Quantcast
Has hip hop lost its sound ? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Has hip hop lost its sound ?
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.E ➑️
You miss the oroginal sonics of hiphop... understandable...

The sound of hiphop hs changed naturally and I guess it was mostly in response to what appealed to people the most.

I also think like you from time to time but I also enjoy a clean sound without vinyl artifacts.

It's up to you to make that old school sound more pleasurable to the masses. You are the producer. I know some artists appreciate a mix of the two.
Im a lover of the new skool too and love the clean we get from itb but to me something is missing!?
I often day dream of buying an mpc3000 again but in this congested market ... Does it matter anymore ??
Old 23rd January 2013
  #32
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Nah I totally understand, I have the same sentiment... sonically, I miss the grain the old recordings have and I sometimes rave of being able to even just record some music the traditional way and then resample myself..

It feels more genuine as "music". For instance, as much as some soundclick compositions can be fun (and I think most people have outgrown this to the point that it already sound dated).. if you pay attention, it sounds like a video games music... not even in terms of melody as much as the instrumentation quality/sounds...

Old school recording were (samples mostly) from real music, real instruments.. The sonics are different. I'm not an advocate of getting all the way back to there but I think there are a few elements that could be interesting to reintroduce.

On the side of it, I also enjoy ignorant music that people wouldnt even deem music at all.. Everything has its use.
Old 23rd January 2013
  #33
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
No the sound has continually evolved... gm flash sounds different to PE which sounds different to a tribe called quest which sounds different to g-funk which sounds different to 50 cent... its bizarre that anyone thinks hiphop has one sound


I dont like the new hip-hop sound of the mainstream but quite like some of the backpacker stuff

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 23rd January 2013
  #34
Gear Head
 
Poszeone's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
1. rap/hiphop was only in the urban area in the 80's, and only the people that knew of, therefore it was free to do what ever it wanted. the public at large did not know of rap/hiphop.

2.in the 90's the public at large caught on to it and by the mid 90's it was on top, the #1 music of the public.

3. in the 00's rap/hiphop went more into the synth area (due to lil jon mixing edm sounds with it) music as in pop and rock. so, now...we are not the #1 music, now we must be equal with pop and rock and now in the 2010's EDM...
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle ➑️
I think most mainstream hiphop has lost the atrocious sound quality that plagued it in its early days. Of course now some people are trying to recreate that sound with 8 bit sample conversions, purposely out of wack mixing, and archaic (analog) equipment.

I'm not nostalgic about it either. The music was exciting because it was new and there wasn't much else like it. But things have to change.
Personally I think the sound has improved a lot. When I go back an listen to some of the tracks even from just the 90's, you find that the majority of Soundclick producers are doing better than that. The music has gotten more complicated, sound quality has improved due to cheap cost of ITB production.

However the whole spirit and innovation of hiphop hasn't changed. Now that everybody has access to greater tools you still see some innovating, pushing the standards of arrangements and sound quality higher, using whatever tools they have available.
Nowdays its not an MPC ...its just a PC.
These are exciting times.
Whoah. You saying sound click producers are creating tracks of better sound quality than stuff like Midnight Marauders, All Eyez On Me and Life After Death?
Sound that was beautifully balanced, full of depth, body, life and dynamics?

I'd say you're quick to forget, or something else....
Old 23rd January 2013
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
No but the tools provided these days gets us towards the ball park!
Nowadays most beatmakers mixing their own stuff! Those days it was dedicated mix engineers that knew their outboard and their craft!
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Addict
 
WildStyle's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 ➑️
Whoah. You saying sound click producers are creating tracks of better sound quality than stuff like Midnight Marauders, All Eyez On Me and Life After Death?
Sound that was beautifully balanced, full of depth, body, life and dynamics?

I'd say you're quick to forget, or something else....
You also forget that Master P, Silkk Da Shocker, Mystical, Mercedes(No Limit Records), Do or Die, Lil Troy, Eightball & MJG, UGK and the early Cash Money Records all on the airwaves in 90's too.

