Quantcast
How a regular person listens to electronic music - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How a regular person listens to electronic music
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How a regular person listens to electronic music

So if you are having hard time putting your beats together, making the perfect mixdown, whatever, dont take it so seriously. Most of the time they wont notice.
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
if you don't take it seriously, then no one else will either, regardless of how "regular" they are.
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just throw in wubs with the untz and nobody will care if it's a bad remix of Carly Simon
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
never challenge yourself, sounds like a great motto

for real though, sometimes I won't listen to a track for a few days, smoke some weed, then hear it from a listener's perspective. gone are the slight nuances that I spent hours on. What's left is the feeling of the track. That's perhaps what we should be concerned with. Though I do spend a lot of time working in 32nds on the grid
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ at 5k capacity rave.
"I'm not dancing to this I can tell they used an in the box soft sampler and not a proper Akai S seires"

true story, I was there folding my arms while all these other clueless morons kept dancing.
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
i dont make electronic music for other people. i make it for my self.. if anyone else likes it.. well thats just a bonus.
Old 8th September 2012

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt ➑️

why would i make music for that guy?
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No. His jaw doesn't seem to be swinging around enough.
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
...dont take it so seriously.
Making beatz is serious business.
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Can you imagine the same thing being said to a chef or a film director?

"Hey man, don't bother with those fancy recipes, people just s**t the food out anyway".

I guess many so called producers 'can't see the wood for the trees', but then those guys aren't really producers.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I like the pic. The op's comment below it is questionable IMO
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would argue that if a person listens to my music, then that person is not a "regular person."
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
at a house party a million years ago, we played one song venga boys "we like to party" and other then a few "is that the same song?" nobody really seemed to notice

if electronic music is to become music for the ages, it would appear to need a formalized ruleset with reproducible scores and

listeners
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
And buff dudes takin a dump

Sent from my PG06100
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is great information.

I can't wait to discuss it with my mother.
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarekroh ➑️
i dont make electronic music for other people. i make it for my self.. if anyone else likes it.. well thats just a bonus.
likewise. it's actually a somewhat strange notion to me that it's absolutely expected that music is supposed to be shared with other people. though i do occasionally enjoy listening to other musicians' work, the most joy i get out of music is the process of creating and/or playing it myself, for myself.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
... venga boys "we like to party"
Oh, the words I'd fling @ them (if given the opportunity) for all of the "ear raping DRIVEL" they were responsible for in nightclubs around the globe!!!!

I often hear people complaining about the lack of talent now-a-days... Well, the 90's had its share of garbage as well!

`
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why would you make music for anyone but yourself?
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How this thread seems to want to promote self indulgence and uniqueness, and yet is still full of bandwagoning pseudo artist claiming to be different yet constantly agreeing with each other is beyond me.

The guy was just saying to ease up, and don't forget to have alittle fun, because at the end of day, the audience doesn't care about how you got from point A to point B.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald ➑️
How this thread seems to want to promote self indulgence and uniqueness, and yet is still full of bandwagoning pseudo artist claiming to be different yet constantly agreeing with each other is beyond me.

The guy was just saying to ease up, and don't forget to have alittle fun, because at the end of day, the audience doesn't care about how you got from point A to point B.
you must be a REAL artist cuz you question the validity of everyone elses art huh? wow! maybe if i lash out at everyone else i could be a real artist too!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
you must be a REAL artist cuz you question the validity of everyone elses art huh? wow! maybe if i lash out at everyone else i could be a real artist too!
I don't know, whats more artsy? One man lashing out at a group, or a group lashing out at one man?

Write a song about it.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If all the girls in your room start jumping around when you play your track, then you know it's good.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald ➑️
because at the end of day, the audience doesn't care about how you got from point A to point B.
Steven Spielberg talking to the Jurassic Park set designers: "Dudes, just chuck a few plants around, the audience don't care how we get from A to B, they just wanna eat popcorn and look at a few pretty pictures."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➑️
likewise. it's actually a somewhat strange notion to me that it's absolutely expected that music is supposed to be shared with other people. though i do occasionally enjoy listening to other musicians' work, the most joy i get out of music is the process of creating and/or playing it myself, for myself.
I think the only way of doing anything worthwile is to do it for yourself primarily. If you look at any form of art, the best and most original stuff always originates from people who are doing it to themselves and not for others.

I make music that I would like to listen to. That doesn't mean I don't like sharing my music tho and ofcourse it's a huge compliment when people listen to my music.

I'm always surprised to read interviews where artists say they cannot listen/look at their own work after it's completed, it's very weird idea for me. I've also read so many times that musicians wouldn't listen to other musicians, I don't get that either.

Back to the topic, the title shouldn't probably say "electronic music", but something a bit more specific. I like the typography on the pic tho, nicely layed out Helvetica.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok I probably was misunderstood. First I posted the picture because I think it's funny and it really relates to the reality of the producer.

Of course you have always to try your best but sometimes it makes you wonder about how people will react to the music if you didnt polish that much. Will they notice? Most of the time the average listener that goes out is there just to have fun, to get drunk/drugs and looking for sex. This is a fact. Really i dont see people going "dude that hihat sound is out this world" or "that vocal sample is not clear enough" etc.

And this doesnt mean I dont give a **** but it makes me think. That's it.

And about the people saying they make music for themselves, and that is the most important thing. I agree with you, but I think you cant deny that from an artist point of view, one of the ultimates goals is to show and share his creations with the rest of the world. And im not only talking about music here.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also I think the image is referring to dance music rather than electronic music, I severely doubt many people listen to Derbyshire, Jarrre, Vangelis or Stockhausen like that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Most of the time the average listener that goes out is there just to have fun, to get drunk/drugs and looking for sex. This is a fact. Really i dont see people going "dude that hihat sound is out this world" or "that vocal sample is not clear enough" etc.
True, but the average listener also is not your customer. DJ's are. And DJ's do care about the quality of the tracks, otherwise they wouldn't spend their hard earned money on them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You've made a good start at being at artist. May I recommend lashing out at everyone instead in of just one person. Then you can be a real artist.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
fwiw i enjoy tracks crafted with care, with details that reveal themselves in a proper listening environment

my favorite artists abc and def always have well balanced tracks with no arrangement boogers

respected label had a em (not edm) release by xyz and the engineering was so bad i almost wrote to the label to find out if i had a bad pressing.

but whatever, life goes on right?
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When I go to clubs these days and hear good DJs, I'm often struck by how really polished and well-produced the tracks are. I don't have the impression at all that it's an uncompetitive field and that anything you throw up will work or be well-received. Quite the contrary. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's almost a problem that DJs are putting out tracks that sound so well produced, because it's making it harder and harder to perform live electronic music and reach the expected level of polish, sound quality, mix sophistication, etc. When rock 'n roll was the music of the day, live rock bands weren't competing with LPs in live venues, but live electronic music really is competing with DJs in the sense that people's expectations for what they'll hear in live venues has changed a lot.

slightly OT, sorry 'bout that.

-synthoid
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…