Quantcast
Visiting Dallas TX for a few days... wanna hang out? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Visiting Dallas TX for a few days... wanna hang out?
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Visiting Dallas TX for a few days... wanna hang out?

Hi everyone. I'm visiting Dallas TX for a few days. I'm here right now, staying until next wednesday. Kinda considering moving here from Albuquerque. I have a lot of family in this region, my brother and sister both live here now. Sis just had her first baby, I'm an uncle now! Albuquerque is feeling a little long in the tooth, so I have been wondering if Dallas could be a cool place to start over.

Anyway, while I'm here I would love to meet some studio culture guys. Maybe see a cool facility or two, have a cocktail and shoot the breeze. Make some new friends, maybe. Hell, I'd love to play some guitar on someone's record just for fun! ...Or bass, or drums... that would be very cool.

Anyone out there in the Dallas/FT Worth area that's interested in sharing their world with me briefly? It would really be nice to get a real feel for some music and recording culture here and not just wonder about stuff in my head. It would also be nice to hear opinions about the music and recording scene in Dallas right now.

PM me, or just post your stories and feelings about Dallas... thanks everyone!

BTW, I'm going to see Will Johnson of centro-matic and south san gabriel tonight at the Doublewide. Can't wait, he is one of my favorites!

a little personal background:

I've been playing in bands and making records in Albuquerque since 1990.
Mostly playing guitar, but in the last 7 years a lot of drums, too.
I've written and recorded at least 5 records of my own material since 1995, as well as 2 cover albums. I started recording bands in 1993 guerilla style, moving my small rig around and doing one-off recording and mixing sessions. Mostly post punk back then. Got to work with some future legends the Shins!! (back then they were called Flake...) Also made a record for a band called Scared of Chaka (featuring Dave Hernandez, who is now in the Shins as well.) Those were crazy times. Then I stopped doing the mobile thing in 1998, and became the house engineer for a funky little studio with 2 ADATs and a mackie 24x8. Everything from metal demos to radio commercials to forensic cleanup work. That's around the time I started getting more serious about my own recordings. I am still haunting that same facility, it's a pretty cool little room. No longer engineering for the owner's clients, it's been more about my private projects for several years now. Recent completed recordings include records for Albuquerque (or former Albuquerque) artists The Oktober People, Jason Daniello, Ben Hathorne aka the Hopefuls. I mixed the first Nels Andrews record "sunday shoes". One of the coolest recent records I made was for the Lowlights. Also, my band 'of god and science' made our record here at my place, and I'm very proud of that album.

In the past few years I have recorded and mixed with the following gear, configured in every conceivable way. (I have been indulging a bad habit of tearing apart my stuff and rebuilding it in an attempt to find the "ultimate" setup. YUK. it has taught me system design, though...)

Digi 001, 002, 003
Tascam 38 8-track
Blackface ADATs
Tascam M520 console
Mackie 24x8 console
Biamp 1642 console (for the preamps)
No console at all
UA M610 preamp
ART MPA preamp
ART VLA
Symetrix 501
DBX 163x's
Ashly SC66A EQ
Neumann U87ai
Neumann TLM 103
AKG 414 buls pair
AKG 414 TLII
Sennheiser 421
MXL V67
Sterling Audio ST77
AT 3035
various dynamic mics...

If you want, check out the following myspace links for some of my work:

of god and science on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos (every mix on there is from the record)

Lowlights on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos (under the sun and my revolver are my mixes)

Thanks all! (btw, I have an identical thread to this one, over at tapeop.com)
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…