I loved a lot of that music music and still do, but a lot of it isn't even close to the sound quality, dynamics, and creative arrangements found on even Soundclick today. When we go back and talk about oldschool hiphop, we often leave out a lot of the very popular tracks that aren't considered classic today, but were very popular back then. Overall sound quality has improved.
Some of the big time artists today are putting out albums that have great sound quality even compared to the classic hiphop albums.
And many small time and emerging hiphop artists are putting out albums and mixtapes that completely eclipse small time and emerging artists back in the day.
Things evolve.
In the late 80's and 90's when rap went mainstream many people said (including my pops) there was no talent in it, because producers didn't really create there own sound or original material they just stole other peoples records & sampled them.

In my opinion, now we've come full circle, now some producers are completely creating their own sound and compositions and folks are saying that its not good, its not truly talented because they didn't sample and run it through whatever affordable HARDWARE gear they could get their hands on.

Music evolves, when James Brown came up with funk they said he was ruining soul music because he didn't have enough key changes, they said his band was playing offbeat (downbeat).
LOL

Music evolves, changes, better to embrace the change than to be left behind.
Old 23rd January 2013
  #38
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I invented hip hop
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 ➑️
Whoah. You saying sound click producers are creating tracks of better sound quality than stuff like Midnight Marauders, All Eyez On Me and Life After Death?
Sound that was beautifully balanced, full of depth, body, life and dynamics?

I'd say you're quick to forget, or something else....
How can you compare soundclick producers in general to what you are saying? We don't talk about the 90's, 80's or whatever in the context of what amateur to semi professionals do. There was plenty of wack **** that came out in the 90's that would be comparable to soundclick producers to much worse than what half cats can make after a week of music.

It's just an unfair comparison, soundclick vs. great artists of any era.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #40
SEED78
Guest
I have a strong love of the 80s SP1200 era, Priority One, Bizzie Boyz, Tuff Crew, Paul C etc etc

problem with non diggers is they forget this

In the 80s/90s there was:
Block Party Fearless Four style
Electro Afrika Bambaata
Drum machine Audio 2 style
Rock Rap Run DMC style
Birth of sampling james brown Marley Marl style
Raggamuffin hip hop Daddy Freddy style
Daisy Age Tribe/De La style
Gangster rap NWA style
Jazzamatazz Guru style
R&B P Diddy Style
Southern Rapp-a-Lot style
DITC Beatnuts style
Gritty underground Godfather Don, Fondle em Records style
Sci-Fi Doctor Octagon Style
Live band hip hop Roots style
Latin Cypress Hill style
Funky Euro MC Solar style
etc etc etc etc etc etc

thats a lot of styles guys!!

in 2012/2013 there is only underground style or overground style - I'd actually say its not diverse or confident enough.
Old 24th January 2013
  #41
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
It's the difference between feel and technique.. the technique might have improved (and it did)..but the feel has totally changed.

Now part of the feel was because of those early poor technologies.. (and yes, don't tell me that 8bit is better than 16bit, it's just what they had under the hand).

That early feel was pretty cool and since it is the first iteration of what was then hiphop, it sounds like the definition of it. What we have have now is a metamorphosis of that early hiphop.

Like a larva becoming a butterfly. Now maybe the butterfly is not in good health after all this time flying around lol.
Old 24th January 2013
  #42
Lives for gear
 
terrytee's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poszeone ➑️
1. rap/hiphop was only in the urban area in the 80's, and only the people that knew of, therefore it was free to do what ever it wanted. the public at large did not know of rap/hiphop.

2.in the 90's the public at large caught on to it and by the mid 90's it was on top, the #1 music of the public.

3. in the 00's rap/hiphop went more into the synth area (due to lil jon mixing edm sounds with it) music as in pop and rock. so, now...we are not the #1 music, now we must be equal with pop and rock and now in the 2010's EDM...
This is so true!!
Old 24th January 2013
  #43
Lives for gear
 
terrytee's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Feel of hip hop has nothing to do with technology. Herc playing breaks back to back doesn't involve 8 bit samplers. Sure technology in the form of extending the break but thats nothing to do with feel, unless we are referring to the cut of course!

