Quantcast
How much money do band members from Maroon 5 earn? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How much money do band members from Maroon 5 earn?
Old 21st January 2013
Founder

Quote:
David Bowie split Spiders from Mars after sports car chat led to fight

Conversation about buying Lamborghini resulted in Woody Woodmansey finding out new man Mike Garson was being paid more than original band
Classic tale!

heh
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Ok, here it is. In the UK, a decent basic session guy on a mid-level tour will pick up around £250/day, that's not including per diems. On a month-long tour, that's £4k-£5k.

If you're the musical director of the band then that figure would move up to £250-£500/day. Maybe more.

The bees bollocks can pretty much name their price. I know a certain US drummer who commands $7k/week. He is admittedly putting aside pretty major league gigs to go on tour.

Then you have to consider whether you're getting paid for pre-production rehearsals etc. But then you probably won't be on tour all year round. Say you tour for 6 months, that's £30k in your pocket, £25k after tax, then you have to consider whether or not you'll have any work, or indeed CAN take any work the rest of the time....

If you are a member and share in the writing of a mid-level touring band (playing to say 1500/ night) who are selling a few records, picking up TV spots, getting a few big festival gigs etc, you're almost certainly making around £50k per annum. If you are the sole writer in that band then that figure would be closer to £100k, but then the way money works it's way to writers you might get £300k this year and zero next year. Per annum figures are a little ridiculous for this reason, unless a musician is sensible and wages himself from a business account.....If you are just 'in the band' but not a writer at this level, the pay would probably reach £25k/annum if you are lucky.

(These figure assume the use of a crew, production and a bus - they change hugely if you don't bother with a large crew or a bus - they are your biggest costs.)

Now on the top echelon of touring bands, playing amphitheaters and sheds every night, the figures get pretty crazy, pretty quick as long as you can stay on the road for a long time (thereby bringing down costs). When you sell 20k tickets at $80 each and the door ticket take is $1.5 mil every night, then, obviously everyone gets to share in that and becomes relatively rich, relatively quick.

Saying that a lot of musicians spend faster than they earn and end up mortgaged to the teeth despite their income.

Most musicians, on the other hand, aren't in successful bands and will make close to nothing most of the time.....
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➡️
David Bowie split Spiders from Mars after sports car chat led to fight

Conversation about buying Lamborghini resulted in Woody Woodmansey finding out new man Mike Garson was being paid more than original band

Classic tale!

heh
Joni Mitchell quit touring for a number of years when she did the math at the end of a tour and realized her roadies made more than she did.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Last time I checked. . $6million is a lot of freakin money.

So what if some stars have earned upwards of $500... I'd be very happy with $6.

Funny thing is I work with Adam Levine's father in law Lmao. No way would I ask him though

Sent from my SGH-T999
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix ➡️

Funny thing is I work with Adam Levine's father in law Lmao. No way would I ask him though

Sent from my SGH-T999
Give me 2Mil and I'm set for life..
Gear Addict

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix ➡️

Sent from my SGH-T999
That's true but there's a lot of difference between having $6 million in a brief case, or making a $6 million salary and being "worth" $6 million

being worth $6 million includes all assets liquid and otherwise and when you look at net worth a lot of people are worth well in excess of a million or more but are broke, In order to have that $ million, they would have to sell everything they own, and cash in their retirement, etc, etc. Net worth is also extremely variable from day to day. When the housing market in CA went into the sh!tter for example my net worth dropped around 40% although my income, bank balances, standard of living, etc remained unchanged

Also for a pop band income may be limited to a short time of popularity after which there is very little income

Would you rather be worth $6 million for five years or make $200,000 - 250,000 income adjusted for inflation for 35-40 years

I know which one is working better for me
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse ➡️
That's true but there's a lot of difference between having $6 million in a brief case, or making a $6 million salary and being "worth" $6 million

being worth $6 million includes all assets liquid and otherwise and when you look at net worth a lot of people are worth well in excess of a million or more but are broke, In order to have that $ million, they would have to sell everything they own, and cash in their retirement, etc, etc. Net worth is also extremely variable from day to day. When the housing market in CA went into the sh!tter for example my net worth dropped around 40% although my income, bank balances, standard of living, etc remained unchanged

Also for a pop band income may be limited to a short time of popularity after which there is very little income

Would you rather be worth $6 million for five years or make $200,000 - 250,000 income adjusted for inflation for 35-40 years

I know which one is working better for me
I'd rather have tons of shiny stuff I can sell if I'm broke !
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Don't forget you have pay for the artwork, buy and print the shirts, ship them to every gig, and pay numerous people to sell them for you.
Venues typically take a percentage of merchandise sales as well
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
Let's have a reality check. $200k a year puts you in the top 5% of earners. Average income is in the 50k mark with 20% of the population below $25k.

