Quantcast
Recommend a movie! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend a movie!
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Post Recommend a movie!

Now that I joined Netflix, I'm watching lots of movies.

Two more with a major thumbs up. The Hurricane, and Transsiberian. Both were quite excellent.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I finally got to see Sin City. Great movie. Mickey Rourke was excellent. Most of the cast was actually, well worth renting or buying
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute ➑️
I finally got to see Sin City. Great movie. Mickey Rourke was excellent. Most of the cast was actually, well worth renting or buying
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK here's an odd one to recommend, but I just watched it again for the first time in forever, and saw it in a new light:

Robocop.

It's on HULU so you can go watch it now.

Aside from the obvious entertainment and story-line of a resurrected cop being mind-wiped and turned into a machine, I realized the film was CHOCK FULL of political statements and commentary on culture. Nearly every scene had something to say... and I realized that a large portion of the film was intended to be tongue firmly planted in cheek- with some overblown cliches that seemed to be just for the hell of it.

It's worth it for the sound design alone-- seems like they just wanted to have fun (I swear they use a tr-808 or 909 tom-tom for Robocop's walking...)

When you are young, most of this goes over your head when it's all about a kick-ass robot-man, but being able to sit back and observe it from a difference perspective is very entertaining.

Incredible 80's movie.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Chocolat.

What a great movie! It was up for the Oscar, should have won. thumbsup
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you haven't seen already....

Being John Malkovitch.

Also

Crumb.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Being There
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the people under the stairs.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sleepy Hollow
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20 ➑️
OK here's an odd one to recommend, but I just watched it again for the first time in forever, and saw it in a new light:

Robocop.

It's on HULU so you can go watch it now.

Aside from the obvious entertainment and story-line of a resurrected cop being mind-wiped and turned into a machine, I realized the film was CHOCK FULL of political statements and commentary on culture. Nearly every scene had something to say... and I realized that a large portion of the film was intended to be tongue firmly planted in cheek- with some overblown cliches that seemed to be just for the hell of it.

It's worth it for the sound design alone-- seems like they just wanted to have fun (I swear they use a tr-808 or 909 tom-tom for Robocop's walking...)

When you are young, most of this goes over your head when it's all about a kick-ass robot-man, but being able to sit back and observe it from a difference perspective is very entertaining.

Incredible 80's movie.
You just realized that? Cool, well now you can go back and watch all of Paul Verhoeven's films and enjoy them for the same reason, since what you just described is the Verhoeven trademark.

Starship Troopers, Basic Instinct, Total Recall, Showgirls- they all are full of that tongue-in-cheek satire. I think half the joke is that so many viewers don't realize that he is making fun of them since he mostly doesn't dumb the satire down.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Two that you may not have heard of that are Henry Fool and its sequel, Fay Grim. To me, the plot twist between these two films rivals the plot twist in Star Wars for impact. (You know, the plot twist...)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Shawshank Redemption, if you haven't seen it already (most people have, I'd imagine).
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew ➑️
Being There
I watched this tonight.

Wow, what a bizarre and interesting movie. Seems like a much more intelligent Forest Gump story (which I hated, b.t.w.)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante ➑️
You just realized that? Cool, well now you can go back and watch all of Paul Verhoeven's films and enjoy them for the same reason, since what you just described is the Verhoeven trademark.

Starship Troopers, Basic Instinct, Total Recall, Showgirls- they all are full of that tongue-in-cheek satire. I think half the joke is that so many viewers don't realize that he is making fun of them since he mostly doesn't dumb the satire down.

Very interesting, and now it's much more obvious. Having watched them when I was so much younger, Total Recall was just all about Mars and 3 boobies, Showgirls was about... well, boobies, and Basic Instinct.. you get the idea.

Starship Troopers, however, I indeed got the satire. It was odd, though, because I had read the book long before that and there was no satire that I could detect.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lord of the Flies 1990 version...

Hard Candy
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When it comes out on Netflix: the Wrestler. excellent.
Currently on Netflix: The Lookout. (kinda went overlooked)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc ➑️
When it comes out on Netflix: the Wrestler. excellent.
Currently on Netflix: The Lookout. (kinda went overlooked)
The Lookout was GREAT! REALLY overlooked. Blindness is another one that was overlooked... Probably because it was a lil disturbing...
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Very interesting, and now it's much more obvious. Having watched them when I was so much younger, Total Recall was just all about Mars and 3 boobies, Showgirls was about... well, boobies, and Basic Instinct.. you get the idea.