My point is simple, hip hop can be in any style of music & from any era or time in music history. It can heard in almost all genres, not just hip hop. Hip hop just learned how reinvent everything.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee ➑️
Feel of hip hop has nothing to do with technology. Herc playing breaks back to back doesn't involve 8 bit samplers. Sure technology in the form of extending the break but thats nothing to do with feel, unless we are referring to the cut of course!
I said "part" of the feel...

I don't think that vinyl pressing impart the same sound...
I don't think that analog recording devices sound like what we have today...
Even listening in an IPOD instead of a boombox is a technologic shift...

And I don't think that if technology had remained the same, (meaning an absence ofthe digital tools we have today to create music) we would have the type of records we have today...

Technology changed the feel of hiphop...
What we call hiphop today does not necessarily feel like the hiphop of yesterday and it's partially due to technologic changes.
Old 24th January 2013
  #45
Lives for gear
 
terrytee's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.E ➑️
I said "part" of the feel...

I don't think listening to a vinyl impart the same sound...
I don't think that analog recording devices sound like what we have today...
Even listening in an IPOD instead of a boombox is a technologic shift...

And I don't think that if technology had remained the same, we would have the type of records we have today...

Technology changed the feel of hiphop...
What we call hiphop today does not necessarily feel like the hiphop of yesterday and it's partially due to technologic changes.
"Feel" am talking about they way people choose to deliver a line or play a instrument or simply just groove. It's still all there and has nothing to do with changes in tech. Think about the changes over the years from tubes to transformers in desks & that had a huge impact on the sound of music and consequently the styles of music that were big. But ultimately it didn't rob music of any feel or passion.

I can see we're your coming from with regards to tech when looking at the amount of people who sound like there painting by numbers on a pro tools grid. personally I can't make music that way. I have always hated being able to see my patterns. it makes me try to have it looking good rather that feeling good, if that makes sense :/ Get the feeling a lot of the producers that learnt there craft in the last 10 or more years get down like this or simply use templates which will never really catch that energy and excitement.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree ➑️
How can you compare soundclick producers in general to what you are saying? We don't talk about the 90's, 80's or whatever in the context of what amateur to semi professionals do. There was plenty of wack **** that came out in the 90's that would be comparable to soundclick producers to much worse than what half cats can make after a week of music.

It's just an unfair comparison, soundclick vs. great artists of any era.
I was mainly responding to these quotes:

"I think most mainstream hiphop has lost the atrocious sound quality that plagued it in its early days."

And this in the same post...
"Personally I think the sound has improved a lot. When I go back an listen to some of the tracks even from just the 90's, you find that the majority of Soundclick producers are doing better than that. The music has gotten more complicated, sound quality has improved due to cheap cost of ITB production."


So I quoted some mainstream hip hop from the 90's, which happens to sound incredible and I would say unsurpassed in terms of engineering/production for the genre. There might be some stuff that came in the 00's that matched that era, but damn that stuff was brilliantly executed by all in the team from production to recording to mixing to mastering.

I guess the operative word is SOME, ie "SOME of the tracks even from just the 90's". Not many, IMO!
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee ➑️
"Feel" am talking about they way people choose to deliver a line or play a instrument or simply just groove. It's still all there and has nothing to do with changes in tech. Think about the changes over the years from tubes to transformers in desks & that had a huge impact on the sound of music and consequently the styles of music that were big. But ultimately it didn't rob music of any feel or passion.

I can see we're your coming from with regards to tech when looking at the amount of people who sound like there painting by numbers on a pro tools grid. personally I can't make music that way. I have always hated being able to see my patterns. it makes me try to have it looking good rather that feeling good, if that makes sense :/ Get the feeling a lot of the producers that learnt there craft in the last 10 or more years get down like this or simply use templates which will never really catch that energy and excitement.
Well that's exactly why I said "part" of the feel.
And I don't really think that painting by the grid is wrong or anything. I try to be open-minded. It's just another creative process. We either like the result or not.

For instance, I appreciate the works of such producers as Boi-1da or T-minus... It does not necessarily "feel" like that oldschool hiphop (although they have work that "feels" like it)...

I can't judge whether songs are greater or worse nowadays, there is just what I do like and what I dislike.
I just tend to not like the ultra digitalization we have on some records... But sometimes, it just works and it's all good.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #48
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Below Zero ➑️
90s evolved to be better than the 80s

Now it devolved to be worse than the 90s
This.

