its dying, or being destroyed, or it isn't going to last. I'll let you judge how accurate they were about that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won ➡️
That's bull**** dude...

In Hip Hop, if above 25 is all nostalgia..then you can say that about all music then couldn't you?
imo nah.

rap's subjects and imagery speaks to kids plus it's very trend sensitive, there's a lot of music outside hip hop that's not like that.
hip hop i listen to is the stuff that spoke to me when i was 15 to 23 or so.

i can't relate to all the dumb **** currently trendy the content gets in the way for me, the world is a different place now. the stuff i do like usually is reminiscent of stuff i used to listen to, so even that is nostalgia.

just my opinion.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Its trend sensitive and geared toward kids becuz the subgenres for adults havent been really created yet like they have in other genres
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Below Zero ➡️
Its trend sensitive and geared toward kids becuz the subgenres for adults havent been really created yet like they have in other genres
so there's kid's jazz? funk soul country and there's grown-up's jazz funk soul and country? i don't think there is. those genres are not age dependent.

there are exceptions as always but imo in general hip hop is for kids, once your brain is fully developed, around 23 or so it won't speak to you any longer content wise, unless you're underdeveloped. you might like how it sounds still though but the content hopefully will sound more and more re:tarded as you age.

also, i'm not too sure if i would find a 50 year old rapper talking about health issues, receding hairlines and double mortgage very interesting to listen to, let alone look at.

Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Below Zero ➡️
90s hiphop is better than present time hiphop
Word.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think those topics would be great if done creatively like all other genres of music are able to do all ranges of topics

Media gives rap a stereotype of what it has to be

But it doesnt have to be
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
so there's kid's jazz? funk soul country and there's grown-up's jazz funk soul and country? i don't think there is. those genres are not age dependent.

there are exceptions as always but imo in general hip hop is for kids, once your brain is fully developed, around 23 or so it won't speak to you any longer content wise, unless you're underdeveloped. you might like how it sounds still though but the content hopefully will sound more and more re:tarded as you age.

also, i'm not too sure if i would find a 50 year old rapper talking about health issues, receding hairlines and double mortgage very interesting to listen to, let alone look at.

I think you have skewed view on what is Hip Hop.
I agreed that if you listen to days mainstream rap music mainly for the lyrics, you really have to be mentally challenged.

But what Hip Hop was about originally and what to days commercial Rap music (refuse to call it Hip Hop) has become, is not even like comparing 2 sides of the same coin anymore.
It is another music and culture that has taken over the name Hip Hop and some of it's attributes and calling it it's own. Let's just get that straight first.

There is no need for kidz rap and mature rap, ridiculous concept lol.
The real Hip Hop **** is timeless. All of the great artists from the 90's are in their 40's and 50's now.
Some of them still keeping it real still. Why you got to change your lyrical content to some middle class white american middle-age **** when you get older? Maybe if you were rapping about kiddy bull**** when you were young. Speak for yourself lol.
Not all kids are mentally challenged and can appreciate dope beats and lyricism. That real timeless ****. Instead of what gets spoon fed to them by media.
You seem to be one of those cats who think after you reach a certain age you have to be in a certain way,to conform and can't do hardly anything.
Age is just a number, why limit yourself like that?
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle ➡️
at 32 I was around for the not-so "Golden Age" of hiphop.
Yeah there were some great lyricists back then, but there were just as many mediocre ones.
Yeah there were some great producers at the time, but there were even more mediocre ones back then too.
For years almost all trained musicians who could play an instrument, sing, or compose didn't even consider Hiphop a legitimate style of music because producers usually just cut a 4 - 8 bar loop from a "already" hit record and added a few horn stabs, another loop from "The Funky Drummer" and an 808 Kick in the late 80's and 90's.
Quite a bit of the rap wasn't "serious" rap either, by today's standards.
A lot of it was along the lines of comedy stuff like D-12 (just not as raunchy).
A lot of it was "party" music that really wasn't talking about much either.