Starship Troopers, however, I indeed got the satire. It was odd, though, because I had read the book long before that and there was no satire that I could detect.
He was satirizing the fascism found in a lot of sci-fi from that era, including the book that he was making a movie of. That's why there isn't any satire in the book, and the movie makes a farce of the whole thing. Heinlein in particular gets a lot of critique for his fascist themes. Starship Troopers also has overtones of racism and militarism, and you see Verhoeven's critique on that as well in the film if you look for it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante ➑️
He was satirizing the fascism found in a lot of sci-fi from that era, including the book that he was making a movie of. That's why there isn't any satire in the book, and the movie makes a farce of the whole thing. Heinlein in particular gets a lot of critique for his fascist themes. Starship Troopers also has overtones of racism and militarism, and you see Verhoeven's critique on that as well in the film if you look for it.
That indeed puts it into perspective. I used to read a lot of science fiction... When I read Starship Troopers I DID detect the racism and militarism- afterall, the soldiers were basically nuking villages towards the end without any thought.. and laughing about it.

I assumed, though, that this was Heinlein's OWN warning about the future, almost in a 1984ish sort of way. Perhaps it was (I never read any analysis of either the book or the movie).. but I guess Verhoeven took it in another bizarre direction.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I liked most of the deaths in the Final Destination series. Dunno what the movies were like though
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here you go:

Jean De Florette / Manon Des Sources
The Third Man
Ghostworld
The Hudsucker Proxy
My Life As A Dog
The Double Life Of Veronique
Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (70s one with Donald Sutherland)
The Paper Chase
Midnight Run
Imitation Of Life
Central Station
Knocked Up
The Threepenny Opera (30s German)
Night On Earth
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Good list!
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
That indeed puts it into perspective. I used to read a lot of science fiction... When I read Starship Troopers I DID detect the racism and militarism- afterall, the soldiers were basically nuking villages towards the end without any thought.. and laughing about it.

I assumed, though, that this was Heinlein's OWN warning about the future, almost in a 1984ish sort of way. Perhaps it was (I never read any analysis of either the book or the movie).. but I guess Verhoeven took it in another bizarre direction.
It's not a warning like 1984, but Heinlein's imagined future.

Most 50's sci-fi is like that. As with most cultural artifacts from the past it's a little hard for us to situate it in proper context now because of everything that has come after.

I wouldn't call myself a sci-fi fan but I read a lot of it too, along with everything else I could get my hands on when I was a kid.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
How about some Cohen Bros flicks?
Lebowski
No Country for Old Men
Burn After Reading
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Can't go wrong with the Coens!

Here's a few films I like:

M
Woyzek
Fitzcarraldo
Un Flic
Le Samourai
Persona
Wild Strawberries
Soy Cuba
Stalker
The Sacrifice
The Trial (Welles)
Touch of Evil
Weekend
Jules and Jim
Hannah and her Sisters
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Roma
Last Year at Marienbad
The Woman in the Dunes
Celine and Julie Go Boating
Bullit
The French Connection
The Battle of Algiers
Martha
Taxi Driver
Chinatown
Burn
Three Colours
The Decalouge
Come and See

Well, I'll stop there. Lots more.

I won't guarantee you'll like them all, but you might.
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Conan the Barbarian
Snatch.
Easy Money
Glory
Critters
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Meant to put this one in my last post:

The Bicycle Thief
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew ➑️
Being There
Incredibly great film! I saw it again not too long ago and was sort of blown away by how relevant and timely it is now, more than a couple decades later. My mom took me to see this when it came out and I was quite young (prob. was 12 at the time) and LOVED it. In an odd and very particular way, I consider that film viewing to be a life-changing experience. Just being exposed to that dry, understated form of humor and social satire really, really effected me and shaped a certain sensibility that carried on with me into adulthood.

I really got to thinking about this at one point...how I'm quite glad that my mom used to just take me to good films...films she wanted to see - not just films she figured a "kid" would want to see (although this did happen too). Granted, that era of cinema was (and, yeah this is subjective) a "golden era" and a time & place when "good" films intersected with the mainstream much more often. Still, I imagine that the majority of folks normally just take younger kids (the 11-15 year old type of crowd), to ****-storm popcorn flicks like the Mummy or the Shaggy Dog as a knee-jerk reaction . Not that I don't enjoy a good popcorn flick and there's certainly a time and place for this, but I think it would be good practice to try and find good films to take our kids too - you know...doing our best NOT to contribute to the process of dumbing down the next generation.
Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Amen to that!
Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pans Labyrinth .
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…