Echo Unit facts and advice #1 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Echo Unit facts and advice #1
Old 13th May 2006 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
and echo-unit... you, my friend... to use the parlance of our times.... uhh, heheh... you are a human paraquat.

giving bunk advice to needy little urban achievers, you are scum, man!!
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyko/Acoustics
I've never been entirely satisfied with the Thai curries I've had, maybe I need to try some new places.

I love Indian food, tho.

No, don't mix Coke or Pepsi with Thai... Beer is the only answer!

Chaz, glad to return the favour... I'm outta here!
You must try Ma Po Spicy Tofu with a beer/cola chaser. Szechuan never tasted sooo good!
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
In high school I was a foreign exchange student + had a lot of exchange student friends. So, I'm over @ this Japenese girls house with a bunch of other exchange students + she's making all of us an authentic Japanese meal.

Now, I'm really into foreign foods, culture + people, and I really like to experience things in the most authentic way I can. Ya know, the way people would in their home country.

The food was looking absolutely delicious + smelled amazing. So, I ask the girl what we're going to be drinking with the meal. I said, I'd really like to drink exactly what you would have @ home in Japan when you were sitting down to have this meal. And she says, okay.

So, she goes to the fridge (I couldn't wait, cuz I'd never had an authentic Japanese drink before) + get's out six cans of Coke.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Chicken, Chicken.

well... i find that drinking coke with thai food upsets my stomach.. i usually drink TAB with thai, and coke with greek food, but gosh... EVERYONE knows that pepsi is perfect with fried chicken. on a side note... if you pour regular coke into your distressor comp, and hit the nuke function the output will be diet coke... ONLY if the signal is routed through a mackie onyx. CHEERS!!!!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I know I said I was outta here, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dye
So, she goes to the fridge (I couldn't wait, cuz I'd never had an authentic Japanese drink before) + get's out six cans of Coke.
heh thumbsup

RE: the above, I haven't seen TAB since the 80s! Still around?

(Wow, with this glorious series of posts I graduated to "Gear Maniac")
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
El Nipple De Amor.

i bought a stock pile in the 80's... my bomb shelter is filled with cans and cans of TAB and Sour Powers. the TAB tastes a little funny and my urine is radioactive green when i drink it, but i think it's fine. i have grown a strange third nipple on my forehead though... but i can't seriously relate that to the TAB, my gut tells me it's the amount of compression I use on the way to my DAW.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Best... thread-jack... ever.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
When it comes to Thai food, Tom Kha Gai is so damn good!

I drink beer when I eat Thai food, or most any other food for that matter. Screw soft drinks!

But when it comes to Coke, the best kind is the Coke made with cane sugar such as you might find south of the US border.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray
Can you get away with mixing Pepsi and Thai Food, or is Coke the only answer?
It may rot your teeth, but I've found it's always nice to go back to the original, the source. The unfiltered, non squeezed..

Echo, I love ya man, but as Eddie Murphy once said::::
"Tell Echo I said to have a Coke & a smile, and shut the fukk up!"
Attached Images
Echo Unit facts and advice #1-productimage-4942-1.jpg 
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy
It may rot your teeth, but I've found it's always nice to go back to the original, the source. The unfiltered, non squeezed..

Echo, I love ya man, but as Eddie Murphy once said::::
"Tell Echo I said to have a Coke & a smile, and shut the fukk up!"

LMAO!

That quote is sooo fitting......
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy
Best... thread-jack... ever.
Agreed. And all the credit goes to Mathew.

Some of the best food I've had anywhere in the world was in Tuscany, Italy. It's just so amazing it's difficult to find words to descibe it.

The bizarre thing is, that goes to demonstrate how far above the food is there than anywhere else I've ever been, is that the dumpiest of restaurants I visited in Florence simply blew away the flavor of the finest Italian restaurants I've been to in the States.

Not to slight the chefs abilities, but it's got to be something in the soil. Cuz that's the only difference I can think of. The homegrown ingredients of the food, the flour, the tomatoes, the olive oil, the water, must give it an essence that's purely magical.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey, it takes a well-oiled collective of thugs to properly hijack such a towering heap of excrement. I'm just happy to be holding one of the shovels.

And I imagine the food in Italy is likely a lot more balanced than Italian food on this continent... though I've never been, you lucky bastid. Here, many Italian restaurants are so pasta-focused ... there's more to Italian than pasta, people!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Dz
I do believe there are couple of hijackers around here heh
Hey!!! Your little Nietzsche thingy at the bottom was taken from the encyclopedia of graffitti! And that quote was taken off a bathroom wall at the New Orleans international airport! I know because I WROTE IT!!!!! Hmmmm....do I get royalties???

P.S. Nietzsche is just as misunderstood and misquoted as the bible. And both have been overcompressed...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Some of the best food I've had anywhere in the world was in Tuscany, Italy. It's just so amazing it's difficult to find words to descibe it.

The bizarre thing is, that goes to demonstrate how far above the food is there than anywhere else I've ever been, is that the dumpiest of restaurants I visited in Florence simply blew away the flavor of the finest Italian restaurants I've been to in the States.

Not to slight the chefs abilities, but it's got to be something in the soil. Cuz that's the only difference I can think of. The ingredients of the food, the pasta, the tomatoes, the olive oil, the water, must give it an essence that's purely magical.
It's the olive oil...pure untouched, unmolested. Here we get all the great pure virgin olive oil only to have it cut to three shades of yellow, watered down ****z. At least that's what my chef freind mentioned as he let me taste soem pure un cut stuff. Went well with a tab/wolfblass chaser....

p.s. Damn!! I'm late!! Gotta fly
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I never wear a Thai to work.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Red wine and a Coke is nice too. Some actually pour the two together. I believe it's a Spainsh thing. I keep 'em separate. Dual mono beverages. I do enjoy interleaved beer, such as a black and tan.