And a warning - no inflammatory language or it gets zapped.
It depends on where you live. 200k in tech areas like LA, NY, Sanfran, New England or some bigger cities in Texas is not unncommon and more like 30% of population there. In some of these areas even a few years ago the average house price was a million dollars. It's all relative. The ideal thing to do is to try to get a 4 day work week and buy a house in another state or rural area, long commute and maybe stay in a hotel on work nights. You can save a ton of money. I know a lot of people that do this. They make $150k a year in the valley and they buy a house for 200k in Merced or Madera where it's quiet and cheap. You can retire at 45
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➡️
It depends on where you live. 200k in tech areas like LA, NY, Sanfran, New England or some bigger cities in Texas is not unncommon and more like 30% of population there. In some of these areas even a few years ago the average house price was a million dollars. It's all relative. The ideal thing to do is to try to get a 4 day work week and buy a house in another state or rural area, long commute and maybe stay in a hotel on work nights. You can save a ton of money. I know a lot of people that do this. They make $150k a year in the valley and they buy a house for 200k in Merced or Madera where it's quiet and cheap. You can retire at 45
I don't know where you're getting your demographic numbers, but I live in one of those regions, and have spent a lot of time in others. To be sure, there is a very wealthy segment of population that resides in those regions, but not 30%, not by a long shot. I suppose we should let them all eat cake too...

Anyhoo, this is a tangent, so I'm checking out...
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the information so far, but I still havent seen any numbers that really add up for this band. They seem to be selling out 15-20k seat theaters. Does the drummer not get any percentage of that? How about the orinal members like Madden? They just get a flat fee?

And do they not share in any money for the record sales? They just get a flat fee there? If that were actually the case it seems hard to believe they would even have the $4million that the net worth site claims.

I still find it LOW that $4 million is what the original members have aside from Adam...given 4 platinum+ albums, 4 tours, etc etc.

I'm not in the biz, but Im betting that some of you at least know typical numbers or maybe could point me in the direction of somewhere I could find the details?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear
If you are seriously interested in learning about how an artist gets paid, read Donald Passman excellent "All You Need to Know About the Music Business"

No one except Maroon 5's management is going to know the ins and outs of their contract.

Here's some example math for you for royalties for a platinum album. I used the royalty of 18%, which is high but Maroon 5 is a successful act. A band just starting out (and probably what their original deal was set at) are around 12%. Also, the wholesale price might be different, these numbers are from 2006

Wholesale price of CD: $12.05
Royalty (18%, less 3% producer royalty [15%]) $1.81
Royalty x 1,000,000 units: $1,810,000
Less 10% free goods (promotional copies given away by the record company): $181,000

Total: $1,629,000

Now, from that, you have to pay back your cost from recording (which I'm sure are high from them), plus various other cost like music videos and promotion (which are usually shared with the label)...in other words you aren't paid until your expenses are paid
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The net worth site is wrong anyway, as it lists the guy's annual income as 6 million, which is exactly what he gets from the tv show. He would be getting ASCAP income, publishing, licensing and record royalties on top of that. Plus sponsorship, freebies etc.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
He would be getting ASCAP income, publishing, licensing and record royalties on top of that. Plus sponsorship, freebies etc.
maybe his lawyer and manager get all his money? Ozzy didn't make a dime till he married the person getting all his money.
Old 22nd January 2013
S21
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sometimes monetary figures are overstated to make someone seem more popular and valuable.

When I hear that a TV show is paying someone $6m, I wonder "why didn't they offer less?" Is the person so busy they wouldn't have done the work for $5m? .. $4m? .. $3m? .. .. ..

