Quantcast
How a regular person listens to electronic music - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How a regular person listens to electronic music
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted 9b8a453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted ➡️
Not DJs on radio stations. All they have ever cared about since the inception of radio is how much advertising dollars they can get.
I think this is a broad, sweeping statement that is being applied to a diverse crowd of individuals. Also, it's clearly an untrue statement. Having said that, I admit it's possible that you've only ever been exposed to crooked, tasteless, spineless DJ's. I can see how this could make a person disillusioned.

For similar reasons, I presume that most dinner ladies are also mean old bitches.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➡️
You ever been to the MoMA? The **** they try to pass off as "art" their is laughable.
Absolutely.

And in the next thread, we will talk about the decline in literacy standards.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
My biggest fans are music producers.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN ➡️
That's kind of ignorant really. People make music for self expression/satisfaction too you know, and that's how alot of great trends have been started. It starts in the basements n' bedrooms of people who are self driven to create something new.

The music industry may be "a competition" for some people, but those same people are the kind of wank - offs that make the music industry so ****ing tiresome. That's why trends die and sometimes destroy the genres that they glorified.

Take Nirvana for example. Pure teen angst basement type ****. Brilliant, original stuff. They were not a "competitive" bunch of guys. Their music sold because it was good and new and not wank like most rock music had become, due to the "competitive" thing. Bands like Def Lepper had made it so that you had to spend a million dollars just to make an album that sounded competitive.

Then other fake bands come later and say "oh, we're going to be like Nirvana and sell a million records n tour and have lot's a girls"
The business man says "Yes, and I'm going to get rich" and that's when the music industry becomes "competitive."

Another point about this is FREEDOM. If I want to make a splatter on the canvas and ask $50000 for it, who are you to complain? Were you a potential buyer? Personally, I think that anyone who can sell a paint splattered canvas for $50 is some kind of criminal genius and deserves some kind of respect.

But you forget that it's a FREE COUNTRY and we can make up any old **** and sell it at any price we choose! YEE HAA!
Amen.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Nirvana weren't the first grunge band, it was already a scene in seattle. Nevermind was a really well produced album by Butch Vig.

That said, I do agree that you should create what you think sounds good.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Most "regular" people are actually molested by music and have some Stockholm Syndrome reflex where they "take its side." I thought Gangnam Style was fun. . . for awhile ... but it is more like a virus that replicates itself -- I don't need to wake up in the middle of the night with that in my head. My 6 year old heard 30 seconds of "Have you seen Molly?" before I could turn off the radio. Now he walks around asking if anyone has seen Molly? Having your six year old talking like Siri asking if anyone has seen Molly is not cool!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost ➡️
Why would you make music for anyone but yourself?
Because one of the keys measures of great art is its ability to connect with others.

If you're entirely selfish in your creations then why should anyone care about them?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➡️
likewise. it's actually a somewhat strange notion to me that it's absolutely expected that music is supposed to be shared with other people. though i do occasionally enjoy listening to other musicians' work, the most joy i get out of music is the process of creating and/or playing it myself, for myself.
^I love this right here. A million times thank you; I thought I was the only one. Only difference for me is that I love any good music, whether I made it or not has zero effect on how capable I am in enjoying it.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My wife once told me that most of electronic dance music is to be danced to, under the influence of (something-something.) That's true, it explains for example minimalist house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik ➡️
My wife once told me that most of electronic dance music is to be danced to, under the influence of (something-something.) That's true, it explains for example minimalist house.
Only on the harder styles.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon ➡️
Most "regular" people are actually molested by music and have some Stockholm Syndrome...

My 6 year old heard 30 seconds of "Have you seen Molly?" before I could turn off the radio. Now he walks around asking if anyone has seen Molly?
Holy S***.... YOU ought to SERIOUSLY consider comedy OR @ the very least, writing it. I've literally been laughing uncontrollably for the past 10-15 mins.

FANTASTIC!

`
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon
Most "regular" people are actually molested by music and have some Stockholm Syndrome...

My 6 year old heard 30 seconds of "Have you seen Molly?" before I could turn off the radio. Now he walks around asking if anyone has seen Molly?
That's why I don't let my kids listen to Rap, they walk around asking "Where my Niggaz at?"
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️
Absolutely.

And in the next thread, we will talk about the decline in literacy standards.
That was cute.
Deleted 9b8a453
Quote:
That's true! Music and Drugs go hand in hand, always have done, since caveman days.