There are always exception to every rule or mostly true statement of course.

I'm 31 and for the most part wasn't big on much of the 80's stuff though I know it built the foundation for the golden era that I consider to be the 90's....but if I were 5-10 years older it would probably be a different story. I do feel without a doubt that the 90's was the greatest decade/era for this genre by a long shot and will unlikely ever be matched for the innovation, collaborations or quality. I feel fortunate to have grown up/been a teenager when the 2PAC's, DJ Quiks, Dres, Nas, etc. were coming out with all those great songs in the 90's.

Alot of the better records were being made in nice, often times $100,000+ studios with a TEAM of talented artists/musicians, producers and engineers. Now any dick with a computer can knock something out in five minutes and have it for millions to listen to in minutes-whether it's horrible, mediocre or great.

That said, there's still alot of great music being made in the last and current decade too and I can't listen only to stuff made in the 90's forever. We are so fortunate to live in a time where you can get a subscription to Mog/Spotify or free internet radio like Pandora or buy just the tracks you like for $1 a piece and have thousands of them on your ipod/mp3 player. It's too bad the majority don't even have the respect to pay this small amount. I wasted alot of money on albums where I only really listened to or liked 2-3-4 tracks and had to drop $10-16. Kids these days get it all for free and appreciate it less.

We live in a great time for access and convenience but the average quality and enormous surplus of choices makes it more challenging to sift through the mountain of material to find the treasures. And it's all personal taste and personally I cant stand this twochains, gucci, rick ross garbage that I usually here when I listen to the radio or top40 rap and I cant believe anyone actually likes these assclowns.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #49
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.E ➑️
Nah I totally understand, I have the same sentiment... sonically, I miss the grain the old recordings have and I sometimes rave of being able to even just record some music the traditional way and then resample myself..

It feels more genuine as "music". For instance, as much as some soundclick compositions can be fun (and I think most people have outgrown this to the point that it already sound dated).. if you pay attention, it sounds like a video games music... not even in terms of melody as much as the instrumentation quality/sounds...

Old school recording were (samples mostly) from real music, real instruments.. The sonics are different. I'm not an advocate of getting all the way back to there but I think there are a few elements that could be interesting to reintroduce.

On the side of it, I also enjoy ignorant music that people wouldnt even deem music at all.. Everything has its use.
Lots of good points in here.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 ➑️
I was mainly responding to these quotes:

"I think most mainstream hiphop has lost the atrocious sound quality that plagued it in its early days."

And this in the same post...
"Personally I think the sound has improved a lot. When I go back an listen to some of the tracks even from just the 90's, you find that the majority of Soundclick producers are doing better than that. The music has gotten more complicated, sound quality has improved due to cheap cost of ITB production."


So I quoted some mainstream hip hop from the 90's, which happens to sound incredible and I would say unsurpassed in terms of engineering/production for the genre. There might be some stuff that came in the 00's that matched that era, but damn that stuff was brilliantly executed by all in the team from production to recording to mixing to mastering.

I guess the operative word is SOME, ie "SOME of the tracks even from just the 90's". Not many, IMO!
No doubt, sorry, I understand what you are saying and it was a response. I do feel like some people are so caught up on the net that they forget new albums get released regularly. Not saying you are one of those people but I know about 100+ people who consider soundclick to be the place to analyze the trends in Rap/Hip Hop lol.
Old 24th January 2013
  #51
Lives for gear
 
drethe5th's Avatar
Heres my take.

Sound quality has been upgraded tremendously. However, some people actually prefer the lower quality sound. Its subjective to opinion.

As for the music and artistry. Its up to you what the final product is. On Ludacris track "MVP" and "I Do It For Hip-Hop" he worked with people like Premier and it was recorded in a DAW at a modern studio, but it still sounds like some original Premo Boom-Bap. So the change isn't the equipment in itself, its more so the ear and vision of the producer and artist that has changed the sound.