Great hijack!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Red Wine and Coke? Now *this* sounds spectacular. On my way to the wine store.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit
Get a distressor!!!!!!!!

It's the comp that does every instrument really well. Ask anyone.

Drums - very complicate, another discussion entirely.

Bass - ratio 4:1 or 6:1 compress about 10dB to 14dB Attack 5.4 release 3.7

AC guitar strummed - Ratio 10:1 10 to 14 dB of comp attack 3 release 9

E-guitar - ratio 6:1 10 to 14 dB of comp attack 5.5 relelase 4

Voices - ratio 10:1 14 to 17 dB of comp attack 5 release 3.5

Always compress when recording! It does 3 things.

Gets you nice even levels so that you don't have to do crazy automation or riding of the fader levels too much after...just push up the faders and your mix is there.

Everything is even and all the articulation of your performances are clearly defined.

It also allows you to get nice big and even levels onto your recording medium without having the meters so low at some points and then almost clipping at others. It controls the dynamics of the playing to make everything well heard.

If you are on a budget, use your one and only expensive and really awesome hardware compressor on everything in your mix by cuttting your tracks one at a time overdub style but always start with a good groove from a drum machine or samples/loops if you are doing rhythmic music.

Software plug-in compression is soooooooo awfully terrible yuukky ****t crapola please get it off me, it hurts!!!!!!!!!! ASAP!

Software is **** my friends. get a mixing board and send your tracks out into it. Use the board EQ until you can afford some decent outboard EQ. A really great and cheap mixer is the Mackie ONYX. Sounds nothing like the Mackie's that people know. It's a new design and the EQ is useable. Get a distressor to track with after the Portico preamp and get a used Lexicon for reverb and a used Yamaha SPX for delays and modulation effects.

Never put plug-ins on your raw tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They suck the tone out of your recordings!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a test, put a waves ren eq or any eq plug-in on a track. Set the controls so the EQ is totally flat ...theoretically doing nothing right? Then go back and forth A/B...listening to the difference when you bypass the plug and when you put it on with the controls set flat.

You will be amazed at the degradation of your audio.
Wotta crackup.

Walters has a "girlfriend."
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita
Red wine and a Coke is nice too. Some actually pour the two together. I believe it's a Spainsh thing. I keep 'em separate. Dual mono beverages. I do enjoy interleaved beer, such as a black and tan.

Great hijack!
You kidding right?

How about Red-Bull with red wine?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have red wine on my cornflakes.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I agree. It´s the soil/weather. You need to try Bolivian potatoes raised at 13,00ft above sea level. Makes publix potatoes taste like plastic. Lettuce and tomatoes. Same thing.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Re: Pepsi/Coke.

Analog/Digital.

And I bet you Coke drinkers are perfectly happy with MP3's as well.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit
Echo Unit facts and advice #1
And here I thought this was about tape loops, and multiple heads.

Damn... Where's the beef?
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
And here I thought this was about tape loops, and multiple heads.
No need. We've replaced him with a plug-in... EchoBoy.

It makes less noise, is much warmer + simply less annoying to listen to.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Damn... Where's the beef?
Well that would be in north India, where they eat more meat than in the south.

Now, I like my curries really hot, and IMO the Sri Lanka style curries are best for that.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Coke "Classic" is still made from cane sugar, it's only the "new" regular coke that is made from that disgusting corn syrup...

Sounds Great, I'm not really sure what this thread's about, but I think Echo unit wants us to try mixing red wine and coca-cola at something like a 10:1 ratio, though I not sure at this point which would be the 10, and which would be the 1.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Oh just keep posting till it sounds good then throw a lil' echo in the mix.....Uh....seems to be a problem with the echo guys, can't seem to hear it. Maybe it's those damn psychoacoustics caused from too much Thai food and sugar water combined with red bull chasers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude
Hey!!! Your little Neitzsche thingy at the bottom was taken from the encyclopedia of graffitti! And that quote was taken off a bathroom wall at the New Orleans international airport! I know because I WROTE IT!!!!! Hmmmm....do I get royalties???

P.S. Neitzsche is just as misunderstood and misquoted as the bible. And both have been over compressed...
Oh ya and as far as my signature is concerned. First you must have a valid copyright in all regions and also must be a member of ASCAP or BMI and then have your publishing company contact my publisher and then we can get together for some Thai food and Coke and hash out our agreement.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Charles, do you process your Thai food ITB (in the body) or do you use external processing?

And don't just tell us what Digi would say.

War
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Why hasn't Jacklynn chimed in to offer her UNIQUE viewpoint? I'm sure her opinion will be altogether different from Echo Unit's ramblings and I'm sure she won't use almost the exact same misspellings and broken syntax.

BTW, I really like crying tiger (BBQ pork with red chili sauce) and my wife prefers pra ram w/beef (peanut sauce over spinach). When I'm really hungry, I eat my thai food OTB (out of the box). heh

-Synth80s
Old 14th May 2006 | Show parent
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Dz
...Coke and hash...
Okay, now this thread is getting somewhere.
Old 14th May 2006 | Show parent
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Charles, do you process your Thai food ITB (in the body) or do you use external processing?
External.

I always get my wife to chew it first... making the result much softer + warmer.

@ least that's what it says on pg. 238 of my Digidesign Approved Forum Responses manual.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…