Raves in the past were similar to the hippie festivals of the 60's where people gathered for mind altering drugs, music, dancing and psychedelic images.

Having said that, a lot of techno music is fantastic without even so much as a beer or a joint.

With is usually better, but most of us have to work.

Re. Nirvana, they were not the only ones to do grunge but I think they developed their sound in relative isolation, before the scene was really big.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 9b8a453 ➡️
Nirvana, they were not the only ones to do grunge but I think they developed their sound in relative isolation, before the scene was really big.
Kurt Cobain was always really involved in whatever local scene was at hand, and knew the music of that scene and area (and elsewhere) intimately and comprehensively; but he was also an idiosyncratic musical genius with his own muse and vision.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild ➡️
Kurt Cobain was always really involved in whatever local scene was at hand, and knew the music of that scene and area (and elsewhere) intimately and comprehensively; but he was also an idiosyncratic musical genius with his own muse and vision.
I think his main distinguishing factor is that he brought 4-chord pop progressions to grunge music. Once he had his pop-template smash hit that went top 40, people (not just scenesters) then cared about the rest of his music. . . and all of grunge, which opened the door to much more musically and sonically intricate acts like Soundgarden to go mainstream. Whether its having a "muse" or "vision" or "genius", it really always comes down to having a hit record by doing what hit records always do.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➡️
That was cute.
Sorry, I just couldn't help it...

btw: I completely agree with your opinion on the MoMA.

My point was: if you wage a legitimate Kulturkampf, you don't leave your rifle and boots [written world] at home. Cruises and drones [video, audio, internet] are not enough.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's true! Music and Drugs go hand in hand, always have done, since caveman days.

Raves in the past were similar to the hippie festivals of the 60's where people gathered for mind altering drugs, music, dancing and psychedelic images.

Having said that, a lot of techno music is fantastic without even so much as a beer or a joint.

With is usually better, but most of us have to work.

Re. Nirvana, they were not the only ones to do grunge but I think they developed their sound in relative isolation, before the scene was really big.
Music is supposed to take you on a trip with only your ears. That's what I've loved about it since I was a child. You don't need drugs to enjoy music.
Deleted 9b8a453
Quote:
Music is supposed to take you on a trip with only your ears. That's what I've loved about it since I was a child. You don't need drugs to enjoy music.
"Music is supposed..." Supposed by who? You?

Nobody said you need drugs to enjoy music.

But historically, music and drugs have been consumed together. That tradition continues today.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
But historically, music and drugs have been consumed together. That tradition continues today.
I saw what you did there.

drugs go mainstream conservative with the old history / tradition thing.

-synthoid
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
it's totally evident

If music is very good, it can totally involve you (mind and body, soul, sex, intelligence and warrior instinct, everything) with no external help.

It totally captures you. It alters your emotions and your physical attitude.

Average music requires a beer and friends to be listened to.

Below-average can't even keep your attention: you chat with friends ot iron your socks while listening.

(At an especially bad concert, after half an hour I was mentally checking my monthly bank balance. Culprit: Pat Metheny, definitely not at his best).

But in order to endure 4 or 5 hours of EDM, you definitely need help from huge and well-capitalized chemical laboratories.

Chemicals take care of your blood pressure, fatigue, heartbeat, emotions... and the music fills the remaining void with a pulse.

Chemicals run the show in EDM, music is a sideshow.

EDM is just a click-track for the night out.

If chemical laboratories can manage to synthesize a drug which manages time division (i.e.: which alerts you it's time to have another drink, time to try mating, next that it's time to go chill, etc),

EDM will disappear.

"Elevator music for the social drug room" will remain.

As for "history":

Civilizations where drug had a relevant social role, produced background, "elevator" music, which totally left the leading role to the drugs.

In drug-centered mystical and social experiences, music has no central role.

No endurable importance.

Everybody still knows peyote, but nobody cares about Maya music anymore. Castaneda or Huxley made peyote immortal, not peyote-music.

Musicians read their books about those rituals, and what they retained was peyote. "Music for peyote", they had to write again, because the old was worthless, irrelevant.

Everybody knows opium: but how many people study chinese opium-house music? Who cares? Opium (heroin) is what really mattered in that experience, what was transmitted, what constituted the civilization.

(This is why nobody effing cares what an EDM musician does on stage. Somebody tell them: they seem to be very self-conscious about their gestures and dress, but nobody really gives a damn about. It is not a performance, you are just a waiter, a nurse).