If they took a percentage on a speculative venture that turned out to be wildly successful that is a different matter. Most musos seem to be broke and you don't need to offer broke people vast amounts on money to get their attention.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek ➡️
I don't know where you're getting your demographic numbers
http://spartandaily.com/64821/annual...silicon-valley

http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Nyc-l-New-York,-NY.html
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz ➡️
They probably earn a lot less than you think.
and/or more than they need...
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic ➡️
Heh, no argument from me on that one.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➡️
maybe his lawyer and manager get all his money?
It's much more likely the website is getting it wrong. Websites do you know.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic ➡️
As someone said earlier, don't forget many musicians have a five to twenty year career. During the first 18 years of life at least they are scrabbling for pennies. Then, if lucky, they have a few years of good income, then after 35, 40, or 50 they often earn very little at all.
So an entire life's earnings is squeezed into the years they are selling records and selling out gigs.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucladave ➡️
Yeah but if you look at that site the other original members are valued at only $4 million each since they dont have the TV appearances on The Voice etc. It just seems like members in a band that have 3 platinum albums and have toured a lot would have a lot more!
$4million not enough money? Buy 4 million lottery tickets and cross your fingers
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
The net worth site is wrong anyway, as it lists the guy's annual income as 6 million, which is exactly what he gets from the tv show. He would be getting ASCAP income, publishing, licensing and record royalties on top of that. Plus sponsorship, freebies etc.
Most likely, I don't see how Rihanna can earn around 13X more when Maroon 5 are having a massive success rate over the last couple of years.. It tells you about Rihanna in Forbes.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think it would be more interesting to see what the writers for these people are making, as opposed to the 'talent'.
Old 22nd January 2013

🎧 15 years
This thread is 100% guesswork. In some cases educated guesswork, but the only people who can tell you for sure are m5's accountants. That really is the start and end of it. Everything else is unsubstantiated and most likely way off the mark.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse ➡️

No brainer. Option 2 is 8 times the work, and you're in your 60's before you get a break. To even ask which is better, one must first forget that time is more valuable than money.

6 mil banked and earning with 35 years on the beach sipping girlie drinks out of a coconut, doing volunteer work, and working on projects for the sheer creativity.

Let some bean counter spending 60 hours a week until he's old and defeated in an office under fluorescent lights debate for me the merits of how it's invested. Don't need a new car every year. I do need time with my family and friends. The difference in money there is a severe undervaluation of one's youth.

In the meantime, this mojito isn't going to refill itself.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz ➡️
I think it would be more interesting to see what the writers for these people are making, as opposed to the 'talent'.
The mechanical royalty rate is 9.1 cents. I'd imagine anyone who got their song to Maroon 5 has a publisher, who typically take half. So, let's pretend I wrote 1 song on a platinum selling album and I had a publisher...I'd make $45,500 in royalties from the album sales (the other $45,500 went to my publishing company) Now, look at the songwriting credits on a pop song. How many names do you see? It's not uncommon to see 4 or 5. So, divid that up into 20% shares and I'm making $9600. If you are in a band and all the member split the publishing equally, a similar formula would apply.

Of course, I'll still get paid for radio play, TV use, licensing, ect. so record sales are just a small part of how you can make money from your songs. And, unless you signed a bad deal and gave some of it to your label, the record company doesn't touch any of your publishing (see 360 deals...which are all too common now)
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The annual income numbers in this thread are baffling to me. I make an annual salary of roughly $60K, plus benefits, and an employer sponsored/contributes retirement plan. I live in Seattle, which was recently ranked #10 on the ten most expensive places to live in the US. To hear some folks in this thread, I should be living in a one bedroom apartment in a slum neighborhood. Truth be told, I live in one of the more desirable neighborhoods of Seattle, I own my house, and I drive a relatively new car.

I realize this is off-topic from the point of the thread, but the cost of living comments needed some perspective from the other side.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The above mentioned article about "the music business" aligns exactly with what I've been able to learn from rubbing shoulders from time to time with studio guys from Nashville. The first two albums from any group, no matter how successful, tend to be just to get even. From there on, most groups increase their outlay on recording, live production, touring costs and so on (all of which are paid from the artists earnings) so that the "record sales" part of the equation often equals a draw. There are a whole lot of folks with their hands out for the proceeds of the tour, but that's what's actually going to put money in the pockets of the band. If you started work, tour 1, as a paid backing musician, you'd be ahead of the band until at least tour 4! After that (what, less than 0.5% of recorded acts get out to a successful 4th tour) you start to make real money that you could bank.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear
As I said, read the book I mentioned earlier if you are interested in this stuff. I think it's important to know as a musician. Knowledge is power and will help you from getting a bum deal
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Alot of bs flying around in here....
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…