Also look at supply and demand. In the 90's artists wanted a deal. So they needed to be the best in their neighborhood, city, state just to get in to a good studio and have a shot at picking up a deal. Equipment cost money and the gate keeper (studio owner) was a guy from the 80's. Those people wanted to hear a certain sound, even if it was different than their own. So there was a "check point" for what was allowed in to a studio to begin with, and what people would put money behind to record, distribute, and promote.

Now the "studio" owner is a person 16 - 21 in his room who can record whatever he wants. Very little money needed for recording (daw), even less money spent for distibution (itunes, amazonmp3) and now the only issue is adequate promotion. Videos & Graphics are shot by artists themselves.

Add this to the fact that no one is making major money from music sales and it sets a situation where people don't have to try to be the best because it doesn't matter. If the artist is just screwing around and it comes out halfway decent they can put it out without risk of taking a financial loss

So you no longer have a gate keeper "making or breaking" an artist. And therefore artists and producers who don't need to achieve a level of proficiency. That means less quality control and more product.

This can be good and bad. A brilliant artist like Kendrick Lamar wouldn't have made it in the 90's, (up against 2Pac, The Lox, Scarface) but neither would an artist like 2 Chains.

We now have full freedom in music, but we also now have the dilemma of figuring out what to do with that freedom.
Old 24th January 2013
  #52
Lives for gear
 
terrytee's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th ➑️
Heres my take.

Sound quality has been upgraded tremendously. However, some people actually prefer the lower quality sound. Its subjective to opinion.

As for the music and artistry. Its up to you what the final product is. On Ludacris track "MVP" and "I Do It For Hip-Hop" he worked with people like Premier and it was recorded in a DAW at a modern studio, but it still sounds like some original Premo Boom-Bap. So the change isn't the equipment in itself, its more so the ear and vision of the producer and artist that has changed the sound.

Also look at supply and demand. In the 90's artists wanted a deal. So they needed to be the best in their neighborhood, city, state just to get in to a good studio and have a shot at picking up a deal. Equipment cost money and the gate keeper (studio owner) was a guy from the 80's. Those people wanted to hear a certain sound, even if it was different than their own. So there was a "check point" for what was allowed in to a studio to begin with, and what people would put money behind to record, distribute, and promote.

Now the "studio" owner is a person 16 - 21 in his room who can record whatever he wants. Very little money needed for recording (daw), even less money spent for distibution (itunes, amazonmp3) and now the only issue is adequate promotion. Videos & Graphics are shot by artists themselves.

Add this to the fact that no one is making major money from music sales and it sets a situation where people don't have to try to be the best because it doesn't matter. If the artist is just screwing around and it comes out halfway decent they can put it out without risk of taking a financial loss

So you no longer have a gate keeper "making or breaking" an artist. And therefore artists and producers who don't need to achieve a level of proficiency. That means less quality control and more product.

This can be good and bad. A brilliant artist like Kendrick Lamar wouldn't have made it in the 90's, (up against 2Pac, The Lox, Scarface) but neither would an artist like 2 Chains.

We now have full freedom in music, but we also now have the dilemma of figuring out what to do with that freedom.
Pretty good take. No artist development also, but guess its self explanatory since the collapse of the game on a Monterey level.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee ➑️
Lol rubbish, were are the classic rakims ultra and p.e. me thinks the creativity was very different. There was a saying in the late 80's (everybody wants to be a dj) that changed in the 90's to (everybody wants to be a thug).
welcome back mr. t

may i add:

00's everybody want to be a 'real musician' and 'producer'.

imo should just go back to dope beat makin' from a dj perspective.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee ➑️
Feel of hip hop has nothing to do with technology. Herc playing breaks back to back doesn't involve 8 bit samplers. Sure technology in the form of extending the break but thats nothing to do with feel, unless we are referring to the cut of course!

My point is simple, hip hop can be in any style of music & from any era or time in music history. It can heard in almost all genres, not just hip hop. Hip hop just learned how reinvent everything.
Feel was wasn't a part of this post until you actually mentioned it, Where did you get sidetracked ?

However the fact is technology of today has everything to do with imparting feel! (forget 8bit)

I cant get a vibe from anyone drawing in extended notes on a piano because they can't play the keys! It may sound a lil convincing but it ain't what it is!

Does vst strings have that articulate expression better than what it models ?