Complex music was born from rather sober [wine, gin and beer belong to sobriety Not to mention food and women] civilizations
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted 9b8a453
Quote:
it's totally evident

If music is very good, it can totally involve you (mind and body, soul, sex, intelligence and warrior instinct, everything) with no external help.

It totally captures you. It alters your emotions and your physical attitude.

Average music requires a beer and friends to be listened to.

Below-average can't even keep your attention: you chat with friends ot iron your socks while listening.

(At an especially bad concert, after half an hour I was mentally checking my monthly bank balance. Culprit: Pat Metheny, definitely not at his best).

But in order to endure 4 or 5 hours of EDM, you definitely need help from huge and well-capitalized chemical laboratories.

Chemicals take care of your blood pressure, fatigue, heartbeat, emotions... and the music fills the remaining void with a pulse.

Chemicals run the show in EDM, music is a sideshow.

EDM is just a click-track for the night out.

If chemical laboratories can manage to synthesize a drug which manages time division (i.e.: which alerts you it's time to have another drink, time to try mating, next that it's time to go chill, etc),

EDM will disappear.

"Elevator music for the social drug room" will remain.

As for "history":

Civilizations where drug had a relevant social role, produced background, "elevator" music, which totally left the leading role to the drugs.

In drug-centered mystical and social experiences, music has no central role.

No endurable importance.

Everybody still knows peyote, but nobody cares about Maya music anymore. Castaneda or Huxley made peyote immortal, not peyote-music.

Musicians read their books about those rituals, and what they retained was peyote. "Music for peyote", they had to write again, because the old was worthless, irrelevant.

Everybody knows opium: but how many people study chinese opium-house music? Who cares? Opium (heroin) is what really mattered in that experience, what was transmitted, what constituted the civilization.

(This is why nobody effing cares what an EDM musician does on stage. Somebody tell them: they seem to be very self-conscious about their gestures and dress, but nobody really gives a damn about. It is not a performance, you are just a waiter, a nurse).

Complex music was born from rather sober [wine, gin and beer belong to sobriety Not to mention food and women] civilizations
Your post is very wordy, but comes from a strange, sheltered point of view.

BTW Alcoholic drinks are a powerful drug, most often accompanied with music of one sort or another.

I don't know what civilizations are to be considered "sober" do you mean Oklahoma?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To the guy who says great music comes from sobriety you are a laugh bro. Ever heard of the 60s?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I never take drugs yet I like music such as acid house/techno psytrance/goa (if it is the good stuff not the boring stuff). I let the music be my 'drug' and is one thing I am glad to be addicted to.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Everybody knows what peyote is because people know about recreational drugs. There's only like 10 of them. Some musician did not make peyote immortal.

People don't know Maya music because people don't know music from any ancient civilization, drugs or no drugs. Hell people hardly know music from 60 years ago, drugs or no drugs.

But recreational drugs . . . they're undeniably timeless, as you've just shown with your Maya reference.

Some other notes:

"Chinese opium house" isn't even google-able. You can't make something up and then argue that its insignificance somehow illustrates that drugs are more central to dance music than dance music.

Music is clearly central to EDM, moreso than drugs. Esp in 2012. We're living in the time of the EDM hit record.

Kids these days are all about the EDM performance and what the act does on stage. Acts that have a show element to them pull the largest crowds by far. And have kids excited and talking the next day.

I feel like you're off on nearly every single point you make. Clear case of changing reality to fit your world view, as opposed to adopting a world view that fits reality.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you need drugs to enjoy music than its probally cause the music u listen to sucks a bag of dicks.

A bunch of drug/hipsters here sound like a bunch of adolescent, sheltered trust fund babies with mommy and daddy paying for u to explore your bisexuality at a liberal arts college.

Meanwhile there's drug war being waged and innocent people are being butchered and having their body parts left on the highways and their families being left with video footage of it.

Sorry, no offence but some of you here can shove political bull**** up your ass.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Deleted 9b8a453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris ➡️

Sorry, no offence but some of you here can shove political bull**** up your ass.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Does that include you? After all, you come trolling along into this perfectly reasonable debate, talking like you're a music hardware interested Rush Limbaugh.

And in one post, you manage to describe no less than two, TWO homosexual acts. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it seems somehow... irrelivant?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yep. I've enjoyed music ever since the age of five when I was busy destroying my dad's 45 RPMs and I've never taken any drugs.
Deleted 9b8a453
Quote:
Yep. I've enjoyed music ever since the age of five when I was busy destroying my dad's 45 RPMs and I've never taken any drugs.
Ever drank a beer?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…