The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What about basketball
Old 31st May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I've always thought Flip Saunders was a great coach. He only had one bad year in Minn and that was because some of his players (Cassell included but mostly Sprewell) laid down on him because of contract issues. I'd like to know what exactly Flip has done in this series that you would consider as bad coaching. Or what, if you were coach, would you do differently.
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Flip is a great coach. I dont see shaq not getting another ring this year.

It has nothing to do with Flip. He's just playing solid ball
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by numchukskillls
I've always thought Flip Saunders was a great coach. He only had one bad year in Minn and that was because some of his players (Cassell included but mostly Sprewell) laid down on him because of contract issues. I'd like to know what exactly Flip has done in this series that you would consider as bad coaching. Or what, if you were coach, would you do differently.
I don't know if you've followed Detroit closely or not but one of my main beefs is he has not developed the bench for the playoffs at all. Not only has he not developed the bench, but he has shrunk the bench and then hasn't given them the minutes they need to create productivity. Hasn't played Tony Delk enough at all and this guy has showed he is worth his weight ever since he's been a Piston.

Flip never draw successful plays out of timeouts...plays that at times are needed to stop a momentum or run. He does not instill disipline in his team at all. There is no way in hell Larry Brown would have allow four players to be on the 3 point line while not developing a specific play but just standing there. There is no way that LB would've allowed Chauncey to pull up and shoot a three while still in transition, before the play has developed...without him not benching Chauncey for a few along with an earfull of "what the hell is wrong with you."
Flip is not stressing defense and according to B. Wallace, hasn't practiced it in practice.
He's not gelling with these guys and you can see it in their lack of productivity on court.
Now you say, how did they win so many games during the season then?
He adopted a team that was built for championships and playoff basketball. So coaching them in games with teams that they only have to play once at a time, takes very little coaching for a championship team that knows how to win.

The playoff are totally different. Coaching becomes essential to the success a team has in a series with any team, but especially for playing against the more difficult, more experienced playoff teams. It becomes essential that a coach take advantage of mismatches, call timeouts at the proper times, bench rotation, plays out of timeouts, and at times....getting in some players faces to rally them up and/or prevent them from deviating from plays and the system. And Flip is doing none of these particularly well. At all.
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd
I don't know if you've followed Detroit closely or not but one of my main beefs is he has not developed the bench for the playoffs at all. Not only has he not developed the bench, but he has shrunk the bench and then hasn't given them the minutes they need to create productivity. Hasn't played Tony Delk enough at all and this guy has showed he is worth his weight ever since he's been a Piston.

Flip never draw successful plays out of timeouts...plays that at times are needed to stop a momentum or run. He does not instill disipline in his team at all. There is no way in hell Larry Brown would have allow four players to be on the 3 point line while not developing a specific play but just standing there. There is no way that LB would've allowed Chauncey to pull up and shoot a three while still in transition, before the play has developed...without him not benching Chauncey for a few along with an earfull of "what the hell is wrong with you."
Flip is not stressing defense and according to B. Wallace, hasn't practiced it in practice.
He's not gelling with these guys and you can see it in their lack of productivity on court.
Now you say, how did they win so many games during the season then?
He adopted a team that was built for championships and playoff basketball. So coaching them in games with teams that they only have to play once at a time, takes very little coaching for a championship team that knows how to win.

The playoff are totally different. Coaching becomes essential to the success a team has in a series with any team, but especially for playing against the more difficult, more experienced playoff teams. It becomes essential that a coach take advantage of mismatches, call timeouts at the proper times, bench rotation, plays out of timeouts, and at times....getting in some players faces to rally them up and/or prevent them from deviating from plays and the system. And Flip is doing none of these particularly well. At all.

We must be watching different games

VOODOO
Beyatch
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
We must be watching different games

VOODOO
Beyatch
LOLfuuck
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, Maurice Evans saw a little time, and Mc Dyess comes off the bench.

Dale Davis has played.

Tony Delk probably just doesn't match up well against the Heat.

Ditto for the rest of their bench.

That's why I thought it was so hilarious that you (Big 3rd) thought Detroit had more weapons.

They might have more gun shops, but certainly the Detroit Pistons are out matched by the Miami Heat.

They just don't have a guy like Dwayne Wade, who can do pretty much whatever he wants on the basketball court.

That combined with Shaq, and the rest of the team playing well, is more than the Pistons can handle.

I've been saying that Tayshaun Prince is the Pistons best player throughout these playoffs, and the guys on tv are making the same comment.

Have they been putting Posey on Tayshaun? Posey is a good, long defender, who should match up pretty well on Tay.

I think Detroit might be able to win another game, but it looks like Miami is going to the finals.

I don't think Flip Saunders is the problem either. Ben Wallace has been disgruntled for the better part of the last 2 years. Sheed is not 100%.
Old 1st June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
Well, Maurice Evans saw a little time, and Mc Dyess comes off the bench.

Dale Davis has played.

Tony Delk probably just doesn't match up well against the Heat.

Ditto for the rest of their bench.

That's why I thought it was so hilarious that you (Big 3rd) thought Detroit had more weapons.

They might have more gun shops, but certainly the Detroit Pistons are out matched by the Miami Heat.

They just don't have a guy like Dwayne Wade, who can do pretty much whatever he wants on the basketball court.

That combined with Shaq, and the rest of the team playing well, is more than the Pistons can handle.

I've been saying that Tayshaun Prince is the Pistons best player throughout these playoffs, and the guys on tv are making the same comment.

Have they been putting Posey on Tayshaun? Posey is a good, long defender, who should match up pretty well on Tay.

I think Detroit might be able to win another game, but it looks like Miami is going to the finals.

I don't think Flip Saunders is the problem either. Ben Wallace has been disgruntled for the better part of the last 2 years. Sheed is not 100%.
Couldn't disagree with you more. Obviously you haven't watched them regularly.

Flip is a good regular season coach. Very unproven coach in the post season. 11 games under .500 in post season and he had KG along with Cassell for christ sakes.
The man doesn't draw focus and discipline out of his teams like he should. When have you known the Pistons within the last 3 years to have chemistry issues? Never until now. And Flip is the only difference in this equation. If this is so much about Miami, why was it the same BS with Detroit vs. Cleveland? They underachieved big time even though they beat Cleveland.

You say Detroit doesn't have that superstar to do whatever is needed at the time...I agree with you...however it is that very reason why you need a coach that extends the teams chemistry and discipline. Otherwise, yes it will appear that Miami is too much for Detroit. The true fact is that if Detroit is playing up to their potential...Miami would not win this series. Period. Miami however is playing up to their potential and this is why Detroit is losing this series in this fashion. Yes, you could easily say, "well that is what makes the difference." True but Detroit is completely out of their range of the basketball that has bred 64 wins, 1 defensive player of the year, homecourt advantage throughout, and 4 all-stars. They're nowhere near that team right now. So IMHO, I don't feel Miami is A better team than Detroit...I feel they are the better team RIGHT NOW.

Ask yourself this, what was the difference in the Detroit team that beat Miami 3-1 in the regular season and Detroit team that is down 1-3 right now? (remember who has the experience here in the post season especially in adverse situations)
Because don't get it twisted, it is ALL ABOUT what Detroit isn't doing vs. what Miami is. Miami is playing much better basketball as a whole. Defensive...the whole nine. But their improvements still can not cover what is missing out of the typical Pistons game. Period.
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Quote:
Couldn't disagree with you more. Obviously you haven't watched them regularly.

Flip is a good regular season coach. Very unproven coach in the post season. 11 games under .500 in post season and he had KG along with Cassell for christ sakes.
The man doesn't draw focus and discipline out of his teams like he should. When have you known the Pistons within the last 3 years to have chemistry issues? Never until now. And Flip is the only difference in this equation. If this is so much about Miami, why was it the same BS with Detroit vs. Cleveland? They underachieved big time even though they beat Cleveland.

You say Detroit doesn't have that superstar to do whatever is needed at the time...I agree with you...however it is that very reason why you need a coach that extends the teams chemistry and discipline. Otherwise, yes it will appear that Miami is too much for Detroit. The true fact is that if Detroit is playing up to their potential...Miami would not win this series. Period. Miami however is playing up to their potential and this is why Detroit is losing this series in this fashion. Yes, you could easily say, "well that is what makes the difference." True but Detroit is completely out of their range of the basketball that has bred 64 wins, 1 defensive player of the year, homecourt advantage throughout, and 4 all-stars. They're nowhere near that team right now. So IMHO, I don't feel Miami is A better team than Detroit...I feel they are the better team RIGHT NOW.

Ask yourself this, what was the difference in the Detroit team that beat Miami 3-1 in the regular season and Detroit team that is down 1-3 right now? (remember who has the experience here in the post season especially in adverse situations)
Because don't get it twisted, it is ALL ABOUT what Detroit isn't doing vs. what Miami is. Miami is playing much better basketball as a whole. Defensive...the whole nine. But their improvements still can not cover what is missing out of the typical Pistons game. Period.
3rd the Difference is that it was the REGULAR season. Teams play much differently in the regular season. The playoffs are about the conditioning that you have maintained to finish with. WHich would you rather win in the regular season or the playoffs

Theres a differnce
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
3rd the Difference is that it was the REGULAR season. Teams play much differently in the regular season. The playoffs are about the conditioning that you have maintained to finish with. WHich would you rather win in the regular season or the playoffs

Theres a differnce
Now come on, you know I know that ....but my point is that we are talking about the one of the top 2 best playoff teams within the last 3 years, in the Pistons. And they are battle tested like no other team within those 3 years. If we agree with that, you can't tell me that with them having an EVEN BETTER regular season turnout, that this year shouldn't produce a overwhelmingly dominate playoff run. And since this isn't the case, you got to be scratching your head and asking yourself...hmm...how could that be? The only difference in those other successful yet less productive regular season years and this year is FLIP ****IN SAUNDERS.

If you really think that that has nothing to do with it, even as glaringly obvious as it is, either something's got to be wrong with you or you are just an extreme Pistons hater/Miami lover.

Now if you still don't agree with me, I'd love to hear why you think the Pistons are having such a bad playoff run this year, despite their uncharacteristically great regular season turnout?
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Quote:
Now come on, you know I know that ....but my point is that we are talking about the one of the top 2 best playoff teams within the last 3 years, in the Pistons. And they are battle tested like no other team within those 3 years. If we agree with that, you can't tell me that with them having an EVEN BETTER regular season turnout, that this year shouldn't produce a overwhelmingly dominate playoff run. And since this isn't the case, you got to be scratching your head and asking yourself...hmm...how could that be? The only difference in those other successful yet less productive regular season years and this year is FLIP ****IN SAUNDERS.

If you really think that that has nothing to do with it, even as glaringly obvious as it is, either something's got to be wrong with you or you are just an extreme Pistons hater/Miami lover.

Now if you still don't agree with me, I'd love to hear why you think the Pistons are having such a bad playoff run this year, despite their uncharacteristically great regular season turnout?
A great regular season means nothing in the playoffs. There 2 different games almost. Have you ever played organized ball? Did you make it to whatever the big dance was?

IT's TRULY different. You are adding up the last few years and saying that because they had a much better regular season, it automatically means they shouldnt struggle.

SORRY but that's simply not the case. Not in Peewee football/basketball, Not in High school and Not in the NBA

It's a different beast than the season. Your season standing means nothing a 100 seed can slaughter a number 3 in the playoffs. It's different.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
When have you known the Pistons within the last 3 years to have chemistry issues? Never until now.

Miami however is playing up to their potential and this is why Detroit is losing this series in this fashion.
On the first point, Ben Wallace was upset with Larry Brown for a while when he first started coaching them.

On the second point, I agree. Miami is playing up to their potential, which is the big difference in this series.

The Miami players have greater potential, so if they realize it, they should win the series.

BTW, Larry Brown would have lost this team long ago. Players can only stand so much of his constant preaching and talking down to them.
Old 2nd June 2006 | Show parent
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
I'll only add what I've said BEFORE the series started

Miami in 6
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'll only add what I've said BEFORE the series started

Miami in 6
It better be because they don't have a chance in hell back in the D.
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Quote:
It better be because they don't have a chance in hell back in the D.

I can tell from your posts you've never actually PLAYED this game we discuss.

You said they didnt have a chance in hell of winning a game in Detroit period.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I can tell from your posts you've never actually PLAYED this game we discuss.

You said they didnt have a chance in hell of winning a game in Detroit period.
Man damn, can't I hope a little. I'm a f*ckin fan man. What the hell else did you expect me to say?heh
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
DONT WORRY

You can use that big roll of tissue to wipe your tears as you and Big Ben blame it on Flip tonight.

Man I wish I would have watched Dirk hit 50.

I dont watch the games when I feel like I know the outcome before hand. (I didnt watch either Detroit victory. except for the last 3mins of the 4th quarter.)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
DONT WORRY

You can use that big roll of tissue to wipe your tears as you and Big Ben blame it on Flip tonight.

)
fuuck
Old 3rd June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Man I wish I would have watched Dirk hit 50.
i wish i didn't
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
OK EVERYBODY here disagreed with me.

Did I not say several times

MIAMI in 6
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

D. Wade was unconscious. I've never seen anyone else hit consecutive turn around jumpers like that except for Kobe.

Shaq played an inspired game. I swear he almost cried when he was being interviewed.

White Chocolate baby! J Dub was bigtime tonight.

Posey's defense was key in the series, and he wasn't bad from 3 either.
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Quote:

D. Wade was unconscious. I've never seen anyone else hit consecutive turn around jumpers like that except for Kobe.

Shaq played an inspired game. I swear he almost cried when he was being interviewed.

White Chocolate baby! J Dub was bigtime tonight.

Posey's defense was key in the series, and he wasn't bad from 3 either.

Man this team has more talent than ANY in the league. That's why I say if Miami players play to their potential, then Miami wins the championship.

People forget β€žWhite Chocolate, or Wade, or Shaq, Or Walker can get you 28-30 on any given night. They all have that kinda talent. It's just a matter of showing up. and Shaq is in Rare form.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Man this team has more talent than ANY in the league. That's why I say if Miami players play to their potential, then Miami wins the championship.

People forget β€žWhite Chocolate, or Wade, or Shaq, Or Walker can get you 28-30 on any given night. They all have that kinda talent. It's just a matter of showing up. and Shaq is in Rare form.
LIke I said,

Miami in 6, damnit. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gary Payton was also key in that series. He matches up well with Billups.
Old 4th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Let's go Suns!!!
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Quote:
Gary Payton was also key in that series. He matches up well with Billups.
thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry no ssl....but Dallas....

is going to tear Miami a new one. Miami is really lucky that Phoenix didn't get at them.

But I will say this... I've stepped back a little and I do realize how much better the Heat is playing. They could do it in the end if they play perfect ball for 48 min., otherwise...I feel Dallas has way to much offense for them and a little more hunger also.

I must admit that Miami definitely had more hunger than the Pistons but I think the buck stopped there. It seems like they left all their dreams with the Pistons. I hope they realize that Dallas is an even bigger task.

Prediction: Dallas in 6...but that's only if Miami is matching intensity. If not....in 5.
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Quote:
Sorry no ssl....but Dallas....

is going to tear Miami a new one. Miami is really lucky that Phoenix didn't get at them.

But I will say this... I've stepped back a little and I do realize how much better the Heat is playing. They could do it in the end if they play perfect ball for 48 min., otherwise...I feel Dallas has way to much offense for them and a little more hunger also.

I must admit that Miami definitely had more hunger than the Pistons but I think the buck stopped there. It seems like they left all their dreams with the Pistons. I hope they realize that Dallas is an even bigger task.

Prediction: Dallas in 6...but that's only if Miami is matching intensity. If not....in 5.

LOL as if your predictions matter. You have no credability and should not post anymore this season about basketball.

You said the same thing about Jersey, and then your precious mis firing pistons.

Miami can and will beat Dallas and they would have beaten the Suns as well.

You fail to see what Miami has. LOL you really think they have far less talent than all the other teams.

And Still them BEATING the other teams doesnt prove it to you.

Dirk will be the only matchup problem, but So will Shaq, Wayde, White Chocolate, Walker

Advantage Miami

Sure Dallas has a stellar offense, if you ever played this game, you would know that being forced to play D makes the offense suffer.
Old 5th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I hope Dwayne Wade wipes his ass with J. Terry's face. **** Dallas
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
LOL as if your predictions matter. You have no credability and should not post anymore this season about basketball.

You said the same thing about Jersey, and then your precious mis firing pistons.

Miami can and will beat Dallas and they would have beaten the Suns as well.

You fail to see what Miami has. LOL you really think they have far less talent than all the other teams.

And Still them BEATING the other teams doesnt prove it to you.

Dirk will be the only matchup problem, but So will Shaq, Wayde, White Chocolate, Walker

Advantage Miami

Sure Dallas has a stellar offense, if you ever played this game, you would know that being forced to play D makes the offense suffer.

So WHAT!!! LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax
I hope Dwayne Wade wipes his ass with J. Terry's face. **** Dallas
That's what they call "Terry Cloth" toiletpaper! heh

I'm a bit surprised that some NBA analysts have picked Dallas.

Are you kidding me? (!)

I'm pretty sure Miami will be using that new Mark Cuban toilet paper print.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…