Then rappers started transitioning from "Hardcore" rap where they talked about fighting & being tough guys 1/2 the time to Gangsta rap where they talked about gang affiliations,fighting, killin, selling cocaine, pimping, and degrading women in every shape & form possible (not including pimping)
And of course folks got upset then, saying that Hip Hop was being destroyed..lol

Then when Biggie & Tupac got killed people calmed the "F" down & stopped talking about all that immediately. Hip Hop really blew up worldwide then.
Of course people said that the commercialization was destroying Hip Hop then.

So the 1 thing I can say has been consistent about Hip Hop over the last 25 years ....is people saying its dying, or being destroyed, or it isn't going to last. I'll let you judge how accurate they were about that.
LMFAO
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I don't know what you're on about.
People ain't been saying hip hop is dying and such bs for the last 25 years.

Just media and the record industry sometimes playing these kind of schemes. Like when G-Funk/West Coast was a fad, they were saying that the East Coast lost(?) it's grip or whatever. This was in the early and mid 90's when the East Coast Scene was more alive and innovative than ever. I wouldn't take such kind of bs too seriously..

Last edited by datakvlt; 31st January 2013 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: oops
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
imo nah.

rap's subjects and imagery speaks to kids plus it's very trend sensitive, there's a lot of music outside hip hop that's not like that.
hip hop i listen to is the stuff that spoke to me when i was 15 to 23 or so.

i can't relate to all the dumb **** currently trendy the content gets in the way for me, the world is a different place now. the stuff i do like usually is reminiscent of stuff i used to listen to, so even that is nostalgia.

just my opinion.
Maybe because Hip Hop has always been "anti-establishment". But, IMO, it's now become a music that has actually assimilated. It's no longer subculture or "against the grain" some of it, yea. But as a whole, all you see now is kids talking nerd stuff and trying to stand out saying dumb ****.

Think about hardcore or punk....that was a youth movement in the late 70's, 80's and, to a degree, the early 90's. But as a genre, it's totally dead. And, not much unlike Jazz, only the old folks or newer generations with good taste ( ) enjoy it.

I think it's the same with Hip Hop...except people are just saying it's still Hip Hop.

On a total digression, subculture in general is much different than it was even 10 years ago. It's easier to see the scene from the internet than have to go out in the street and network to find it.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Heres the link to the player. I guess you could find some flash capture software or online app

http://cache.reverbnation.com/widget...&blogBuzz=buzz
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by datakvlt ➡️
I think you have skewed view on what is Hip Hop.
I agreed that if you listen to days mainstream rap music mainly for the lyrics, you really have to be mentally challenged.

But what Hip Hop was about originally and what to days commercial Rap music (refuse to call it Hip Hop) has become, is not even like comparing 2 sides of the same coin anymore.
It is another music and culture that has taken over the name Hip Hop and some of it's attributes and calling it it's own. Let's just get that straight first.

There is no need for kidz rap and mature rap, ridiculous concept lol.
The real Hip Hop **** is timeless. All of the great artists from the 90's are in their 40's and 50's now.
Some of them still keeping it real still. Why you got to change your lyrical content to some middle class white american middle-age **** when you get older? Maybe if you were rapping about kiddy bull**** when you were young. Speak for yourself lol.
Not all kids are mentally challenged and can appreciate dope beats and lyricism. That real timeless ****. Instead of what gets spoon fed to them by media.
You seem to be one of those cats who think after you reach a certain age you have to be in a certain way,to conform and can't do hardly anything.
Age is just a number, why limit yourself like that?
It is just a number indeed. But it's a number society cares about! haha

It's harder for the average joe to get a job in the real world over @ 40 and up. Imagine in a pretentious entity like show business!! If you haven't made it by 30-35, the odds are severely stacked against you. At least from a fame standpoint. We are a vain culture, globally.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…