Vst drums samplers never sounds as groovy as a human performing it! ?
Old 24th January 2013
  #55
Lives for gear
 
terrytee's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child ➑️
Feel was wasn't a part of this post until you actually mentioned it, Where did you get sidetracked ?

However the fact is technology of today has everything to do with imparting feel! (forget 8bit)

I cant get a vibe from anyone drawing in extended notes on a piano because they can't play the keys! It may sound a lil convincing but it ain't what it is!

Does vst strings have that articulate expression better than what it models ?

Vst drums samplers never sounds as groovy as a human performing it! ?
Get a grip mate. Second post in I said sound is not the key thing to hip-hop, there fore as long as it feels, smells or tastes like hip hop it's hip hop!! If you can get ur head round that. Way I like to make music is only a reflection of my taste, I could not care less what equipment another person is using or if they drew it or got down live, all that maters to me? Is it sounding feeling like hip hop irrespective if its sample based trad or Deep South 808 ala mantronic! Made on a dirty ass 950, like my ****, or clinically clean and shiny and made in the daw. Hip hop isn't defined by old equipment, I only still use that **** because its how I learnt my craft back in the pre daw days.
Old 24th January 2013
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I kinda get the ignorance of your post, I didn't say hip hop was defined by old equipment! It helped shape the sonics of what hip hop was which is why i was asking has the sonics been lost to what is current with plugins and the whole essence (techniques of how hip hop was made) but you didn't exactly answer that question so you got lost along the way i guess!

If Hip hop ain't known for its sound I wonder with the legendary Mpc being such a hip hop standard why does every current drum machine base itself on vintage emulation ?

If music is a reflection on your own taste then you wont get my point buddy!
Old 24th January 2013
  #57
Lives for gear
 
terrytee's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Am 40 next year dude, making hip hop since the late 80s and still use an mp but also can and have used only a daw or a live band. In fact a dope beat can made on a pair of spoons. Hip hops comes from the creativity of the artist and not the equipment. Btw my first post answered your question, eg old equipment or tape scopes out the mids, that's clearly the sound your thinking of. The music of today can be made to sound the same as yesterday with new plugs fact is it boils down to the user & back in the day we had no choice about how it sounded as we were all defined by tape saturation. My point is simple you can not define the sound of hip hop by a lack of mid range frequencies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child ➑️
If Hip hop ain't known for its sound I wonder with the legendary Mpc being such a hip hop standard why does every current drum machine base itself on vintage emulation ?
because of hype maybe??

There is nothing special about the mp sound, in fact most of them sound just as clinical as any modern day daw.
Old 24th January 2013
  #58
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Sh_t sucks today. Sorry to go all negative. Just my opinion. I started with hip hop in the early 80s in the bronx. I was lucky enough to be there when sh_t was being born. We all had big dreams but what drove hip hop at that time was definately self expression; whether through bboying, graf, or dj and mc'ing. It was the combination of all those things that created the atmoshpere which I grew up in: hip hop was me and I was hip hop. As I got older, the "rap" portion of hip hop was bastardized and turned in to a cash cow for big labels. Many jumped on that bandwagon in order to make that money (including me). This was the point where it all started to change. Then came the gangsta stuff and the soul of hip hop was gone.

These days "rappers" are overly focused on "getting paid" and thus create formula driven, template based production that they think will appeal to the largest slice of the market. I'm sure they are exceptions, but "rap" has gotten so bad I personally cant listen anymore. But throw on some 80s or early 90s stuff and I'm head bobbin'...

Maybe I'm just "get off my lawn old", but that's my opinion....



As for the technical side of things, nothing sounds better than my tr-808 going directly in to my mixer. Same as it was done 30 years ago. What does that say?



Sent from my GT-N8013
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #59
Hobbs_Won
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel ➑️
there's music, you like it or you don't. point blank.
yup
Old 24th January 2013
  #60
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Hip Hop has most definitely lost it's sound.
It's not just the music part thou, but the whole culture like dimconcept just said.
Hip Hop hasn't evolved, it's more like it's been hijacked.
The lineage is broken.
Id love to see Hip Hop develop and evolve more than anything , but first we need rewind back to the 90's and continue from there where we lost it in the first place.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump