How to promote a MIXTAPE! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to promote a MIXTAPE!
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How to promote a MIXTAPE!

Hey fellow slutz, how y'all doin?

Today I wanna talk about promoting a mixtape.
I think this is an interesting topic to many of us.

With the online-beat-hustle being sooo big right now,
t's kind of hard for a starving producer to get some exposure.
Not only A, but B, C, and even F-class artist's getting send to death with beats from producers all over the world who won't even charge them a penny for using their hard work.

Another way of promoting your beats is by doing remixes or even whole mixtapes. That's just another opportunity to get your name out there and make people familiar with your music.

Back in the days you would have to invest a couple hundred bucks to burn CDs and print covers and ask the local bootlegger to re-sell your mixtapes to the streets.

Nowadays the internet is giving anybody who want's to promote a product great opportunities to do it for free, while targeting a much larger audience of consumers.

Let's share some ideas on what opportunities there are regarding the promotion of a mixtape!

Discussion rule one: The mixtape is for free.
Discussion rule two: That means that there is ZERO BUDGET for promotion = $0.

Time to plot on some guerilla marketing strategies

- What blogs/ sites/ forums would you recommend?
- What online communities?
- Would you place ads?
- Is the name of the mixtape important?
- Is the artist important?
- The features?

Have a nice day!
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lightbulb

I ran into the same issue towards the end of the summer.

So i decided to create a website for my free beat tapes

Radio Friendly Beats

From there, im just working on getting the serious hip hop bloggers to write a review on it, once i get the content up.

After that, I got a few strategies for soundclick,myspace,youtube,twitter, which just consists of me adding similar friends of interest, and joining groups that do what i do, or can benefit from what i offer. And staying consistent on my messaging. Setting a certain number per day or per week.

Start to keep up a mailing list, for sure, to make this much easier as time progresses.

And the hardest, getting paid advertisement type of slots, for free...

which deals alot with bartering. But since im offering beats, alot of rappers with websites will do it in exhange for beats.

Hopefully by spring, ill have enough content and following..to help me fundal a bigger local campaign, with pressed CDs, Posters, Business cards..without using any of my own money.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Amokk ➑️
Hey fellow slutz, how y'all doin?

Today I wanna talk about promoting a mixtape.
I think this is an interesting topic to many of us.

With the online-beat-hustle being sooo big right now,
t's kind of hard for a starving producer to get some exposure.
Not only A, but B, C, and even F-class artist's getting send to death with beats from producers all over the world who won't even charge them a penny for using their hard work.

Another way of promoting your beats is by doing remixes or even whole mixtapes. That's just another opportunity to get your name out there and make people familiar with your music.

Back in the days you would have to invest a couple hundred bucks to burn CDs and print covers and ask the local bootlegger to re-sell your mixtapes to the streets.

Nowadays the internet is giving anybody who want's to promote a product great opportunities to do it for free, while targeting a much larger audience of consumers.

Let's share some ideas on what opportunities there are regarding the promotion of a mixtape!

Discussion rule one: The mixtape is for free.
Discussion rule two: That means that there is ZERO BUDGET for promotion = $0.

Time to plot on some guerilla marketing strategies

- What blogs/ sites/ forums would you recommend?
- What online communities?
- Would you place ads?
- Is the name of the mixtape important?
- Is the artist important?
- The features?

Have a nice day!
By Any Means Necessary
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
make sure it's mixed..

I remember the word mixtape meant it was actually mixed. Now it seems to be another word for a compilation of songs that didn't go on an album.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthefuture ➑️
I ran into the same issue towards the end of the summer.

So i decided to create a website for my free beat tapes

Radio Friendly Beats

From there, im just working on getting the serious hip hop bloggers to write a review on it, once i get the content up.

After that, I got a few strategies for soundclick,myspace,youtube,twitter, which just consists of me adding similar friends of interest, and joining groups that do what i do, or can benefit from what i offer. And staying consistent on my messaging. Setting a certain number per day or per week.

Start to keep up a mailing list, for sure, to make this much easier as time progresses.

And the hardest, getting paid advertisement type of slots, for free...

which deals alot with bartering. But since im offering beats, alot of rappers with websites will do it in exhange for beats.

Hopefully by spring, ill have enough content and following..to help me fundal a bigger local campaign, with pressed CDs, Posters, Business cards..without using any of my own money.
Very nice concept!
I like your website bro it looks very solid.

You might aswell take a look at soundclick for some extra exposure.

Thx for replying!
zzz
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
FREE.. ? why ?
zzz
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i think listeners zone is close.
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That means that there is ZERO BUDGET for promotion = $0.
I'm not a professional but I assume it's impossible to promote a compilation successfully with a budget of 0,- €.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not sure if I was being clear enough heh

I mean "mixtape" similar to this stuff: The #1 online hip-hop store for the latest mixtapes, dvds, & clothing : MixtapeBuzz.com

Not compilation, album, best of, greatest hits or demotape...

And this is not for comercial purposes it is just to gain attention.

There is no income so there is no investment.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I am creating a free EP that I will leave in as many areas as possible. It will have about 5 completed songs and about 7 instrumentals to create awareness about "Purple Airlines".

I will also be offering 50% to any sale made via a referral.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Exclamation

DatPiff :: The Authority in Free Mixtapes

Hear-It-First.Net

those are my go tos!!!

feel free to check mine [email protected]

djcodeman's Profile @ DatPiff.com
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
making good music and friendly conversation exceeds any promotion on any mixtapes..
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman ➑️

Thanks alot.

DatPiff could def come in handy!

Hear-It-First.net is down though

I will check out your mixtapes by tonight.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Subscribin'!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz ➑️
FREE.. ? why ?
Because he doesnt want to get sued.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by datniggabeon1 ➑️
making good music and friendly conversation exceeds any promotion on any mixtapes..
Not true. It helps but just having a great product doesnt mean its going to move. Trust me Ive seen project done in my studio that were horrible fly off the shelf and others that were incredible sit dead in the water due to lack of planning. For mixtapes there is still nothing like pumping them out of your trunk master p style. The problem I see is alot or rapper come at the game half ass'd. You can tell alot about an artist just on thier quality alone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
mixtapes are sooo 1995

but seriously...

it's not a tape and more importantly it's not even mixed.

only thing worse is dudes calling their mash-ups remixes
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obitheincredible ➑️
Subscribin'!
Yeah right but this would only be effective front up.

Which leads to -> how to get visitors to your page to subscribe!?

That's like having to sacrafice a whole mixtape just to get attention for the next one...isn't it?

Or do you have a particular idea?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just because you are not making any money directly from the mixtape does not mean that you should not spend money promoting it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah right but this would only be effective front up.

Which leads to -> how to get visitors to your page to subscribe!?

That's like having to sacrafice a whole mixtape just to get attention for the next one...isn't it?

Or do you have a particular idea?
I was just subscribin to this thread....
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian! ➑️
Just because you are not making any money directly from the mixtape does not mean that you should not spend money promoting it.
Do you really think thats necessary these days?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superiorsound ➑️
Not true. It helps but just having a great product doesnt mean its going to move. Trust me Ive seen project done in my studio that were horrible fly off the shelf and others that were incredible sit dead in the water due to lack of planning. For mixtapes there is still nothing like pumping them out of your trunk master p style. The problem I see is alot or rapper come at the game half ass'd. You can tell alot about an artist just on thier quality alone.
Trust me, iv'e seen a cat selling on the corner $1 ep's ..to getting signed to Hiero Imperium with no promotion, just cuz his music and rapping was good.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
and the cold part about is, that his ep was better then his actual album.lol
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
sorry about all the replys, but The Game was the only rapper to do it, and nobody had his mixtapes.
Old 5th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One thing to realize is that free doesn't mean it will be significantly easier to have sucess, if any easier at all. It is hard enough to have to sort through free music, much less take the time to download it. I know I am not alone in the fact where I don't see free and don't take advantage of it. Really, I am on mixtapes I haven't downloaded.

I am speaking more from an end user obviously. Most your downloads will be from friends/aquantances. If you are not well known on a website, your promotion's response will not be that good either.

My advice would be to have the music streamed easily without having to click a bunch of links. Then make sure your music is quality. Many people are going to pay for good music before they take medicure music for free. You do have a big population of people who don't pay for any music, reguardless if it supposed to be free.

Again, this is the perspective of an end user. I have put out free stuff myself but on very small scales (100 people most, most I assume knew who I was). Use advenues where people know you, don't disregaurd your local area either. I think the net makes people think so much more can happen than local, freeing up the amount of local artists, giving you an easier time handing things out. It isn't like back in the day, you don't have 10 other people doing the same thing in the same area.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Agree. Free doesn't mean instant success. I gave my EP out for free - which was definetely a good decision - I had about 10 000 downloads, had very good responses, a few blogs and sites wrote about it but it's clear that there are places where you can't get even with good free music (=what people like).

I'm in Hungary and it's different I know, but I guess it's the same about free stuff out there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Prod. ➑️
Agree. Free doesn't mean instant success. I gave my EP out for free - which was definetely a good decision - I had about 10 000 downloads, had very good responses, a few blogs and sites wrote about it but it's clear that there are places where you can't get even with good free music (=what people like).

I'm in Hungary and it's different I know, but I guess it's the same about free stuff out there.
Thx for replying I was one of the 10.000 downloaders. Even though I'm not familiar with the language I gotta give big props to you for the sound. Very good work.

Depending the free-not-free debate: Personally I will pay for good music even if the artist is unknown, BUT I won't pay for it if he keeps running up on me like "yo bro, what's up? I'm a rapper, would you buy this CD? It's only 20 bucks man. I got a hundred tracks on there. I'm the best rapper...you'll see"...get the f*** outta here fuuck

Most of all: I know I was keeping things general with this thread but I was mainly thinking of promoting things like a 2Pac mixtape or a Eminem mixtape, not a "I'm an underground rapper"-mixtape. So there's allready gonna be an interest into the music because consumerx are allready familiar with the artist.

I would offer those for free...but where and how would you promote it? heh
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thx for replying I was one of the 10.000 downloaders. Even though I'm not familiar with the language I gotta give big props to you for the sound. Very good work.
thank you I really appreciate it

Quote:
Most of all: I know I was keeping things general with this thread but I was mainly thinking of promoting things like a 2Pac mixtape or a Eminem mixtape, not a "I'm an underground rapper"-mixtape. So there's allready gonna be an interest into the music because consumerx are allready familiar with the artist.

I would offer those for free...but where and how would you promote it? heh
now that's another thing. You have to seperate your tape from the hundred thousand 2Pac/Eminem remixes. You have to create something unique, like creating new instrumentals for famous songs. With concept, intro-outro, hooks, and make sure they're well-mixed. A lot of people (including me) loosing interest about mixtapes, because a 80% of them are nothing more than horrible-sounding crappy works.

Make everything you can to avoid the "just another mixtape" response. Plus good cover art never hurts.

For serious promotion, you have to spend money. Contact blogs/sites and try to make some business. Maybe some of them'll like it and offer some banner ad for free. If you have connections, use them.

If you don't want to spend money, there's not so much you can do except spamming every forum and myspace profile.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Prod. ➑️
thank you I really appreciate it

now that's another thing. You have to seperate your tape from the hundred thousand 2Pac/Eminem remixes. You have to create something unique, like creating new instrumentals for famous songs. With concept, intro-outro, hooks, and make sure they're well-mixed. A lot of people (including me) loosing interest about mixtapes, because a 80% of them are nothing more than horrible-sounding crappy works.

Make everything you can to avoid the "just another mixtape" response. Plus good cover art never hurts.

For serious promotion, you have to spend money. Contact blogs/sites and try to make some business. Maybe some of them'll like it and offer some banner ad for free. If you have connections, use them.

If you don't want to spend money, there's not so much you can do except spamming every forum and myspace profile.
Of course it would be all new music. I'm not planing on making a mixtape where allready released tracks beeing faded in and out with each other heh
We'll see.

What did you do for the 10.000 downloads of your EP?
Old 6th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Of course it would be all new music. I'm not planing on making a mixtape where allready released tracks beeing faded in and out with each other heh
We'll see.

What did you do for the 10.000 downloads of your EP?
Created a nice myspace, a nice website, cool banners. I posted them everywhere I could. Sent a message to the biggest hungarian rap sites/blogs. A famous artist who I already knew liked the stuff, and wrote about me on his site (which is one of the 2 biggest sites here). That gave me a lot of clicks. A few other sites posted links, and a few blogs wrote about me positive critics. I also used some forum posts. I also found some websites where you can upload music.

and then a lot of guys started to share my stuff, created youtube videos for my songs so now the machine works without me. I haven't spend big amounts of money. but I'll spend more on my next ****. I think good myspace/cover art gets a lot of attention.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…