How a regular person listens to electronic music - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How a regular person listens to electronic music
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt ➡️
Ok I probably was misunderstood. First I posted the picture because I think it's funny and it really relates to the reality of the producer.

Of course you have always to try your best but sometimes it makes you wonder about how people will react to the music if you didnt polish that much. Will they notice? Most of the time the average listener that goes out is there just to have fun, to get drunk/drugs and looking for sex. This is a fact. Really i dont see people going "dude that hihat sound is out this world" or "that vocal sample is not clear enough" etc.

And this doesnt mean I dont give a **** but it makes me think. That's it.

And about the people saying they make music for themselves, and that is the most important thing. I agree with you, but I think you cant deny that from an artist point of view, one of the ultimates goals is to show and share his creations with the rest of the world. And im not only talking about music here.
Surely you're making it for the DJ to choose to play it, not for some halfwit E'dup punter...and thus DJ's are a lot more analytical. If you're track doesn't sound polished, maybe they'd just overlook it and it doesn't get played...

You're making music to impress your peers, not some boozed up chump at 4am
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I make music for my cat. If a cat cocks its head at your music, you know you're on the right track.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel ➡️
True, but the average listener also is not your customer. DJ's are. And DJ's do care about the quality of the tracks, otherwise they wouldn't spend their hard earned money on them.
Not DJs on radio stations. All they have ever cared about since the inception of radio is how much advertising dollars they can get.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Making it sound totally effortless, light and easy to enjoy is the hard part.
Old 10th September 2012
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Facts is, I don't like Rodin's "Thinking man".

It is a ugly piece of work.

It makes "thinking" look like it's a heavy, painful, boring activity, leading nowhere.

And look at those contracted, static muscles.

"Thinking makes your back ache". "After thinking, you will need stretching and a tylenol"!

That image is a campagn AGAINST thought!

If THAT's an artist's idea of "a thinking man" and of "force",

I now understand why people would rather look like this :

Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

So if you are having hard time putting your beats together, making the perfect mixdown, whatever, dont take it so seriously. Most of the time they wont notice.
no1 even goes to clubs anymore. 5 beers and formula one on tv
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i make music in hopes that these folk will approve:

you know- bobby, joey, ricky, tommy, carmine... the "fans" of electronic music

fist pump ftw
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak260 ➡️
i make music in hopes that these folk will approve:

you know- bobby, joey, ricky, tommy, carmine... the "fans" of electronic music

fist pump ftw
LOL, homos are not the only people who listen to electronic music.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid ➡️
When I go to clubs these days and hear good DJs, I'm often struck by how really polished and well-produced the tracks are. I don't have the impression at all that it's an uncompetitive field and that anything you throw up will work or be well-received. Quite the contrary. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's almost a problem that DJs are putting out tracks that sound so well produced, because it's making it harder and harder to perform live electronic music and reach the expected level of polish, sound quality, mix sophistication, etc. When rock 'n roll was the music of the day, live rock bands weren't competing with LPs in live venues, but live electronic music really is competing with DJs in the sense that people's expectations for what they'll hear in live venues has changed a lot.

slightly OT, sorry 'bout that.

-synthoid
Only thing worth reading in this thread.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted ➡️
If all the girls in your room start jumping around when you play your track, then you know it's good.
Very true.

If the girls don't like it, needs work or delete button.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If all the girls in your room start jumping around when you play your track, then you know i it's cheesy trance or electrohouse and should be deleted immediately.
I edited your post a bit, to reflect reality a bit more.

