Quantcast
Has hip hop lost its sound ? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Has hip hop lost its sound ?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe what Hip Hop lost in a negative sense is nothing compared to what it gained on a positive tip? We seem to always seem to see these threads getting all blusey on the state of things and how things have gone down hill instead of putting forward positive affirmations. There is plenty to talk about.

The truth is things change
Movements evolve, adapt or fade away
There will be no better era than 'your' era
We all want to be accepted and will imitate, evolve or grow stagnate depending on the many factors of our social circumstances.
Music, even with in specific genres will never provide a 'one size fits all'
We will alway argue semantics (myself included) mainly because we are bored and it gives us some relief and entertainment.

Also...

Music will always entertain the mass
People will continue to enjoy it and buy it (even the **** that makes your stomach turn)
Most people just want to dance and have a good time.

Nothing with change that.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Producers have to have the "Automotive Industry"mentality. Keep it fresh!!!! you might not like all of what you hear, but what you don't like may be entertaining to others. If you look at the genre from a musician/composer point of view, each era calls for different background or theme music. If you're a good composer with taste-making skills, then Hip-Hop is alive and well.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
In my opinion hiphop has not lost its sound... there have just been new styles and sounds added. But dont forget there are artists who can still bring that raw hiphop sound.
Kendrick Lamar, Ab-soul, Jay Rock, Classified and more!

Sent from my LG-P705g
Old 25th January 2013
Hobbs_Won
I think society has lost it's soul a little (or a lot)...and that reflects in the music. Not just Hip Hop...of course, I'm biased...or at the very least...perceived as such.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The sound of hip hop has changed because the sound of the times has changed. Music is the reflection of an era and if you get too closely stuck in one era you will get left there quickly. It happened to me and now I am playing catch up lol.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Real Hip Hop and 99% of the new **** that get's passed of as Hip Hop these days couldn't be more different from each other.
There is no continuity either musically or in the culture.
It's like night and day.
So we got a problem here with 2 camps claiming Hip Hop, who have nothing in common with each other.
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child ➡️
With everything being itb from synths, drum samplers to tape machines has hip hop lost that essence of what it was recognised for ?

Overall i see some benefits but with 8bit vst's we could just go out and grab an s950 and so on to restore what has been replaced!

My other understanding is that Hip hop aint the same it was in the early 90s so pieces are kinda obsolete for the specific sound era it was in but tone and character wise it could still be implemented in modern day music!
Yeah it seems like it but check out this artist

Christian Hip Hop Artist 7vnseal
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by datakvlt ➡️
Real Hip Hop and 99% of the new **** that get's passed of as Hip Hop these days couldn't be more different from each other.
There is no continuity either musically or in the culture.
It's like night and day.
So we got a problem here with 2 camps claiming Hip Hop, who have nothing in common with each other.
Agreed. I been saying this for years. I think eventually boom bap will be accepted as its own genre as a whole in the same sense of how House and Trance are accepted as two different genres though they both stem from Disco.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest ➡️
Agreed. I been saying this for years. I think eventually boom bap will be accepted as its own genre as a whole in the same sense of how House and Trance are accepted as two different genres though they both stem from Disco.
I said it a long time ago...we need an "adult contemperary hip hop" genre for all of us who grew up on boom bap or for those of us who like lyrical mc's or more substantial subject matter. Maybe one day the powers that be would see that there is a market to be tapped besides the Cheef Keef/Soilderboy/Wakaflaka crowd
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash ➡️
I said it a long time ago...we need an "adult contemperary hip hop" genre for all of us who grew up on boom bap or for those of us who like lyrical mc's or more substantial subject matter. Maybe one day the powers that be would see that there is a market to be tapped besides the Cheef Keef/Soilderboy/Wakaflaka crowd
Wont happen.

The market (radio, merchandise, video, concert) is dictated by money, PERIOD. The 16yr old buys all the associated stuff because he has nothing else to do. However the 30+ demographic, buys occasionaly due to “real life“ commitnents tying up his money & time (rent, kids, job etc...)

The KING CONSUMER is 14 - 30 yrs. And so every consumable product is marketed to them. Notice theres no +50yr old people commercial for iPhone, Liquor, or Fashion ? ? ? ? That group is harder to “program“ through advertizing.

Posted via mobile device.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's a good dream tho. Or maybe we could force the industry to see the value in our demographic...still hoping i guess
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The only thing that ruined hip-hop is the internet.

Think about it.

Also, people act like there was a prohibition on old samplers and the majority were burned and destroyed by communist reich in an effort to destroy and rid the world of rap music.

