Quantcast
Looking for advice starting a new company - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for advice starting a new company
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Looking for advice starting a new company

Hi all, I apologize up front if this isn't the right forum, but there isn't an exact fit and well this is the place I spend most of my time. Years ago I had another login but couldn't remember the pw, but I read and get so much inspiration indirectly from so many posters here, was hoping to get a little on some more direct things.

So for the past two and a half years I've been transforming myself from a user into a maker of the gear we all love and at last I can start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel where I'll actually be launching my company and releasing my first product before the end of the year.

This is my first endeavour into something like this (though I have done a startup before not audio oriented) and knowing that there are many here who have done the same hopefully some of you can guide me on the road to becoming a professional. Here are some questions I have:

* What professional orgs should I become a member of and at what point?
* What's required for obtaining FCC compliance for the electronics? Most if not all of the pro gear I see has that FCC statement so I assume this will be required, though I do know some small companies don't.
* What are people using to create their specifications (THD, response curves, etc.). Is using something like FuzzMeasure sufficient or are there third parties that you hire for it?
* Any things that I should know about going into actual production? Hiccups I should expect, pitfalls to avoid etc.

Thank you in advance for all your help both now directly and over the years.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 10 years
If you are talking about FCC compliance, you are obviously in the USA.

You also need to look at the European compliance specs - especially the EC RF radiation and susceptibility requirements and the RoHS specs for using unleaded solder and the like.

If you do not comply with these, you will not be able to sell worldwide.

If you are making audio equipment I would certainly become a member of the AES.

I hope this helps.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett โžก๏ธ
and the RoHS specs for using unleaded solder and the like.
Thanks for your response John. I think I heard that RoHS is required overseas but not necessarily stateside. I know we can still buy non RoHS components and leaded solder for that matter. I guess it's probably wisest to just comply with RoHS from the start as whether its tomorrow or 10 years from now that change is coming.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Mods and Repairs

Good day, ,,deda,, here wishing you the best in all of your future endeavors.

Now for current day endeavors that would dovetail perfectly with your long term goals.

If you were so inclined you could jump start your company by doing what Brent Averill, Avedis, Dave Marquette, Oliver Archut and a few others have done and that is repairs to vintage gear, doing mods on vintage and modern gear then onward and upward to manufacturing.

The above guys are considered to be some of the best at repairs and mods in their day bar none and now after stellar work their entire careers each of the above have what it seems you want.

That being a manufacturer and in Brent Averill's case, BAE which is superb gear, Avedis's offerings have all been stellar, Dave Marquette's "Marquette Audio Labs" has evolved into another success that being "Mercury Recording Equipment Co." and Oliver Archut's "Tab Funkenwerk's" has many products that are highly sought after.

The gentlemen above are just a few that have made the transition to manufacturing but these guys I know have made the grade BUT, they had the humble beginnings I pointed out above 1st.

In closing I will post a link to another huge name both in audio engineering and with several highly sought after remarkable outboard pieces of gear, Gregory Scott AKA "UBK" and Kush Audio.

The following link is a must read from Gregory Scott and I read and reread it often just to keep my mind focused to the tasks at hand.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8275476-post259.html

As stated above good luck in all future endeavors.

Regards, ,,deda,,
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thanks deda,

Indeed those that you mention are among the many that I take inspiration from. My path varies a little from their own, but indeed everyone must walk their own. And in that regard Scott's advice rings quite true. The currentand the next step. Maintaining focus to stay on one's path and see it through.

Thanks again.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…