Not so many girls into techno or deep house or ambient or any of the subgenres of electronic music that I like at least. Could be just Finland though, whenever there's good music playing, it's a massive sausagefest.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Of course you have always to try your best but sometimes it makes you wonder about how people will react to the music if you didnt polish that much. Will they notice?
When I see the Thinking Man picture, somehow Trent Reznor from NIN pops in my head and how carefully crafted and polished The Downward Spiral was. Despite how heavy the guitars were and given the nature of it's tribute to musical noise, it's still an electronic album underneath, meticulously thought out. It wouldn't have been the same album otherwise. Good quality electronic/dance music by nature is based on it being well thought out, if not, it ends up sounding sloppy, repetative and lazy. And let me say, IMO, a lot of dance music out there that is not "polished" is what has given electronic dance music a bad wrap.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➡️
IMO, a lot of dance music out there that is not "polished" is what has given electronic dance music a bad wrap.
IMO, it's the "polished" music that is bad.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica ➡️
Agree. The raw sounding stuff is usually better.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
+1

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarekroh ➡️
i dont make electronic music for other people. i make it for my self.. if anyone else likes it.. well thats just a bonus.
Good Sentence.
Wildfunk
Quote:
When I go to clubs these days and hear good DJs, I'm often struck by how really polished and well-produced the tracks are.
In other words the tracks are boring (but well polished).

Regular person likes or dislikes track:

Producer analyzing track and complains always about something:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
When I go to clubs these days and hear good DJs, I'm often struck by how really polished and well-produced the tracks are. I don't have the impression at all that it's an uncompetitive field and that anything you throw up will work or be well-received. Quite the contrary. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's almost a problem that DJs are putting out tracks that sound so well produced, because it's making it harder and harder to perform live electronic music and reach the expected level of polish, sound quality, mix sophistication, etc. When rock 'n roll was the music of the day, live rock bands weren't competing with LPs in live venues, but live electronic music really is competing with DJs in the sense that people's expectations for what they'll hear in live venues has changed a lot.

slightly OT, sorry 'bout that.

-synthoid
Yeah a lot of super polished music in the genre I normally listen, techno and house dominated by Richie Hawtin, Sven Vath, Villalobos, Carola and so on... But really lacking a lot of soul. There is really a handful of djs that dont bore me to death. And checking the vinyl and digital output in the store, it's really hard to find awesome music.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for the record, just because something is polished and well-produced doesn't automatically mean it's boring and lacks soul. That attitude is often born as an excuse for your own inferior production. I know I love to trash the big guys too and then when I'm objective about it my music sounds like dog**** in comparison and it's really jealousy I feel. Oh well, strap on the big-boy boots and keep movin. Anyways, how deep are you gonna get when you're blasting club tunes for teenagers? You guys really expecting to hear beethoven's 9th when you go dancing?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean ➡️
You guys really expecting to hear beethoven's 9th when you go dancing?
Well, the 5th did pretty good on the disco circuit...why not the 9th?

Regards,
Frank
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean ➡️
for the record, just because something is polished and well-produced doesn't automatically mean it's boring and lacks soul. That attitude is often born as an excuse for your own inferior production. I know I love to trash the big guys too and then when I'm objective about it my music sounds like dog**** in comparison and it's really jealousy I feel. Oh well, strap on the big-boy boots and keep movin. Anyways, how deep are you gonna get when you're blasting club tunes for teenagers? You guys really expecting to hear beethoven's 9th when you go dancing?
Nothing to do with my own music, purely as a music fan.

"Unpolished" (makes me happy)

"Polished" (gives me a headache)

P.S. There's no such thing as "inferior" in music. It's Art, not a contest.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➡️
When I see the Thinking Man picture, somehow Trent Reznor from NIN pops in my head and how carefully crafted and polished The Downward Spiral was. Despite how heavy the guitars were and given the nature of it's tribute to musical noise, it's still an electronic album underneath, meticulously thought out. It wouldn't have been the same album otherwise. Good quality electronic/dance music by nature is based on it being well thought out, if not, it ends up sounding sloppy, repetative and lazy. And let me say, IMO, a lot of dance music out there that is not "polished" is what has given electronic dance music a bad wrap.
Indeed. Still an electronic album underneath

Like I said, it doesn't have to always be a sausage-fest when it comes to good electronic music.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
P.S. There's no such thing as "inferior" in music. It's Art, not a contest.
You know, that's exactly the attitude I hate most when it comes to artists. "I'll just throw some paint in a splatter pattern on a canvass and ask $50,000 for it." Bull****.

The music industry IS a competition.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You know, that's exactly the attitude I hate most when it comes to artists. "I'll just throw some paint in a splatter pattern on a canvass and ask $50,000 for it." Bull****.

GRRRR YEAH MAN, GONNA DO TWO HUNDRED CHIN-UPS THEN GET INTO THE STUDIO AND MAKE THOSE F**KIN DROPS SIIIIIIIC*** BRO. GONNA SHOW THAT PUSSY SKRILLEX WHO'S THE BOSS. YEAH BABY, WOOOOO, *bangs chest*.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
GRRRR YEAH MAN, GONNA DO TWO HUNDRED CHIN-UPS THEN GET INTO THE STUDIO AND MAKE THOSE F**KIN DROPS SIIIIIIIC*** BRO. GONNA SHOW THAT PUSSY SKRILLEX WHO'S THE BOSS. YEAH BABY, WOOOOO, *bangs chest*.
Brassica, what audience do you want to appeal to? If you like gay club music, then by all means do it.

Don't complain to me, just do it. I'm just saying electronic dance music is not all gay club music.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
electronic dance music is not all gay club music.
since when?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarekroh ➡️
i dont make electronic music for other people. i make it for my self.. if anyone else likes it.. well thats just a bonus.
+10000
You obviously get it.
So much better this way, IMO

By the way the guy in the OP looks pretty below average to me. LOL
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In the early days people didn't even watch the "synth band" because they were too busy dancing. That's when you know it's good.

Deleted 9b8a453
Quote:

That's kind of ignorant really. People make music for self expression/satisfaction too you know, and that's how alot of great trends have been started. It starts in the basements n' bedrooms of people who are self driven to create something new.

The music industry may be "a competition" for some people, but those same people are the kind of wank - offs that make the music industry so ****ing tiresome. That's why trends die and sometimes destroy the genres that they glorified.

Take Nirvana for example. Pure teen angst basement type ****. Brilliant, original stuff. They were not a "competitive" bunch of guys. Their music sold because it was good and new and not wank like most rock music had become, due to the "competitive" thing. Bands like Def Lepper had made it so that you had to spend a million dollars just to make an album that sounded competitive.

Then other fake bands come later and say "oh, we're going to be like Nirvana and sell a million records n tour and have lot's a girls"
The business man says "Yes, and I'm going to get rich" and that's when the music industry becomes "competitive."

Another point about this is FREEDOM. If I want to make a splatter on the canvas and ask $50000 for it, who are you to complain? Were you a potential buyer? Personally, I think that anyone who can sell a paint splattered canvas for $50 is some kind of criminal genius and deserves some kind of respect.

But you forget that it's a FREE COUNTRY and we can make up any old **** and sell it at any price we choose! YEE HAA!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN ➡️
That's kind of ignorant really. People make music for self expression/satisfaction too you know, and that's how alot of great trends have been started. It starts in the basements n' bedrooms of people who are self driven to create something new.

The music industry may be "a competition" for some people, but those same people are the kind of wank - offs that make the music industry so ****ing tiresome. That's why trends die and sometimes destroy the genres that they glorified.

Take Nirvana for example. Pure teen angst basement type ****. Brilliant, original stuff. They were not a "competitive" bunch of guys. Their music sold because it was good and new and not wank like most rock music had become, due to the "competitive" thing. Bands like Def Lepper had made it so that you had to spend a million dollars just to make an album that sounded competitive.

Then other fake bands come later and say "oh, we're going to be like Nirvana and sell a million records n tour and have lot's a girls"
The business man says "Yes, and I'm going to get rich" and that's when the music industry becomes "competitive."

Another point about this is FREEDOM. If I want to make a splatter on the canvas and ask $50000 for it, who are you to complain? Were you a potential buyer? Personally, I think that anyone who can sell a paint splattered canvas for $50 is some kind of criminal genius and deserves some kind of respect.

But you forget that it's a FREE COUNTRY and we can make up any old **** and sell it at any price we choose! YEE HAA!
I think you missed his point. You ever been to the MoMA? The **** they try to pass off as "art" their is laughable. Then there is actually really good stuff. I mean there is legit paint splatters on a canvas that are featured. I dont want to use the H word, but I see his point.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…