The fact of the matter is, you can go on eBay right now and cop a 2000XL, a record player and a Proteus 2000 (Or maybe a Mo-Phatt, you big baller, you.) and make music with the same technology people were using in the "Golden Era"

I don't like synthy pop radio rap BUT there is plenty of new hip-hop that still sounds dope to me. If the internet has done anything good for society it's that it's made it incredibly easy to find like-minded people. Hence the forum we are all gathered here today on and by the power vested in me; turn up the bass.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Idk man,imo the sound and asthetics of real hip hop hasn't changed since the 90's and there's never been a shortage of it. Only thing that's really changed is what gets the airplay and major exposure-- I mean in the late 80's ,early to mid 90's,what's considered "underground" hip hop was basically all there was,besides gangster stuff. For example when u turned on bet or rap city u would get tribe,heiro,gangstarr,Pete & cl,Wu,ras kass,etc,etc....obviously nowadays that's different-- but that sound never left,and mad artists that were doing their thing then are still killing **** today. You got cats in their mid 40's still as dope as they ever were. But there's always been a wide range of artists still on that golden age ****,slightly under the radar but making good livings,with huge fanbases all over the world. **** ain't ever gonna stop,real hip hop will never die and in a lot of aspects right now its stronger than ever. Btw,just a reccomendation real quick-- you looking for some dope grown folk hip hop music,check out the mello music group label on bandcamp-- oddisee,Apollo brown,y.u.,diamond district ,etc...they put out o.c.'s latest album last summer,and guilty Simpson recently had his latest w Apollo brown released by mmg . Just an example of a whole camp of Mc's and producers still doing what people claim to be dead..doing it well and doing it big.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash ➡️
You can find it... just have to dig. I know a couple. Classified/Kendrick/Ab-Soul and there are many more. U need to dig tho just like u need to dig in crates to find dope records to sample.

Sent from my LG-P705g
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Actually GANGSTER RAP ruined hiphop and most urban music in general

every artist has to be thuggish now to an extent

kid n play type artists aren't cool anymore cuz in urban music you have to be a tough guy to an extent or a rebel without a pause

i wish there was an adult contemporary hiphop that had artists rapping about normal grown up issues or even abstract concept topics too

the ones that do suck
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
"The ones that do suck." ... I'm kinda having a hard time understanding how as hip hop heads so many of you seem to be having such a hard time finding good hip hop that focuses on adult and meaningful subject matter. I mean for real,there's so much of it. Like I mentioned above a good example is mmg,at this point a a huge roster of artists, with imo the best producer in the game contributing to almost every project-- oddisee. Next for mmg is uptown xo's new album. But damn you got cats like blu, reks,evidence,beneficience,jay live,strong arm steady, med,low budget crew ( kev brown,kaimbr,Sean born,etc...) Has-Lo, j zone,brother Ali, **** the list goes on and on..and on...and of course it goes way deeper than these type of names,these are all well established artists-- again,artists w flourishing careers and worldwide fanbases. I wouldn't call this type of hip hop any specific genre,its just good hip hop music...but it exists,in a major way-- honestly there's more grown man hip hop than ever right now,due to all the 30 sometings that grew up w this ****. Don't know where yall are looking but good hip hop isn't hard to find.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Below Zero ➡️

kid n play type artists aren't cool anymore cuz in urban music you have to be a tough guy to an extent or a rebel without a pause

i wish there was an adult contemporary hiphop that had artists rapping about normal grown up issues or even abstract concept topics too

the ones that do suck
That was happening before gangster rap too though. You think Rakim wasn't tough? Or do you think that Bow Wow has had a less than successful career making rap songs for 11 year old girls?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwon ➡️
"The ones that do suck." ... I'm kinda having a hard time understanding how as hip hop heads so many of you seem to be having such a hard time finding good hip hop that focuses on adult and meaningful subject matter. I mean for real,there's so much of it. Like I mentioned above a good example is mmg,at this point a a huge roster of artists, with imo the best producer in the game contributing to almost every project-- oddisee. Next for mmg is uptown xo's new album. But damn you got cats like blu, reks,evidence,beneficience,jay live,strong arm steady, med,low budget crew ( kev brown,kaimbr,Sean born,etc...) Has-Lo, j zone,brother Ali, **** the list goes on and on..and on...and of course it goes way deeper than these type of names,these are all well established artists-- again,artists w flourishing careers and worldwide fanbases. I wouldn't call this type of hip hop any specific genre,its just good hip hop music...but it exists,in a major way-- honestly there's more grown man hip hop than ever right now,due to all the 30 sometings that grew up w this ****. Don't know where yall are looking but good hip hop isn't hard to find.
I think its less that people can't find it and more that people want it on the radio and for it to be mainstream hip hop. It being out there isn't enough it has to be the cool hip hop too.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

the ones that do suck
Only in the sense it has become THE measure of how real or hip hop you are, is in if you're a real g or not. And money, bitches and bling kinda has replaced graffiti, breaking and Dj'ing (and skills) as the elements.
To be fair thou most hip hop artists from late 80's and 90's were also gangsta or ghetto and it's also a part of hip hop and where it came from. Only that back then it was not the main point or really about that in the sense it is portrayed these days.
Depends with what you mean with gangster rap thou.

Those in this thread who speak of more mature hip hop for old guys who wan't to reminisce the past or something and that hip hop has to be all nice and ****, can speak for them selves. It's not what i'm on about at all..
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest ➡️
That was happening before gangster rap too though. You think Rakim wasn't tough? Or do you think that Bow Wow has had a less than successful career making rap songs for 11 year old girls?
Yea but you didnt have to be. There were those that were and those that werent

Now its a requirement
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
@kevwest: yea I'm just reffering to the numerous posts saying hip hop needs an "adult" genre in general..and other posters that seem to believe radio play is what defines a successful artists..or that good hip hop barely exists. Btw ,I agree 100% w your above post-- mad hop hop that has been labled " gangster" played a huge part in molding the music,and mc' ing in general. Beatmaking as well. Hip hop didnt come from suburbia,its a music created by the margainalized and oppressed. Not everything ever was or ever could be shiny happy kid n play routines.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwon ➡️
Yea most of those u mention arent that good. They either have weak beats and weak rhymes with good voices and flow OR weak voice and no flow with great lyrics

Bro ali is good but his beats are ehhh for most part
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Are u ****ing kidding me man? Lol...its alright,its not your fault. Youre gonna tell me that you've actually heard most of these people? And that they arent " that good"? Come on ,do some homework.Or tell me exactly what you're looking for in your " adult contemporary rap".
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Ive heard most of the ones youve mentioned

Most of them suffer from what ive listed or they sound redundantly the same flow scheme on every track or they cant get great lyrically or they rap about rapping or they rap about saving or reminiscing on hiphops glory days

I dont want that

I want a rapper with a great voice great flow great rhyme schemes and great beats rapping about either creative concept tracks or basic grown up everyday stuff like takin care of the kids, crappy boss at work, rent due. Normal stuff.

For example i did a track where im rappin about a kid and how he has the world in front of him but at the end u find out im really talkin about myself and the perspective while looking at my own baby picture

But no one is as creative as me im a god compared to ur list
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Respect the god
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ive heard most of the ones youve mentioned

Most of them suffer from what ive listed or they sound redundantly the same flow scheme on every track or they cant get great lyrically or they rap about rapping or they rap about saving or reminiscing on hiphops glory days

I dont want that
+1 Peepz have gotten lazy, it's not an art or about skillz anymore. It's a money making scheme. it's ridiculous how low the threshold has gotten to what is acceptable.
You can sometimes even see it in the artists and audience on how they act and move. Looks like they move because they are expected to. Not because the music makes them move. Allot of acting and fake gimmicks.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Maybe give this a listen -- " that real" -- Oddisee ....( its on YouTube,I can't post a link w this phone) ...then let the related vids take u thru a rabbit hole for a half hour or so. Well worth the time. And tell me what you think.
Deleted cc5e104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzybeatz ➡️
You can find it... just have to dig. U need to dig just like u need to dig in crates to find dope records to sample.
Yupp, pretty much it.

Hip-hop on the radio is . . . just fcuking bleurghh, but so is all the so called "rock" "punk" "EDM" and everything else on mainstream radio too, so what do you expect? Radio and pop music is just background music for people that don't care enough about music to actually put any effort into finding what they like, in my opinion.

I have no problem digging deep to find good music of any genre, I don't understand why other people do. If you dig reeeeeeally deep and still can't find anything you like, then have a go at making it yourself. . .
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Oddisee is good
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child ➡️
Again with everything being itb from synths, drum samplers to tape machines has hip hop lost that essence of what it was recognised for ?
My answer is no. All the other stuff I typed was to show how/why I don't think itb, synths, drum samplers, and tape had/have anything to do with the essence of what it was recognized for.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…